Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GrifterTMP2  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:37:39 AM(UTC)
GrifterTMP2

Groups: Registered
United States

So I am a GS-11 who works for a small agency roughly 60 people are in my job nation wide, 40 in my office. Recently a GS-12 team lead retired. Yesterday, we found out that the vacant GS-12position was being filled by a team lead across the country who holds the same GS-12 position and they will be moving across the country to take that position. and the only position that will be posted will be the position on the other coast. Is this ethical? And is there any recourse that can be taken? Or should I "just be happy that I have a job" as I have been told before?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:50:34 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 995 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GrifterTMP2 Go to Quoted Post
So I am a GS-11 who works for a small agency roughly 60 people are in my job nation wide, 40 in my office. Recently a GS-12 team lead retired. Yesterday, we found out that the vacant GS-12position was being filled by a team lead across the country who holds the same GS-12 position and they will be moving across the country to take that position. and the only position that will be posted will be the position on the other coast. Is this ethical? And is there any recourse that can be taken? Or should I "just be happy that I have a job" as I have been told before?
Without knowing more, there are many reasons this can occur. It is allowed (internal transfer). It could be a hardship transfer, a reasonable accommodation, etc. They could simply want that person and are willing to transfer them to the position (if the person coming is paying for the move vs the agency, this us even better for the agency! They know the job, etc and won't need training). The other coast supervisor may be happy to lose this person (personality conflicts, etc) and may be in a better position to hire and train a new person.

Recourse: Apply for the other GS12 position.

They are still advertising a GS12 position, but if you apply, you better be willing to transfer to the other coast.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
GrifterTMP2 on 11/19/2019(UTC)
GrifterTMP2  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 11:02:13 AM(UTC)
GrifterTMP2

United States

Unfortunately, my wife and I would have to uproot our entire family and leave our entire support system, if I did get the GS12. We really aren't looking to do that because she just started her dream job and moving across the country with no support system in place really isn't in the plans. If it was just me, I would probably would move but I have to think about more then just myself.

This just has the smell and taste of a back room deal that was made.
FS0201  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:01:43 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 278 time(s) in 242 post(s)
It doesn’t sound shady based on what you have written.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:45:45 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 995 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GrifterTMP2 Go to Quoted Post
This just has the smell and taste of a back room deal that was made.
This seems funny considering your screen name is "Grifter".

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
djp  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:23:48 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 133 post(s)
No it’s not

If this person is 30% disabled vet or schedule A he is eligible for appt without posting the job.

If this persons dpouse AD in the military bring moved to there then it’s allowed as a non compete, non announced.

There maybe be other motivations in moving thrm to this job such as looking for him to advance up the chain in the future.

If there was a fundamental difference in these 2 jobs thry coukd be doing position transfers.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed