Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TheSID  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 9:52:16 AM(UTC)
TheSID

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Here’s the situation. I’m currently a GS12 step 1, 2210 in Hawaii which puts my basic pay with locality and special rate at roughly $83,000. I applied for a GS12, 0301 with promotion potential to GS13. I was tentatively selected for the position. The job is in the same exact unit I’m in currently in and with the same supervisor. The 0301 series job would put my pay at around $76,000 because there is no special pay. My question: Am I entitled to pay retention? If not, should I just suck up the 6 months of decreased pay and wait for time in grade to kick in and get promoted to GS13 when my 52 weeks is complete?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 10:09:08 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 988 time(s) in 785 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheSID Go to Quoted Post
Here’s the situation. I’m currently a GS12 step 1, 2210 in Hawaii which puts my basic pay with locality and special rate at roughly $83,000. I applied for a GS12, 0301 with promotion potential to GS13. I was tentatively selected for the position. The job is in the same exact unit I’m in currently in and with the same supervisor. The 0301 series job would put my pay at around $76,000 because there is no special pay. My question: Am I entitled to pay retention? If not, should I just suck up the 6 months of decreased pay and wait for time in grade to kick in and get promoted to GS13 when my 52 weeks is complete?
Not entitled to pay retention. The special pay is for the 2210 series. You are volunteering to move to the new series.

And it may not be 6 months until the promotion, but could be 52 weeks as it is a new series. TIG is only one aspect of eligibility for promotion. Your supervisor may do so at the 52 week TIG point, or they may wait.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
TheSID  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 10:25:29 AM(UTC)
TheSID

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you. I’ll have to think about this decision for a while.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed