Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
0018 Hopeful  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:11:22 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I didn't know that someone could work and be 100% disabled through the VA, he showed me a document that said the VA said he could apply for Title A Disability jobs as well.

Our HR folks didn't know anything about it.

HR said because he does not have tenure, as he is recently hired, he would have to start his 2 years of tenure over again.

Would that be the same for someone who was mid career and had already had tenure if they used Title A to get a job?
cyberfx1024  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 3:49:50 PM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 0018 Hopeful Go to Quoted Post
I didn't know that someone could work and be 100% disabled through the VA, he showed me a document that said the VA said he could apply for Title A Disability jobs as well.

HR said because he does not have tenure, as he is recently hired, he would have to start his 2 years of tenure over again.

Would that be the same for someone who was mid career and had already had tenure if they used Title A to get a job?

Yes, you can be 100% from the VA and still be working full time. As long as you are not 100% unemployable or 100% just from TBI/PTSD then you can work without an issue.

-Current federal employee and 100% DAV
0018 Hopeful  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 6:00:07 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

So because the VA 100% designation of being able to use title A (like someone with an intellectual or physical disability), does that also work for other government agencies?

Can he apply for Title A consideration outside of the VA?

He has been trying to get back to Texas forever. It would give him a broader scope of jobs to apply for
FS0201  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2019 8:29:13 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 278 time(s) in 242 post(s)
So because the VA 100% designation of being able to use title A (like someone with an intellectual or physical disability), does that also work for other government agencies?

Can he apply for Title A consideration outside of the VA?

He has been trying to get back to Texas forever. It would give him a broader scope of jobs to apply for

0018 Hopeful - Are you referring to “Schedule A”? The way you are referring to it may be causing confusion.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
0018 Hopeful  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2019 12:19:41 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Here is the link he sent me:

http://www.diversity.va....ams/files/pwd/sa-qa.docx

Refers to 100% disabled veterans as being eligible for schedule A.
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 4:26:47 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 995 time(s) in 792 post(s)

A VA rating and ability to work are not the same thing. The VA rating is based on much Uncle Sam broke you during your time in not on your ability to work. So, a 100% rating from the VA can qualify you for Schedule A, however, VEOA and VRA are probably better use of your vet status for getting hired, IMO..VEOA especially. Schedule A and VRA have a 2 year probation period (as does DoD in general these days!), whereas VEOA doesn't (unless you go to an agency like DoD with a 2 year probationary period for everyone). It simply allows you to apply as if you are already a federal employee..and so compete in a smaller pool of applicants.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed