Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bobbob1  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 6:26:08 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I volunteered to work thanksgiving this year because I want my holiday pay to be turned to annual leave. Management said at least 4 hours. I'm fine with working up to 8, but if I only do 4 will I still be able to convert my holiday pay? My local just says I have to work the holiday, but doesn't specify how long.
Hannah Blecter  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 6:31:57 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Was thanked: 1248 time(s) in 855 post(s)
You are guaranteed 8 if you are a regular, I believe even on a holiday. They cannot refuse to pay you 8 if so. However, if you sign something saying you agree to only work 4, I would question that there is a mechanism in TACS to give you only 4 hours annual.

Just my thoughts. Not an expert. You could ask if this has happened before or maybe a TACS person will reply here.
bobbob1  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 6:42:07 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

Yeah I'm guaranteed 8, but they said if I wanted to go after 4 I could. I asked them this question and they weren't sure. I don't wanna screw myself out of 4 hours of leave because I didn't wanna do UBBM for 4 hours. I'm only asking because if I worked 4 hours and left, I know I'd still get 8 hours of my normal holiday pay. Since I'm converting it to annual I'm not sure why the amount would change.

Edited by user Friday, November 22, 2019 6:43:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roger.d  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 7:05:34 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 780 time(s) in 608 post(s)
I think there is a difference between you going home and them telling you to go home as far as the guaranteed time.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
bobbob1  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 7:24:05 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

yeah, im not worried about that part. they're being cool about me working as much as (or as little) as i want as long all the parcels get thrown. i just need to know if i HAVE to work 8 to get all my annual.

Edited by user Friday, November 22, 2019 7:28:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Hannah Blecter  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 8:13:22 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Originally Posted by: bobbob1 Go to Quoted Post
yeah, im not worried about that part. they're being cool about me working as much as (or as little) as i want as long all the parcels get thrown. i just need to know if i HAVE to work 8 to get all my annual.

If your managers are keen, you will not get paid 8 hours of either pay or annual leave unless you work 8 hours on the holiday.

You are wise to try to learn the rules on the 8 hours of annual. Whether or not your managers care is not a factor. Just an opinion, but I would be surprised if TACS would allow you to get 8 hours of annual leave in lieu of fewer than 8 hours being worked.

That said, I know managers violate laws and rules regarding timekeeping all the time. I don't know if this is one of the things they can falsify or not without falsifying your clock rings. I know they are good at falsifying those.
postalvet  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 8:25:18 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2905 time(s) in 2297 post(s)
pretty sure you don't work 8 the system will know and you will get what you worked.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
MPE2009  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 5:26:07 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bobbob1 Go to Quoted Post
I volunteered to work thanksgiving this year because I want my holiday pay to be turned to annual leave. Management said at least 4 hours. I'm fine with working up to 8, but if I only do 4 will I still be able to convert my holiday pay? My local just says I have to work the holiday, but doesn't specify how long.

If you work only four hours, you'll either get four hours converted into AL or simply get eight hours holiday leave. I'm not sure which TACS will do. You won't get 8 hours holiday leave if you work less than 8 hours, except maybe in the case of the 8 click rule.
Blahblah  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 9:51:07 PM(UTC)
Blahblah

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Who says if you work less than 8 hours on a holiday that you wouldn’t get 8 hours of annual leave (in lieu of holiday pay)? Are you sure?
Hannah Blecter  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 10:35:08 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

The issue is that one would have to know what management will do. And that is not always the same. One manager might not stress about an 8 hour guarantee for someone who worked only 6. Another would, correctly, expect the person to work 8 hours if they wanted 8 hours of pay (or AL in lieu of). Sometimes employees have to file a grievance to get their 8-hour guarantee. I don't know the TACS particulars of this matter, but I do know managers make a difference in both getting paid or not getting paid.
atbt13  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 9:34:21 AM(UTC)
atbt13

Does anyone know what HCA'S get paid for Thanksgiving?
postalvet  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 3:05:59 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Originally Posted by: Blahblah Go to Quoted Post
Who says if you work less than 8 hours on a holiday that you wouldn’t get 8 hours of annual leave (in lieu of holiday pay)? Are you sure?

did you read the joint contract interpretation manual?

https://apwu.org/contrac...on-manual-sept-2017-jcim

page 91

"Employees who work all or part of their holiday may elect to have their annual leave balance credited with up to eight hours of annual leave instead of receiving holiday pay."

seems pretty clear to me.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
postalvet  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 3:10:43 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Originally Posted by: atbt13 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know what HCA'S get paid for Thanksgiving?

regular pay as far as I know

as a holiday clerk assistant you are hired just for the holidays and do not get much extra.

maybe someone who work last season will chime in.

Edited by user Monday, November 25, 2019 3:14:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed