Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GRB  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 10:20:57 AM(UTC)
GRB

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi,

I'm currently a GS-13/Step 2 receiving a pay incentive (20% extra) at my current position due to a certification I hold. I was just selected for a job at the IRS (lateral move), is it possible to negotiate a higher step when moving or am I bound to just the pay scale for my position without the incentive pay?

My salary with retention pay puts me around a GS-13/Step 8. I would like to keep this pay if possible.

My SF-50 shows this pay already as well if that matters at all.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:54:03 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 973 time(s) in 774 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GRB Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I'm currently a GS-13/Step 2 receiving a pay incentive (20% extra) at my current position due to a certification I hold. I was just selected for a job at the IRS (lateral move), is it possible to negotiate a higher step when moving or am I bound to just the pay scale for my position without the incentive pay?

My salary with retention pay puts me around a GS-13/Step 8. I would like to keep this pay if possible.

My SF-50 shows this pay already as well if that matters at all.
Short answer...no, it won't be considered in pay setting. You could, however, raise the issue with the hiring official and see if they can provide the same incentive. That said, if they say no, what will you do?

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
GRB on 10/9/2019(UTC)
GRB  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 4:45:49 AM(UTC)
GRB

United States

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Short answer...no, it won't be considered in pay setting. You could, however, raise the issue with the hiring official and see if they can provide the same incentive. That said, if they say no, what will you do?
Thank you for your reply. I figured it wouldn't be included but I will definitely ask if they could match the incentive.

As for if they say no, I would have to look at my options.

Option 1 would be not leave my current position, keep the extra 20% but deal with over an hour commute each day.

Option 2 accept the new position at IRS, have only a 10min door to door commute and not have that extra 20% pay.

Hard decision and I'll just start with asking the hiring official if they can match what I have now.
GRB  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:26:42 AM(UTC)
GRB

United States

So I got a response from the IRS, stating the following:

"Yes, they would be matching the salary with my current federal employer. They would be requesting an SF-75 and using that to fill out all the necessary information and send me my firm offer letter"

I'm interpreting that as if it is listed on my SF-75 then they might match it...is my interpretation of that incorrect?
TheRealOrange  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:45:09 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GRB Go to Quoted Post
So I got a response from the IRS, stating the following: "Yes, they would be matching the salary with my current federal employer. They would be requesting an SF-75 and using that to fill out all the necessary information and send me my firm offer letter" I'm interpreting that as if it is listed on my SF-75 then they might match it...is my interpretation of that incorrect?

Is the incentive pay listed on the SF-50? If not, I don't see where it would fit into the SF-75, which asks for SF-50 information in Section B. I do see Basic Pay, Locality Adjustment, Retention Allowance, Supervisory Differential, Availability Pay, and Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime. Does the incentive pay fit into any of those categories, such as the Retention Allowance? If so, I suppose it may be considered. Best of luck.
GRB  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:58:44 AM(UTC)
GRB

United States

Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post
Is the incentive pay listed on the SF-50? If not, I don't see where it would fit into the SF-75, which asks for SF-50 information in Section B. I do see Basic Pay, Locality Adjustment, Retention Allowance, Supervisory Differential, Availability Pay, and Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime. Does the incentive pay fit into any of those categories, such as the Retention Allowance? If so, I suppose it may be considered. Best of luck.
So the pay is listed on my SF-50 in block 20D under "Other Pay" and box 20 list my total salary/award as it being included in my adjusted basic pay. I can provide a screenshot (removing all identifying information if needed).

Yeah I don't know how the SF-50 fields map to the SF-75 ones.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed