Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bamboo_Pillows  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:46:29 PM(UTC)
Bamboo_Pillows

Groups: Registered
United States

I feel as though I can't be the only person to ever find myself in this position (well, not exactly), but I haven't been able to find much of an answer on the savviest way to proceed. I was a federal employee for about ten years, before leaving public service for familial reasons. While I don't regret it for a second, the past couple of years have been H E double hockey sticks for me financially speaking. It was next to impossible to find work and I fell so far behind that I began to consider bankruptcy. One of those debts was a federal overpayment (since there's no way to opt out of health insurance payments when you first take LWOP). Fast forward 2.5 years and I've been offered an amazing opportunity in the DC area. It's a promotion so the salary coupled with the locality pay would allow me to restructure and fulfill my financial obligations. But what is the best way to address that on an OF-306? I feel as though saying "Yeahhhh I totally know I'm delinquent, BUT if you onboard me you'll get your money anyways and I swear I intended to pay it back anyway" isn't going to cut the mustard. Sigh.
TheUnderverse15  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 9:43:22 PM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bamboo_Pillows Go to Quoted Post
I feel as though I can't be the only person to ever find myself in this position (well, not exactly), but I haven't been able to find much of an answer on the savviest way to proceed. I was a federal employee for about ten years, before leaving public service for familial reasons. While I don't regret it for a second, the past couple of years have been H E double hockey sticks for me financially speaking. It was next to impossible to find work and I fell so far behind that I began to consider bankruptcy. One of those debts was a federal overpayment (since there's no way to opt out of health insurance payments when you first take LWOP). Fast forward 2.5 years and I've been offered an amazing opportunity in the DC area. It's a promotion so the salary coupled with the locality pay would allow me to restructure and fulfill my financial obligations. But what is the best way to address that on an OF-306? I feel as though saying "Yeahhhh I totally know I'm delinquent, BUT if you onboard me you'll get your money anyways and I swear I intended to pay it back anyway" isn't going to cut the mustard. Sigh.

That's your only way to mitigate this is to say you are gonna work on paying back. Usually what most adjudicators like to hear. Even if you said would and don't though, caf or adjudication agency will get ya and revoke.
Bamboo_Pillows  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 9:18:28 PM(UTC)
Bamboo_Pillows

United States

Oof. I know they probably hear it all the time, but that IS what I'm going to do. This job pays over 15X what I'm making now. That's how hard it is to find work around here. Like most people I don't like owing anybody anything so I'd just as rather be done with it as soon as possible. I'm just grateful that I was able to land an offer after separating last year. The last thing I need is to have something like that come back and bite me in the you-know-what
TheUnderverse15  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 2:11:16 PM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bamboo_Pillows Go to Quoted Post
Oof. I know they probably hear it all the time, but that IS what I'm going to do. This job pays over 15X what I'm making now. That's how hard it is to find work around here. Like most people I don't like owing anybody anything so I'd just as rather be done with it as soon as possible. I'm just grateful that I was able to land an offer after separating last year. The last thing I need is to have something like that come back and bite me in the you-know-what

Definitely gotta let me them you are working to pay it back. Good not to hide it, had some many people try to hide it only for CAF to come back and ask for statement on why you hid it and how you will pay it back.
mallen  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 8:26:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
My best guess is to work out a payment arrangement,cabd start making payments. Who do you owe the money too? If it's the it's, payment arrangements are easy.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed