Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weedkill3  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 1:12:26 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hello

From Sept 2017 to December 2018 I worked an an appeals analyst with FEMA.

I did my background investigation and didn't pass the public trust because I left out information on my sf86 about my last Federal agency security clearance being cancelled.

I resigned from my last agency voluntarily in Feb 2017. My SF 50 shows action code 317. Resignation.

Then in FEMA, I was called into the office in December and said I had to turn in my laptop and badge. I could wait and rebutt the charges.

I was going out the country a week later for winter holidays so I chose to voluntarily resign.
My FEMA SF 50 shows action code 317.

For remarks, both sf 50's say " seeking opportunities outside federal govt".

Then, in October 2019, I see the same appeals analyst position on USA jobs.

I figure what the hell...I have 18 months experience.

I apply and am selected as best qualified.

I get a phone call for the interview which was scheduled today , Nov 8, at 3pm.

This morning I get a phone call from HR saying the certs have been cancelled?? And that interviews are cancelled. HR says job will be reposted on USA jobs.

Was it cancelled because of me? The gm saw, "oh, it's that public trust guy"....
djp  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 4:19:39 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 133 post(s)
The issue is why the clearance was cancelled?. Because you left or they were firing you but you resigned?

Aaplicants can be black balled or cancelled announcement because they already had someone in mind for the job.
weedkill3  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 5:32:33 PM(UTC)

For the agency I worked at before FEMA it was due to T and A, essentially me working at home instead of showing up in the office which was 100 mi away. So, they find out, the supervisor calls me and say they need to look into somethings without being specific. My computer is locked. Two days later, I decided to voluntarily resign. There no mentioning of being fired. My final SF 50 action code 317 simply shows resignation, not a 312 (adverse action). SO this was Feb 2017.

In Sept 2017, I join FEMA . On my Qip sf86, it asks if you ever had your clearance revoked...I simply say I voluntarily resigned from my previous agency.

In Feb 2018, I go thru the background interview. Here I tell BI what happened at the previous agency. He mentions I should have put that on the sf85/86.

Dec 2018, I get called in by my FEMA supervisor. He says I have no ideas whats going on but something is going on with your public trust. He hands me a one page boiler plate memo that says I need to turn my badge and laptop. The memo just says I'm not suitable for the public trust.

THe other HR lady says that I can wait and find out what the issue is ( I suspect its not being forthcoming on the sf86) and present a rebuttal. The problem is I already have a trip scheduled on Dec 18th out of the country for five weeks. SO I was afraid that I wouldn't be here to rebutt and this would end up as a "termination" on my Sf50 and an"adverse action" code.

SO in the interest of self-preservation, I voluntarily resign again. No one tells me I'm going to be fired, or to resign in lieu of being fired. This again is confirmed on my SF50. Again a 317 action code. Simple resignation.

SO this October, the same position is on USAJObs, I applied, received an email saying I'm Best Qualified and my interview was scheduled today at 3PM. This morning they called and said the certs were pulled and the job would be re-posted??

SO I was just wondering if I was the cause for this. "Oh it that guy with the public trust issue again..."
Exit7A  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 8, 2019 8:50:27 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weedkill3 Go to Quoted Post
For the agency I worked at before FEMA it was due to T and A, essentially me working at home instead of showing up in the office which was 100 mi away. So, they find out, the supervisor calls me and say they need to look into somethings without being specific. My computer is locked. Two days later, I decided to voluntarily resign. There no mentioning of being fired. My final SF 50 action code 317 simply shows resignation, not a 312 (adverse action). SO this was Feb 2017.

In Sept 2017, I join FEMA . On my Qip sf86, it asks if you ever had your clearance revoked...I simply say I voluntarily resigned from my previous agency.

In Feb 2018, I go thru the background interview. Here I tell BI what happened at the previous agency. He mentions I should have put that on the sf85/86.

Dec 2018, I get called in by my FEMA supervisor. He says I have no ideas whats going on but something is going on with your public trust. He hands me a one page boiler plate memo that says I need to turn my badge and laptop. The memo just says I'm not suitable for the public trust.

THe other HR lady says that I can wait and find out what the issue is ( I suspect its not being forthcoming on the sf86) and present a rebuttal. The problem is I already have a trip scheduled on Dec 18th out of the country for five weeks. SO I was afraid that I wouldn't be here to rebutt and this would end up as a "termination" on my Sf50 and an"adverse action" code.

SO in the interest of self-preservation, I voluntarily resign again. No one tells me I'm going to be fired, or to resign in lieu of being fired. This again is confirmed on my SF50. Again a 317 action code. Simple resignation.

SO this October, the same position is on USAJObs, I applied, received an email saying I'm Best Qualified and my interview was scheduled today at 3PM. This morning they called and said the certs were pulled and the job would be re-posted??

SO I was just wondering if I was the cause for this. "Oh it that guy with the public trust issue again..."

The problem is you assume too much. You need to find out what adverse issue is in your record. It could be something else.

There are plenty of instances of job postings being pulled (just browse through this forum). There are lots of different reasons for HR (or Agency) pulling the job back. Could be that they left out some verbiage in the posting...could be that the position is transferred to another hiring manager...or it could be they don't like you. What ever the reason, don't lose sleep over it. It's the Agency's prerogative to post jobs or pull them back.
That's all I got to say about that.
mallen  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2019 12:49:20 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello

From Sept 2017 to December 2018 I worked an an appeals analyst with FEMA.

I did my background investigation and didn't pass the public trust because I left out information on my sf86 about my last Federal agency security clearance being cancelled.

I resigned from my last agency voluntarily in Feb 2017. My SF 50 shows action code 317. Resignation.

Then in FEMA, I was called into the office in December and said I had to turn in my laptop and badge. I could wait and rebutt the charges.

I was going out the country a week later for winter holidays so I chose to voluntarily resign.
My FEMA SF 50 shows action code 317.

For remarks, both sf 50's say " seeking opportunities outside federal govt".

Then, in October 2019, I see the same appeals analyst position on USA jobs.

I figure what the hell...I have 18 months experience.

I apply and am selected as best qualified.

I get a phone call for the interview which was scheduled today , Nov 8, at 3pm.

This morning I get a phone call from HR saying the certs have been cancelled?? And that interviews are cancelled. HR says job will be reposted on USA jobs.

Was it cancelled because of me? The gm saw, "oh, it's that public trust guy"....

You seem rather unrepentant
You screwed up and quit before you were fired. Then you screwed up again and lied about it on the sf86. So you quit again before you were fired. Your two for two. I may be wrong, but you now seem to be talking about how your record.doesnt show what really happened so maybe you can hide it again. It sounds like your heading for a third strike.

The funny thing is, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, you don't get denied based on answers on the form. You get denied based on an adjudication of the investigation. Its not like they are counting up the answers and if you go over 5 points your out.

So say you have a midemenor dui. And you list that (obviously you can't hide it, it comes up in a criminal check) You also say that you paid a fine and attended mandatory aa meetings.and counseling Then in another spot, it asks about treatment for alcoholism. You answer that you went to aa and got counseling. Then it asks if you've been fired from a job. You explain that you were hired for a job, and they wanted you to drive a delivery van on occasion, but, had never discussed that during the interviews, never asked about the dui or misdemnors or alcohol issues, but fired you on your first day when it came up in a background check. OMG that's three things against you right there, right? Well,no its one thing, the DUI. The rest is just fallout from that one thing.
No one is counting wrong answers. They are trying to determine whether your a recalcetrant alchoholic who's still blaming everyone but your self for the mess you made of your life, or whether you had a hard cold dose of reality,picked yourself up,learned from your mistake and took steps to fix the problem.

Did The cancel.the cert because of your background? I doubt it.
weedkill3  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2019 1:12:37 AM(UTC)

I wasn't fired officially you dummy. If I was, my sf 50 would've had an adverse action code.
weedkill3  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2019 1:19:10 AM(UTC)

I did have a good interview with a other agency two weeks ago...I will have a security clearance lawyer do my sf86. They will get the file and hopefully help.
Endless Summer  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2019 5:11:59 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 171 post(s)
If they were at the stage where they were getting ready to interview, then it's not about you. They could just have interviewed you and selected someone else if they wanted to avoid hiring you.

As for future jobs, if they check your fed references they will most likely be told that you are not eligible for re-hire with that agency. That pretty much tells them everything they need to know without violating any guidelines.

Also, what kind of a final Performance Review did you get at these places? I can't imagine it was good, and that can be disclosed to a prospective employer. I have routinely been asked to provide my last performance review when being considered for a new fed position.
djp  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2019 11:33:49 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 133 post(s)

This can be a serious violation if you worked from ho e without approval or knowledge depending on the security level of your work.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed