Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gailbuf  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2019 7:51:55 PM(UTC)
gailbuf

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I started about 2 years ago as a GS-12, series 2210 (IT). I'm considering applying ford for the Black Belt training program. Is this something that can help my career, or should I just realize that my career is almost done and not apply for it.

Edited by user Monday, November 11, 2019 7:52:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Exit7A  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2019 8:35:09 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gailbuf Go to Quoted Post
I started about 2 years ago as a GS-12, series 2210 (IT). I'm considering applying ford for the Black Belt training program. Is this something that can help my career, or should I just realize that my career is almost done and not apply for it.

Your career is what you make of it. Black Belt is process improvement (Six Sigma) stuff. If that is what excites you, then go for it.
That's all I got to say about that.
DODtoDOCtoDOD  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:42:54 AM(UTC)
DODtoDOCtoDOD

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
You're within 5 years of retiring? IDK what kind of avenues LSS will open for you, it doesn't seem to be as hot of a topic in the DOD as it used to be. PMP or other PM centered certifications are more the buzz in the IT world right now. But whatever you can do to try and get a promotion and pump up those high 3s numbers is going to pay big dividends in the long run. Outside of getting a promotion, you could look to laterally transfer to an area with a higher locality adjustment.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:43:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

djp  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:01:35 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 133 post(s)
PMP is the same as a black belt certificate is the same as a scrum master

Anybody who says otherwise is clueless. PMP is the sexy new term/ shinny new toy thing

They are following the same concepts. They are used in different fields. Scrum is more in the IT area, black belt is more in engineering and applied math areas.

In the feds the only advantage to them would be to get jobs tied to these skills like project management jobs or positions in the title are process improvement or black belts

What I’ve sern in the govt in my career...black belts are handed out lime candy. Projects prop,e did to get these are not black belt projects. Black belt projects are ill defined jobs that are unusual and atypical...not something you can do following research papers done or reading a text book in solving these king of problems.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:04:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DODtoDOCtoDOD  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:19:04 AM(UTC)
DODtoDOCtoDOD

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I don't agree with the idea that they are the same at all - outside of the fact that they are a borderline meaningless certification IMO. I know people who have gotten high grade positions almost off of PMP certification alone. My uncle is a high-level executive in the private sector, and almost exclusively hires LSS black belts. The attitude towards those certifications will vary a lot from organization to organization. I've got my LSS black belt and am PMP certified - both have done 0 for my career (which has been pretty freakin good in my opinion (got my 14 at age 29)). I only got the certifications because my organization at the time would cover the costs of the courses and exams (you can throw my masters degree in the same pot), not to try to advance my career. That said, it could help the OP get a higher grade position - keyword being could.

BTW, most projects you deal with in the government (especially in the tech field with this era of modernization and streamlined acquisition) is unusual and atypical.
gailbuf  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2019 7:50:34 AM(UTC)
gailbuf

United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Thank you everyone. Sorry I haven't been here for a while. I decided not to go for this. I'm happy as a developer in an Agile environment. Not interested in project management.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed