Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Aazz  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 3:31:38 AM(UTC)
Aazz

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone, so I’m currently a PSE in a small office, and I’m scheduled to work 10 consecutive days in a roll.... here PSEs work 6 days a weeks, so I usually rotate sundays with the other PSE, so we get 1 weekend day off every week. But since we are enclosed on Thanksgiving, which is all the way until next Thursday, and one regular wanted this Saturday off, so I have to come in this Saturday, which is the day I’m supposed to be off this week, to cover for that regular, and work all the way until thanksgiving. I’m off last Sunday, so from this Monday to next Thursday, I’m gonna be working everyday. I’m just wondering, I know the post office can do anything they want, but is this technically legal? They keep getting on me for not taking lunches because of the labor, but then have me working 10 consecutive days?
They could have another regular come in and cover for him just like they did last time, but somehow just wants me to come in.
I guess I’ll be making 7 days of money though, for the first week of next paycheck since PSEs get 6 hours of holiday leave here.
Just wondering if any other PSEs has gone through the same experience. And this isn’t even a busy plant, it’s a small office. They didn’t even have to do this.

Edited by user Thursday, November 21, 2019 3:32:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

psenomore  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:22:23 AM(UTC)
psenomore

Man
United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Yes, they can do that. The requirement is 1 day off a week, and you are getting that. It just so happens the day is the first day of the first week and the second to last day of the second. Just be glad you get that, when I was a pse I worked 28 days straight and didn't get holiday pay or penalty overtime.
thanks 1 user thanked psenomore for this useful post.
Aazz on 11/21/2019(UTC)
postalvet  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:41:20 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2923 time(s) in 2315 post(s)
there is no requirement for any days off for temporary help in the post office.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
thanks 1 user thanked postalvet for this useful post.
Aazz on 11/21/2019(UTC)
MPE2009  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:55:53 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 514 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Aazz Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone, so I’m currently a PSE in a small office, and I’m scheduled to work 10 consecutive days in a roll....

Hot buttered roll? Cinnamon?

Quote:
here PSEs work 6 days a weeks, so I usually rotate sundays with the other PSE, so we get 1 weekend day off every week. But since we are enclosed on Thanksgiving, which is all the way until next Thursday, and one regular wanted this Saturday off, so I have to come in this Saturday, which is the day I’m supposed to be off this week, to cover for that regular, and work all the way until thanksgiving. I’m off last Sunday, so from this Monday to next Thursday, I’m gonna be working everyday. I’m just wondering, I know the post office can do anything they want, but is this technically legal? They keep getting on me for not taking lunches because of the labor, but then have me working 10 consecutive days?
They could have another regular come in and cover for him just like they did last time, but somehow just wants me to come in.
I guess I’ll be making 7 days of money though, for the first week of next paycheck since PSEs get 6 hours of holiday leave here.
Just wondering if any other PSEs has gone through the same experience. And this isn’t even a busy plant, it’s a small office. They didn’t even have to do this.

Hate to say it, but you're a PSE. That's really not bad compared to way many of us were treated as PTF's. Honestly 10 days in a row is not a big deal and there's no rule against it, unless your local management has dictates from their upper management. Contractually and by law, there is no violation. Whereas the ELM and contract dictate they must allow you a lunch and therefore most times upper mgt insists on lunches.
thanks 1 user thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
Aazz on 11/21/2019(UTC)
Aazz  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:14:13 AM(UTC)
Aazz

Thanks everyone for the reply! I was just curious if this was legal, but you’re right, I forgot that I do have a day off it’s just further this time. And I do understand how bad PTFs were back in the day, I had a coworker working as a PTF back in the 90s and it was 50 hours every week. I actually wouldn’t mind that, who doesn’t like a big paycheck though lol. And sorry about that typo, please ignore it...

Edited by user Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:15:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

z165012  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:07:07 PM(UTC)
z165012

United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 29 post(s)
PSE is a very grey area, even for the union...

if you are a government employee, you get sunday premium pay...PSEs don't qualify for this
if you are an employee, many states have a 1 day of rest in 7, but that doesn't apply to government workers...

so the state considers you a federal employee, and the feds don't consider you an employee...

when I started I worked 22 in a row, got a day off, worked like 19, got a day off, then worked 27 in a row...I think I did my initial 90 in 95 days...

as for working many days in a row, 11/11/17-12/24/17 was my longest stretch as a PTF

what sucked most about a PSE for me is the split shifts, when I worked 27 days in a row I had 1 hour of overtime...

this year as a FTR, I have 283 hours of OT and have 8 more tomorrow...
RodOrRob  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:59:55 PM(UTC)
RodOrRob

Was thanked: 1118 time(s) in 812 post(s)
Both PSE and CCA can be worked 360 days in a row. They then must have a 5 day break in service between appointments.

There is no "law" that says otherwise that would apply to the USPS.

Districts may have their own rule regarding days worked in a row, but that is only a policy that could change at any time.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed