Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Registers on the forum or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
postalvet  
#41 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:49:25 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2905 time(s) in 2297 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Postal guy Go to Quoted Post
So we checked her Virtual Timecard & her PM did input her for LWOP Family Medical Leave. Is there any way we can get this reversed before the pay period ends this Friday? I've seen a lot of conflicting information here in regards to this. Is this a labor relations issue? An HR issue? Should we call our district labor or HR, or call HRSSC?

Its Christmas time, and it isn't like we absolutely need this paycheck, but of all times of the year for her to be missing money, even if we get it back after a grievance.. I'd just like to have it fixed before the pay period ends.

Any advice?

call the union!!!

they are there and are there only ones who can act asap.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Postal guy  
#42 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 12:45:04 PM(UTC)
Postal guy

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So the union says they will file article 14 & article 19, but nothing in regards to her pay situation.

Department of labor, WHD says to wait until the paycheck is finalize & if it's not corrected to call them back to file a complaint.

I had her call her PM to try to correct it before we escalate the situation and she said that my wife never gave her medical documentation. My wife said you haven't asked for any, but you have my approved FMLA case number. PM says that her leave was denied even though her FMLA was approved. She claimed labor relations backed her up on that. When asked for a number to contact labor, she froze up & wouldn't give any contact info.
roger.d  
#43 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 12:57:26 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 780 time(s) in 608 post(s)
So the union says they will file article 14 & article 19, but nothing in regards to her pay situation.

Department of labor, WHD says to wait until the paycheck is finalize & if it's not corrected to call them back to file a complaint.

I had her call her PM to try to correct it before we escalate the situation and she said that my wife never gave her medical documentation. My wife said you haven't asked for any, but you have my approved FMLA case number. PM says that her leave was denied even though her FMLA was approved. She claimed labor relations backed her up on that. When asked for a number to contact labor, she froze up & wouldn't give any contact info.

DO NOT GIVE MEDIAL INFORMATION TO HER supervisor/PM. They have no need for it. They are not medical personal. They would be luck to be able to understand the direction of an bottle of aspirin.

All information should be sent to the District medical office or the FMLA office at Shared Services.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
Hannah Blecter  
#44 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:24:54 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Was thanked: 1248 time(s) in 855 post(s)
One thought is that sending a note to District Medical Unit asking them what they need (I would include the FMLA approval) would be a good thing to have in your back pocket if this escalates. This shows you went above and beyond--you were proactive despite local mgmt not cooperating. I would also send a note to District Labor that you contacted the Medical Unit to see if anything more was required to document the medical necessity. I would note in the beginning of each letter that I was not on restricted sick leave and that I objected to the mistreatment I was getting. I would state that I felt making a big, expensive deal out of a surgery could not be in the best interests of the service, as indicated by all the time everyone was wasting on it now, which will be followed by congressionals, union activity, and reports to the DOL, OIG, etc.

If local managers want medical, maybe tell them you are not a doctor but maybe they could think more clearly and make better decisions if their cranium was not stuck in the middle of their gluteus maximus muscles.
postalvet  
#45 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:37:55 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2905 time(s) in 2297 post(s)

there you go, you have proof the manager is lying.

get back with the union and ask why no grievance for the pay.

you do not need to give local management any medical docs as you have a fmla number and that is all local management needs.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
roger.d  
#46 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:53:07 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 780 time(s) in 608 post(s)
Your NBA can provide you with the district medical office number. Just bypass the PM. Ask the medical office to email your pm and CC you in the correspondence.

Maybe set up a new Gmail account for this purpose. 2019USPS.FMLA.BS@gmail.com. It may already be taken. OR (your zip code).PMisadumbass@gmail.com.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
thanks 2 users thanked roger.d for this useful post.
RodOrRob on 12/5/2019(UTC), Hannah Blecter on 12/5/2019(UTC)
Hannah Blecter  
#47 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 4:19:48 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Was thanked: 1248 time(s) in 855 post(s)
In case anyone does not know this. The only role the locals play in FMLA is to input your request for FMLA into the computer. Once HRSSC approves FMLA, you supply that number on your 3971 if you use leave for that condition again. Then mgmt selects the number, which will be in the system. If you have a new condition, you can request fmla for a new condition and they click on that and HRSSC sends you paperwork.

HRSSC may choose to ask you for updating FMLA paperwork. There are no fast rules, but once a year would not be unreasonable.

If your manager sees you running a marathon while on FMLA leave, they might suspect that running a marathon might be contraindicated and they could report their concerns to their bosses or HRSSC or whatever. Other than reported suspected fraud or abuse (like with any other person using leave and arousing suspicions), the locals really have nothing to do but pushing buttons--just be sure they are pushing computer buttons--don't let them push your buttons.

Remember, in almost every interaction with management questions are your friend--as long as you are asking the questions. If management asks questions other than the basic facts they are entitled to know, answer their questions with your questions. You will soon see how stupid and afraid managers are when they meet someone they cannot intimidate.

Good questions for managers regarding leave and FMLA would be ones asking if they had any training in these matters and what documents/manuals support their statements. Put the burden on them. Ask how their actions are matching up with their actions.

If you haven't noticed, managers are always making statements and claims acting like they know something or they are right. Often they are just making up stuff up or, worse, lying. Don't believe them. Go ahead and do the same to them. "Management Instruction M-00876 says........ Have you read that?" etc. Of course, it is best if you quote something you really do know. It doesn't take much research on a subject to be more learned on the subject than many postal managers. And, remember, your boss' boss was likely just as dumb as your manager when they were promoted and they are not any smarter now. Never think because one manager refers you to another one that the other manager must be 1) educated or 2) telling you the truth. One is unlikely and the other is extremely unlikely.
Malcolm1  
#48 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2019 2:20:48 AM(UTC)
Malcolm1

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Below is a link to a Postal Law Department publication that covers employee rights to and under FLMA. Page A-1 discusses the right to use paid leave during absence. Page A-2 states the management cannot discourage the use of FMLA, in accordance with DOL Fact Sheet 77B.

https://apwu.org/sites/a...%20for%20Supervisors.pdf

DOL Fact Sheet 77B:

https://www.dol.gov/whd/.../compliance/whdfs77b.pdf

M1
Rss Feed  Atom Feed