Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bpessel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:58:17 AM(UTC)
bpessel

Groups: Registered
United States

I just received a tentative offer for a job promotion in the same agency. Here is my problem, my current position is my 1st in the government, it is GS 5/6/7. EOD was 10/28. Today is 11/5 1 year later, the new offer is a GS 5/7/9. So I have time in grade as a GS 5 as of October 28th a few days ago. My current supervisor informed me that he raised me to a gs6 and gave me a superior appraisal rating. I'm not sure if the 6 came on my anniversary date or the following start of pay period. The real problem here is.. the job posting closed 9/24 and I was only referred as a GS5 to the new job. And the TO is a GS5 step 1. Which is what I have been for 53 weeks now. The posting states to be eligible for a GS7 you must have TIG as a GS5. Which as of today I do. Does anyone know what I can do about this? Can they lower me from a GS6 to a GS5? If they do that, don't they have to give me the steps to pay the same as a GS6? Is TIG effective the date of arrival? or the closing date on the job posting? When I asked about this in the interview, they said they would have to get back to me on that, but it WONT be a GS6. Sorry but I need help.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:02:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ex-military  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:40:10 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 84 post(s)
Let's see if we have this right. You came on as a GS-5. One year later, you got bumped to a GS-6, which is correct for a 5/6/7 progression. You applied for and were offered a 5/7/9. Here is the thing, you have to have a year TIG as of the closing of the job announcement for promotion purposes. You didn't. You were short a month.

If you accept the TO, you revert back to a GS-5, but in a year you would be eligible for a promotion to a GS-7, and then to a GS-9 after that. If you stay where you are, you are capped at a GS-7. So the question becomes: Is it worth it to you, to lose a year of GS-6 pay (to which you haven't become accustomed yet) to gain a GS-9 in two years? You will be at GS-7 in a year in either case.
rbrow018  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:47:26 AM(UTC)
rbrow018

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Its a mute point because you can't get demoted in the government. As long as you receive a pay at GS6 before starting the new position you will revert back to GS5 but at the step which most closely matches the step at your GS6 pay. You will still earn the GS7 after a year.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 10:01:44 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 995 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rbrow018 Go to Quoted Post
Its a mute point because you can't get demoted in the government. As long as you receive a pay at GS6 before starting the new position you will revert back to GS5 but at the step which most closely matches the step at your GS6 pay. You will still earn the GS7 after a year.
Not true! Happens all the time. Both voluntarily and as an adverse action. In this case, the OP applyied to a GS5 target 9 ladder (in a 2 grade interval series). So, they can start the OP at GS5 Step 2 (as it is a lateral).

In this case, when the offer arrives, (or before the final offer), request the new agency use the highest pay for pay setting. If they go for it, it will put you around step 5 as a GS5 (which will be slightly more than the GS6 step 1 pay). If they don't, you may be set at GS5 step 2. Either way, in a year, GS7 step 1 will be more than either your GS5 or 6 pay and a year later, GS9 step 1.

If you are lucky, as yo have 52 weeks TIG, the new supervisor MAY promote you to GS7 in less than a year. That said, you are changing series, so the new Supv may want to observe you for the 52 weeks to ensure you are really ready for the next level.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
bpessel  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 10:43:16 AM(UTC)
bpessel

United States

So everybody pretty much agrees it will be GS5 step x? Not a GS7 step 1? As far as the new supervisor, I have worked with him already this year on a few projects, When he called to tell me they are going to offer me the job, he said he would fight for me on this. But he didn't know if it was possible. When is the earliest he COULD put in for a raise to 7? I have heard of this but don't know the exact amount of time.
bpessel  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 11:11:24 AM(UTC)
bpessel

United States

I just got an email from HR, I inquired about this with them, "As specified in the announcement, Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement. In order to be eligible for the GS-7, you would have had to met time in grade before the closing of the announcement." Bad new for me, but FYI for somebody searching for this answer.

So now the question is what step... The Tentative offer is 5 step 1. I have emailed confirmation that my current supervisor has raised me to a 6. But I still haven't seen my new SF-50. I am thinking the promotion wont happen until November 10th. That is the start of the next PP. Either way, I will have GS6 pay before I start the new job.

They have me on this one really, After 2 years at this new position(it is a management training position), I will be eligible for a management roll in my agency, which tops out at GS12. So staying in my current gig would be pretty dumb.

But sounds like I may be doing a lot more work for less pay.

I wish they would repost the announcement.
frankgonzalez  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 12:12:24 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 995 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bpessel Go to Quoted Post
I just got an email from HR, I inquired about this with them, "As specified in the announcement, Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement. In order to be eligible for the GS-7, you would have had to met time in grade before the closing of the announcement." Bad new for me, but FYI for somebody searching for this answer.

So now the question is what step... The Tentative offer is 5 step 1. I have emailed confirmation that my current supervisor has raised me to a 6. But I still haven't seen my new SF-50. I am thinking the promotion wont happen until November 10th. That is the start of the next PP. Either way, I will have GS6 pay before I start the new job.

They have me on this one really, After 2 years at this new position(it is a management training position), I will be eligible for a management roll in my agency, which tops out at GS12. So staying in my current gig would be pretty dumb.

But sounds like I may be doing a lot more work for less pay.

I wish they would repost the announcement.
You really don't want them to repost the announcement. If they did that, you may not be so lucky. May have someone better qualified, a must hire (PPP for example) or some other reason you don't get selected.

If the supervisor is willing to go to bat for you, have them to try and get you the GS5 step 5 (as you are a GS6 step 1), and ask them when you think you can be promoted to GS7 and what they need to see from you to do that.

They may be willing to do the paperwork right after you on-board in the new position or maybe at the 6 month mark. But remember, promotions are NOT guaranteed. So find out what you r boss will need form you to make certain it happens!

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
bpessel on 11/5/2019(UTC)
djp  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 6:46:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 133 post(s)
Accept the job..as a 6-1 thry can make you a 5-5 which is equivalent pay thrn Ayer later you go to 7-1 then a yr later you will be a 9-1

Since it’s st the same agency and likrly same HR office the new boss could talk to HR and see if hesslliwed to promote yiu to 7 right after transfer.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
bpessel on 11/8/2019(UTC)
bpessel  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 1:21:20 PM(UTC)
bpessel

United States

UPDATE with good news. as a few of you said earlier, My HR person told me not to sign TO as a GS5-1 as that was a mistake, They resent me a new TO of GS5-5 to match the GS6-1 in pay. It was just a timing issue because I was offered the job right after my anniversary date. AND... just as DJP & FrankG said.. My HR person & new supervisor are both onboard to an immediate raise to GS7 after I start the new position! Said It will probably take a pay period or 2. So that was good news for me.

Side note, I applied to and was referred to the exact same job (different location) as a GS7 that closed the day after my TIG date. It would have been an hour & half longer drive so I'm glad this worked out. So USA Jobs is serious about that TIG by closing date stuff.

I know it was hard to find answers to some of these questions so I hope this helps someone.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed