Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikelonggggggggg  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 5:41:34 AM(UTC)
mikelonggggggggg

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
My NTFT Bid position is 36 hours per week, but I ALWAYS work at least 40 by supplementing with hours in another office. For purposes of my FERS annuity calculation, will my years as an NTFT count as the full time credit since I always worked at least 40, or will it be prorated for the 36 hour bid I am technically in. I would prefer some sort of source with your responses as it seems everyone has a different opinion on this.
RodOrRob  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 6:42:29 AM(UTC)
RodOrRob

Was thanked: 1148 time(s) in 836 post(s)
You could ask that question on this forum...

https://forum.federalsou...lt.aspx?g=topics&f=6
MPE2009  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 6:59:59 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 618 time(s) in 477 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mikelonggggggggg Go to Quoted Post
My NTFT Bid position is 36 hours per week, but I ALWAYS work at least 40 by supplementing with hours in another office. For purposes of my FERS annuity calculation, will my years as an NTFT count as the full time credit since I always worked at least 40, or will it be prorated for the 36 hour bid I am technically in. I would prefer some sort of source with your responses as it seems everyone has a different opinion on this.

You'll likely continue to get lots of opinions with no firm information. This is a relatively new job and I doubt anybody with a career job as a NTFT has retired yet. I'd suggest first that you hit OPM's web pages and look up FERS benefits in general. After that you should try contacting OPM and asking them. You might be able to also get a hold of somebody in HR for the post office that give can refer you to a good source.
Randy1  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 7:12:04 AM(UTC)
Randy1

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 82 post(s)

It does effect your annuity per say via only working 36 hrs. per year will net you only around 11 months of "service credit" for the year.

If you are continually working 40 hrs. then No it wouldn't effect it. OPM has determined that NTFT with less than 40 hrs. is a PART TIME job according to your annuity service years calculations.

On a side note: I wonder if you are being paid "out of schedule" pay ( 1 1/2 times ) for those other 4 hrs. But as with USPS management I bet I already know the answer.

"OPM has determined that such designated service, to the extent that it involves tours of duty of less than 40 hours per week or 80 hours per two-week pay period, will be treated as part-time regular service for retirement purposes.”

Edited by user Sunday, October 13, 2019 7:21:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Southernclerk  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 7:35:24 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

You'll likely continue to get lots of opinions with no firm information. This is a relatively new job and I doubt anybody with a career job as a NTFT has retired yet. I'd suggest first that you hit OPM's web pages and look up FERS benefits in general. After that you should try contacting OPM and asking them. You might be able to also get a hold of somebody in HR for the post office that give can refer you to a good source.

So right, lots of opinions. Here is my understanding. Your hours worked will go toward your FERS calculation. Out of schedule pay is calculated in, but overtime is not. I've got this gut feeling your supplemental hours in another office you are not being paid out of schedule, but wouldn't matter as far as the calculation. You worked the hours and it wasn't overtime.

With this type of setup(working additional hours outside your bid) you have to get OPM to calculate your hours, you just need to call them. I got mine in less than 2 weeks.
I worked many years as a PTF with varying hours and I worked several years as NTFT with a lot of out of schedule pay.

Aside: we all do what we need to do to make a paycheck, but you are cheating yourself if you are not getting out of schedule pay outside your 36 hours.
Hannah Blecter  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 8:43:46 AM(UTC)
Your NBA

Was thanked: 1386 time(s) in 956 post(s)
I am curious what rate you are paying. .8% (FERS), 3.1% (FERS-RAE), or 4.4% (FERS-FRAE). It does not matter as far as the answer to your question. But those hired under FERS at .8% were often disappointed to find the retirement was not what they expected. And newer hires are paying 4.4% for the same retirement.

I strongly urge you to view it as your mission to sock away as much as possible in the TSP--that is what will make your retirement a better one.

Without knowing a reference to give you, I do have an idea.

How much is taken out for retirement on a check where you work various hours? Do you have any where you only worked 72 hours? How does that compare with checks where you work 80 hours? If you have checks less than 80 and some more than 80 can you tell if they are taking out retirement on more than 80 hours to make up for others where you work less than 80?

For instance, let's say every hour you work they take out 80 cents of retirement. So if you work 72 hours it is $57.60. When you work 80 hours or more is it $64.00 or still only $57.60? If you go over 80 hours does it ever go over $64.00? Of course, use the numbers for your pay and rate.

See that number in the bottom right of your earnings statement? If you divide that by your rate, it gives you the base pay on which you paid retirement $$. Note that it updates on PP 1 of the year. So it is through the previous year and you would have to add current year deductions, which is totaled on each earnings statement. That is another way to get an idea. For instance, I have paid on $1,158,300 of base pay thru the end of last year.

If you have not worked very long, you can still use your PP and YTD deductions to see how much base pay you have paid on. That would be the way to find out if you ever pay in on over 36 hours/wk.
thepozr  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 9:33:31 AM(UTC)
thepozr

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Not going to answer the first part of your question, because I'm not sure. I would like to know your NTFT code. Are you a NTFT flex or no? If not, make sure you're getting out of schedule like the others have said.
Exit7A  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 10:46:20 AM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 141 post(s)
Think about it...you are working 36hrs in one office and 4 in another...does the PO give you two checks? So, look at your paystub...this is what is being reported with respect to your FERS.
That's all I got to say about that.
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 2:39:41 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 3011 time(s) in 2395 post(s)

your form 50 is the determining factor. the post office credits your fers account per the form 50. we had the same issue with part-time regulars when they worked extra hours. they found out when they went to retire that the only thing that counted is the form 50.

use the extra hours to fund your tsp.
Postal retired 38yrs Just Sayin' Black Live's Matter #dumptrump2020
mikelonggggggggg  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:15:26 AM(UTC)
mikelonggggggggg

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I think I figured it out. I talked with a buddy of mine that was converted to career the same time that I was, and he is now a 40 hour regular and we both get the same amount taken out for our FERS retirement. So my supplemental hours from 36 to 40 are counting towards my FERS. And regarding the out of schedule premium, that only applies to any working hours outside my normal bid UP TO the total hours of my daily work schedule which is 6, so for example, if my schedule is 945 to 445 and I work 7 to 445, I would accrue no out of schedule premium at all.
MPE2009  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:18:50 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 618 time(s) in 477 post(s)
I think I figured it out. I talked with a buddy of mine that was converted to career the same time that I was, and he is now a 40 hour regular and we both get the same amount taken out for our FERS retirement. So my supplemental hours from 36 to 40 are counting towards my FERS. And regarding the out of schedule premium, that only applies to any working hours outside my normal bid UP TO the total hours of my daily work schedule which is 6, so for example, if my schedule is 945 to 445 and I work 7 to 445, I would accrue no out of schedule premium at all.

Please verify that information with OPM or some professional that is knowledgeable in federal retirement, postal retirement in particular. You don't want this to be one of those moments where your buddy says: "Here, hold my beer. I got a great idea, just watch."
postalvet  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 5:00:20 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 3011 time(s) in 2395 post(s)

what about the time from 7 to 945??

sounds like out of schedule.
Postal retired 38yrs Just Sayin' Black Live's Matter #dumptrump2020
Randy1  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:44:04 AM(UTC)
Randy1

It amazes me how many NTFT's do not understand the MOU's on this crazy position. Even if you agree to work additional hours outside your daily/weekly bid guarantee, it IS Out of Schedule pay.

36. Are NTFT Clerks guaranteed the number of hours in their bid duty assignment?
ANSWER: Yes. The NTFT clerk's bid duty assignment establishes their minimum daily and weekly guarantee.

37.When a NTFT employee is routinely scheduled to work additional hours (compensated at the out-of-schedule rate) each week, must the assignment be reposted?
ANSWER: NTFT employees will normally work the number of hours (daily and/or weekly) identified in their bid assignment, except in an emergency.
Randy1  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:54:02 AM(UTC)
Randy1

FYI: Any time worked more than 6 in a day or 36 in a week is OOS pay.

IE: You work 1 eight hour day and take AL the rest of the week. You would receive 6 hr regular pay and 2 hrs OOS pay with the balance AL.

To answer your question on retirement accrual. In OPM's eyes, you are a part time employee and they will add up all your hours worked towards your service credit. Same as a Ptf.

Southernclerk  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 5:55:12 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Not saying MikeL is doing this but . . .
It is not uncommon that clerks that need more hours will sacrifice the extra pay due to them as PM's may not accept their working in another office otherwise. Clerks will waive travel time or mileage when THEY want the hours, guarantee minimum hours, along with the OOS pay too.

Sadly it is survival. It helps them in the now but is detrimental to the craft as a whole.

And of course, there is retribution if you do stand up. Particularly in a small office. PM's attitude is if you don't like this, you certainly won't like whats coming. Sure they will be forced to pay, but the retribution can out weigh what they come up with next.

Seriously, IMHO, the NTFT positions caused more headache. The union should have stood strong on full time positions. The contract already had a maximization clause. I hear my current PM on the phone for HOURS (no exaggeration) in attempting to schedule clerks and borrowing clerks. The USPS wastes more bucks on EAS salaries as they manipulate "flexible" schedules. Just hire the people you need. (okay, off my soap box, I know none of this going to happen)

Edited by user Friday, October 18, 2019 5:56:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed