Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CommPlanner  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 9:59:05 AM(UTC)
CommPlanner

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hello,

I received an interview request for a position at CNIC and have been trying to figure out some things. Is this agency part of the Department of the Navy or DOD? I'm a civilian and was a bit surprised that my application was even looked at since I have no vet preference or other preferences.

It's at Navy Yard in DC. What's it like working there, especially as a civilian? I'm happy to see it's competitive service (I'm currently in excepted), but it's not a GS pay scale, but a NF one. How does that differ, if at all?

Basically I'm just looking for any info I can find on hiring process, working there, etc.

Thanks.

Edited by user Monday, November 4, 2019 12:44:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 10:05:06 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 988 time(s) in 785 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CommPlanner Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I received an interview request for a position at CNIC and have been trying to figure out some things. Is this agency part of the Department of the Navy or DOD? I'm a civilian and was a bit surprised that my application was even looked at since I have no vet preference or other preferences.

It's at Navy Yard in DC. What's it like working there, especially as a civilian? I'm happy to see it's competitive service (I'm currently in excepted), but it's not a GS pay scale, but a NS one. How does that differ, if at all?

Basically I'm just looking for any info I can find on hiring process, working there, etc.

Thanks.
It is DoN and not far from the World Series Champions, the Washington Nationals stadium (walking distance). I have a coworker who used to work there and they aren't a vet either. As for the work environment, it will depend on where you are working (IT vs HR vs EEO, etc)

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
CommPlanner on 11/4/2019(UTC)
lowendlinux  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 12:34:24 PM(UTC)
lowendlinux

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
While I know the vet thing is an actual thing..the military really does like to bring fresh blood into the organization we're not as insular as folks want to believe.

The key thing IMHO is during the interview isn't to tell whomever what you've done (no one gives a chit) it's to tell them what you can do.
thanks 1 user thanked lowendlinux for this useful post.
CommPlanner on 11/4/2019(UTC)
TheUnderverse15  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2019 5:56:34 PM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CommPlanner Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

It's at Navy Yard in DC. What's it like working there, especially as a civilian? I'm happy to see it's competitive service (I'm currently in excepted), but it's not a GS pay scale, but a NF one. How does that differ, if at all?

Thanks.

Depends on career field. Current career field I'm in, one guy last 2 months before dipping out and not telling anyone. Its unique working with guys in DC but most guys I work with are SMEs for CNIC.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed