Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cwel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 2:48:17 PM(UTC)
cwel

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello folks,

Curious to know what experiences you all may have with the FSBP or other OPM FEHB plan while PCS'd to the UK?

From what I've read, we may need to be prepared to pay for everything up front and submit reimbursements after the fact? Of course dental, vision, and health care probably have their own distinct and sperate hurdles while overseas? My son has braces and my wife needs a dental implant, concerned on how those needs might be addressed / maintained overseas. Also, I tried to find rules on bringing in prescriptions, can we bring 90+ days of prescripts over during the initial move?

Thank you, hope all is well with you all.
dashplus1  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:57:31 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I used FSBP during most of my almost 14 years overseas in Okinawa, Korea and Germany. Yes, you will pay bills upfront and file claim yourself with FSBP, but I found them easy to deal with and they paid the claims relatively quickly. Filing the claims online is very easy and you only need to set up electronic transfer of their reimbursement to you. Plan on all the medical services you receive as being considered out of network. We always used the military pharmacy, as we received primary care thru them. Some countries allow you to use Express Scripts, for prescriptions. so you will need to check if that as an option for UK. I agree you should plan on bringing 90 days of medicine with you on the PCS to ease the transition. You can plan on using off-base providers for any specialty care as military hospitals/clinics may not have the capability to support DoD civilians. At least in UK you can more easily converse with physicians, so you may have many more options than I have experienced.

As you said, dental and vision are a whole different thing. You need to look over your plans very closely to see what they allow overseas and how they want you to file the claim. Again, plan for paying it all out of pocket and filing for reimbursement. Some people simply scheduled dental and other medical services back in USA when they took trips home or TDY. Clearly once you actually get a position in UK or any country, you need to talk with a civilian in that organization to get the current update on receiving medical services. At times, I was very surprised at the low cost of some off-base services we've received for medical and dental services.

Hope this helps.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed