Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
2mkb1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:53:12 AM(UTC)
2mkb1

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I am in a manual office and have had several packages loop back to the senders in the last 6 months.

The latest package never left the local plant and spent 2 weeks in the plant with several Loop Mail Exceptions.
The zip code was correct, the destination on tracking was correct. The destination address was clearly evident with a quick glance at the package.

I am thinking that the machine must be picking up the return address rather than the destination address.
On the latest one, the customer had made an address label out of a half sheet of printer paper.
The box was approximately 9x12 and the label was placed on the lower half of the package which did make the return address central to the box, however the return address was in small type and the destination was in very large type.

At the manual office, the destination address is not entered into a computer, but I accept the package on the scanner and enter the destination zip code.

On a prior package that was returned after looping similarly, the customer had made an address label on a piece of paper which had both a handwritten address and the customers address sticker above it with the words To and From written on the paper. So again, the machine must have picked up the more central address. All 3 of the returned boxed were about the same size, around 9X12x4.

But then, when a customer uses the USPS provided priority mail sticker, they usually place it in the center of the box and the from address is often the same size as the destination address and it is also more central to the box and those don't loop back.

I realize that 3 exceptions is not a lot, but I only send out about 5 packages a day and this has now happened to 3 of my PO Box customers and I only have 65 PO Boxes.

How can I make sure that packages don't continue to loop back?
I make sure the zip code is clear and scanned correctly.
Do the words "To" and "From" help if it is a machine causing these boxes to not even leave the local plant?
I assume the placement of the tracking label would have nothing to do with it.
Is it necessary to have customers move their return address to the top left corner?
If using a USPS provided priority mail label, should I have them place that on the box so that the destination address is in the center rather than the lower portion of the box?

GordonG  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:33:09 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 1156 time(s) in 738 post(s)
The words "from" and "to" are useless.

In my experience it's the placement of that information is what makes the difference. Separate the info is my suggestion.

And if there's any other writing cluttering up the area I cover that so that the destination address is prominent.
"Fear, not clemency, restrains the wicked."

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
2mkb1 on 11/19/2019(UTC)
Hannah Blecter  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:34:47 AM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Was thanked: 1295 time(s) in 890 post(s)
Ideas. Circle addressee info. Additionally write the destination zip code in huge font with black marker. Use a pen to make x marks over return address if you think it might get picked up in error by someone/something. The return address only needs to be readable for return. Anytime I hand write my return address I make it so a human who wants/needs to read it can, but a machine probably would not.

If a parcel comes back, put a sticky note over the return address and remove any stickers or obliterate any markings that would send it to the wrong place.
thanks 1 user thanked Hannah Blector for this useful post.
2mkb1 on 11/19/2019(UTC)
postalvet  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:10:11 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2923 time(s) in 2315 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 2mkb1 Go to Quoted Post
I am in a manual office and have had several packages loop back to the senders in the last 6 months.

The latest package never left the local plant and spent 2 weeks in the plant with several Loop Mail Exceptions.
The zip code was correct, the destination on tracking was correct. The destination address was clearly evident with a quick glance at the package.

I am thinking that the machine must be picking up the return address rather than the destination address.
On the latest one, the customer had made an address label out of a half sheet of printer paper.
The box was approximately 9x12 and the label was placed on the lower half of the package which did make the return address central to the box, however the return address was in small type and the destination was in very large type.

At the manual office, the destination address is not entered into a computer, but I accept the package on the scanner and enter the destination zip code.

On a prior package that was returned after looping similarly, the customer had made an address label on a piece of paper which had both a handwritten address and the customers address sticker above it with the words To and From written on the paper. So again, the machine must have picked up the more central address. All 3 of the returned boxed were about the same size, around 9X12x4.

But then, when a customer uses the USPS provided priority mail sticker, they usually place it in the center of the box and the from address is often the same size as the destination address and it is also more central to the box and those don't loop back.

I realize that 3 exceptions is not a lot, but I only send out about 5 packages a day and this has now happened to 3 of my PO Box customers and I only have 65 PO Boxes.

How can I make sure that packages don't continue to loop back?
I make sure the zip code is clear and scanned correctly.
Do the words "To" and "From" help if it is a machine causing these boxes to not even leave the local plant?
I assume the placement of the tracking label would have nothing to do with it.
Is it necessary to have customers move their return address to the top left corner?
If using a USPS provided priority mail label, should I have them place that on the box so that the destination address is in the center rather than the lower portion of the box?

answer right here;
"But then, when a customer uses the USPS provided priority mail sticker, they usually place it in the center of the box and the from address is often the same size as the destination address and it is also more central to the box and those don't loop back."

you answered your own issue.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Rss Feed  Atom Feed