Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hibrian1  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 7:46:06 PM(UTC)
hibrian1

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi, I have got an opportunity to work for a consulting firm who has contract with CBP. The offer is contingent based on my ability to successfully get the CBP clearance.
I do have current active secret clearance, is there any concerns to go through the CBP clearance? Will they contact my current employer?

Will it t have any impact on my active secret clearance?
In the worst case, if I don't get CBP clearance for some reason, does it impact my current active secret clearance?

Also, if someone can shed light on the difference in investigation between CBP and DOD clearance that would be also good.

I would appreciate your response.

Regards
Brian
Exit7A  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 12:20:22 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hibrian1 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I have got an opportunity to work for a consulting firm who has contract with CBP. The offer is contingent based on my ability to successfully get the CBP clearance.
I do have current active secret clearance, is there any concerns to go through the CBP clearance? Will they contact my current employer?

Will it t have any impact on my active secret clearance?
In the worst case, if I don't get CBP clearance for some reason, does it impact my current active secret clearance?

Also, if someone can shed light on the difference in investigation between CBP and DOD clearance that would be also good.

I would appreciate your response.

Regards
Brian

What's a CBP clearance? What Tier/Level? Need more specifics.
That's all I got to say about that.
hibrian1  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 1:14:16 PM(UTC)
hibrian1

United States

CBP stands for custom boarder police, it falls under DHS.
It is secret level.

They also mentioned they will keep my DoD secret clearance active.

Is it possible to have both clearance active?

Will the CBP clearance investigation have any impact on current secret clearance?

hibrian1  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 1:16:03 PM(UTC)
hibrian1

United States

A CBP security clearance is issued by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency, which is part of Homeland Security
Exit7A  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2019 12:02:42 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hibrian1 Go to Quoted Post
CBP stands for custom boarder police, it falls under DHS.
It is secret level.

They also mentioned they will keep my DoD secret clearance active.

Is it possible to have both clearance active?

Will the CBP clearance investigation have any impact on current secret clearance?

So here goes:

1. You have an active Secret clearance (which is a Tier 3 clearance). Many agencies will allow reciprocity (ie transfer) so long as clearance is within scope (or within a certain time frame). This is all depends on the agency.

2. Did a search for CBP clearance and come up with this (https://www.cbp.gov/careers/car/suitability). Which seems to indicate a Tier 5 (ie Top Secret) clearance.

3. The gaining agency may issue an interim (based on your current clearance) and allow you to begin work while your clearance is being processed.

So to your questions:

1. "Is it possible to have both clearance active?"; the answer is NO. Typically the clearances will just transfer between agencies so you don't really have two clearances.

2. "Will they contact my current employer?"; Yes, assuming you put them on the SF-86.

3. "Will it t have any impact on my active secret clearance?"; Depends. If you have a "clean" record, then NO. If something turns up, then it may have an impact.

Hope this helps.

Edited by user Saturday, October 12, 2019 12:03:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

That's all I got to say about that.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed