Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ujocka  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 2:46:37 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I work in federal law enforcement as a FLSA non-exempt GS-13/4 with 25% AUO. I am currently on TDY and earning 80 hours a PP of 45 act O/T in addition to my 80 hours of base pay. I have noticed that for each hour of AUO I work in addition to the 80 hours of O/T and base pay per PP, I lose approximately $50/hr. If I work no AUO for a PP I earn approximately an additional $1000 a check. Problem is if I work no AUO my percentage will drop since I am on TDY for 60 days. This is gross pay so has nothing to do with deductions or tax withholdings. I know it has something to do with exceeding the average for FLSA but this makes no sense to me. Can anyone offer an explanation.

Thanks!

Edited by user Tuesday, October 29, 2019 2:48:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ex-military  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:31:30 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 86 post(s)
If I understand, you are working 80 hours of OT on TOP OF your normal 80 plus your 20 of AUO? Chances are you are exceeding the cap of a 15/Step 10. If your TDY doesn't waive the cap, you will be eating that time until the next calendar year. I see that all the time in my agency. Our LEO's get hosed on a regular.
ujocka  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 8:21:56 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you for the response. The FLSA portion of my pay is not counted towards the cap since I am non-exempt, but the straight time portion of overtime, the AUO without FLSA, premium pay, and the base pay does count. I am trying to understand why my gross pay appears to go down with more FLSA hours worked. I called our payroll people and they don't even understand how FLSA is calculated. They say they use a 10 step process on a spreadsheet. I asked for a copy of the spreadsheet and they said they cannot send it, and it is not self-explanatory and requires training. Typical government bureaucracy...
Endless Summer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 12:49:04 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 238 time(s) in 207 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ujocka Go to Quoted Post
...and it is not self-explanatory and requires training. Typical government bureaucracy...

And I'm betting they might not have been properly trained. Are you the only one they are doing these calcs for? If so, then it's a good bet that they are in over their heads. If not, then you'll be helping others out by taking this up.

Keep bouncing this up the chain of command, nobody is going to think this is normal...

good luck
Rss Feed  Atom Feed