Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Endless Summer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2019 8:51:15 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 171 post(s)
OK, I know I can just wait to get the FO and find out then, but that may be a while off and I'm trying to do some financial planning.

I was a GS-12 step 3 in DC.
Took a position as a GS-11 step 1 in Rest of US (voluntary).
Now being offered a GS-12 position OCONUS.

My new command has asked me to provide an SF-50 showing my maximum pay scale while I was a GS-12 in DC. I did that.

I realize that any pay retention offer is not mandatory in my circumstances, but it sounds like they are going to make the offer. What might I expect? I've dug through the OPM site and that just make my head hurt.

Any info would be appreciated.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2019 5:49:14 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 995 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post
OK, I know I can just wait to get the FO and find out then, but that may be a while off and I'm trying to do some financial planning.

I was a GS-12 step 3 in DC.
Took a position as a GS-11 step 1 in Rest of US (voluntary).
Now being offered a GS-12 position OCONUS.

My new command has asked me to provide an SF-50 showing my maximum pay scale while I was a GS-12 in DC. I did that.

I realize that any pay retention offer is not mandatory in my circumstances, but it sounds like they are going to make the offer. What might I expect? I've dug through the OPM site and that just make my head hurt.

Any info would be appreciated.
If they match your previous GS 12 position, you will be GS12 step 3 on the basic pay scale (if OCONUS and not Hawaii/Alaska). So from 2019 Base Pay table that would be $68790, plus LQA, etc for being overseas.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
teeeeej  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:15:38 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
If you were a 12 3, why did you go to 11 1? Don't they have to put you at the step in Grade 11 that's closest to 12 3?
Endless Summer  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 12:51:43 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 171 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
If you were a 12 3, why did you go to 11 1? Don't they have to put you at the step in Grade 11 that's closest to 12 3?

I accepted a 11-1 to get out of DC and get back to my home state, where I had a house. The difference in pay was about a $26k cut on paper, but my actual expendable income rose by over $20k per year with the move.

They aren't required to offer pay matching, and they claimed that the funds were not available. It still made sense financially nd lifestyle-wise for me to take the job. DC was fun for 2 years, but as a 12-3 I was living paycheck to paycheck.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed