Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Deuce249287  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:56:57 PM(UTC)
Deuce249287

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/5/2017(UTC)
Posts: 6
United States

My office is short staffed this moment. Its a small office only 5 routes. I am a regular carrier who is always done with my route before 5:30 but the other carriers not so much. Supervisor always sends me back out to help another carrier. I have a hard time seeing after dark and already told the supervisor i dont feel safe doing someone elses route after dark.
Is a regular carrier obligated to get sent back out. We only have one CCA and thats mainly the person we have to go help bc they cant do a full route.
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:08:45 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 17,014
Location: southern calif

Thanks: 1645 times
Was thanked: 2923 time(s) in 2315 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Deuce249287 Go to Quoted Post
My office is short staffed this moment. Its a small office only 5 routes. I am a regular carrier who is always done with my route before 5:30 but the other carriers not so much. Supervisor always sends me back out to help another carrier. I have a hard time seeing after dark and already told the supervisor i dont feel safe doing someone elses route after dark.
Is a regular carrier obligated to get sent back out. We only have one CCA and thats mainly the person we have to go help bc they cant do a full route.


if your safety is important to you get an fmla case for after dark work.

what ot list if any are you on?
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
poorfamily  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:13:08 PM(UTC)
poorfamily

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/30/2015(UTC)
Posts: 327

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Arbitrators through the years have ruled that darkness by itself is not a safety issue. It is what you can't see in the dark, the trip and fall hazards in yards and on stairs, the dogs hiding in the shadows, even the risk of patrons mistaking you for a burglar. Any number of safety issues that arise after dark. What this means is that you first have to go out and attempt delivering in the dark. If you feel it is unsafe then you come back and fill out a safety hazard form. It certainly takes guts to do that if you are not used to standing up to management. But that is the procedure for handling delivering in the dark.

If you don't want to go that route you should remember that it would definitely take much longer to deliver in the dark. Maybe you have to walk to a light source to read the address for the next house, over and over. A 15-minute relay could become a 30 or 45 minute relay. Do that a few times and see what management does. You might be out an extra hour or two to do a 30 minutes.

And don't feel bad about the Staffing of your office. Management has total control of all Staffing. They can hire people or borrow help to get your office delivered timely. It's not up to you as carriers to make their poor staffing and scheduling decisions work.
thanks 1 user thanked poorfamily for this useful post.
LastLaconiaTE on 11/15/2019(UTC)
Seadogg  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:42:22 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/31/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,648

Thanks: 41 times
Was thanked: 572 time(s) in 385 post(s)
1. If this is an everyday occurrence, mgmt should really be assigning the work differently in the morning. "Going back out" is for unexpected situations. If they start giving you extra mail in the morning, it may help your safety situation, since you will be able to do your extra in the daylight and carry your own route in the dark.
2. If you are not on the ODL and another carrier is, they should be working 12 hours before you are forced to work off your route.
3. Unless you have some actual reason to doubt that your colleagues are doing their best and giving an honest day's work, don't hold the fact that they are taking longer against them. The fact that you complete your route in time is irrelevant. It is mgmt's job to assign the right amount of work for each employee, mgmt's job to discipline if carriers are doing something wrong, and mgmt's job to staff properly.
thanks 1 user thanked Seadogg for this useful post.
John Henry on 11/14/2019(UTC)
roger.d  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:44:04 PM(UTC)
roger.d

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2016(UTC)
Posts: 3,433
United States
Location: Midwest

Thanks: 148 times
Was thanked: 806 time(s) in 632 post(s)
Originally Posted by: poorfamily Go to Quoted Post
Arbitrators through the years have ruled that darkness by itself is not a safety issue. It is what you can't see in the dark, the trip and fall hazards in yards and on stairs, the dogs hiding in the shadows, even the risk of patrons mistaking you for a burglar. Any number of safety issues that arise after dark. What this means is that you first have to go out and attempt delivering in the dark. If you feel it is unsafe then you come back and fill out a safety hazard form. It certainly takes guts to do that if you are not used to standing up to management. But that is the procedure for handling delivering in the dark.

If you don't want to go that route you should remember that it would definitely take much longer to deliver in the dark. Maybe you have to walk to a light source to read the address for the next house, over and over. A 15-minute relay could become a 30 or 45 minute relay. Do that a few times and see what management does. You might be out an extra hour or two to do a 30 minutes.

And don't feel bad about the Staffing of your office. Management has total control of all Staffing. They can hire people or borrow help to get your office delivered timely. It's not up to you as carriers to make their poor staffing and scheduling decisions work.


Never cross a yard in the dark. (or in daylight for that matter).

Never finger mail if you are crossing yards.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
John Henry  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:23:14 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,711

Thanks: 299 times
Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 118 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Deuce249287 Go to Quoted Post
My office is short staffed this moment. Its a small office only 5 routes. I am a regular carrier who is always done with my route before 5:30 but the other carriers not so much. Supervisor always sends me back out to help another carrier. I have a hard time seeing after dark and already told the supervisor i dont feel safe doing someone elses route after dark.
Is a regular carrier obligated to get sent back out. We only have one CCA and thats mainly the person we have to go help bc they cant do a full route.


So if I read this correctly in order to get mainly the CCA back and let the supervisor go home you are being mandated overtime to go help him?
Deuce249287  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2019 4:31:38 AM(UTC)
Deuce249287

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/5/2017(UTC)
Posts: 6
United States

Correct
John Henry  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2019 5:11:26 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,711

Thanks: 299 times
Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 118 post(s)
So your justification for your grievance would not be about working in the dark but rather being mandated to work overtime.
Yukoncarrier24  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2019 9:56:03 AM(UTC)
Yukoncarrier24

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/10/2018(UTC)
Posts: 255
Location: south dakota

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Do the swing/handoff from the unfamiliar route during the daylight.
canyoneer  
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2019 11:52:37 AM(UTC)
canyoneer

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/1/2014(UTC)
Posts: 61
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Yukoncarrier24 Go to Quoted Post
Do the swing/handoff from the unfamiliar route during the daylight.


It sounds to me like they are sending him out without the swing. Then consistently sending him back out to help after he returns to the office from his own route. Management should really plan ahead in regards to this.
mmmNUTELLA  
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:49:42 PM(UTC)
mmmNUTELLA

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/7/2019(UTC)
Posts: 17
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You should go to your doctor to get a note saying you cannot work at night due to nyctalopia aka night blindness. It is usually impairment of specific vision cells in your retina such as rods. It is also common for those who did lasik at some point in their life.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.