Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MileHighBroncos  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 3:27:38 AM(UTC)
MileHighBroncos

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Hello, I'm in my first year as a FTR. My station is having a bit of a debate on our 2020 vacations. Some people are claiming the weeks we put in for by seniority, begin on Monday and run through Saturday. While others are saying its Saturday through Friday (as I expected). For example I have a week where one guy is trying to take off Saturday, what I assume is the start of my week. We can only have 1 clerk on AL at a time. So main question is , what is correct . When does a bid week begin, and does anyone have any proof in the contract. Thanks for any help.
RodOrRob  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 4:43:37 AM(UTC)
RodOrRob

Was thanked: 1116 time(s) in 810 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MileHighBroncos Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I'm in my first year as a FTR. My station is having a bit of a debate on our 2020 vacations. Some people are claiming the weeks we put in for by seniority, begin on Monday and run through Saturday. While others are saying its Saturday through Friday (as I expected). For example I have a week where one guy is trying to take off Saturday, what I assume is the start of my week. We can only have 1 clerk on AL at a time. So main question is , what is correct . When does a bid week begin, and does anyone have any proof in the contract. Thanks for any help.

Your LMOU will have all those details.

No one here can answer this question for you.
MileHighBroncos  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 4:57:46 AM(UTC)
MileHighBroncos

Man
United States

Hmm really? I thought we all had the same structure when it comes to annual leave and what's considered the beginning of a work week through our contract?
Seadogg  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 5:52:17 AM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 564 time(s) in 377 post(s)
Hmm really? I thought we all had the same structure when it comes to annual leave and what's considered the beginning of a work week through our contract?

No. I have worked in two installations, and in both, vacations ran Mon-Sat. There's no particular reason why they would need to mirror our work weeks.
Hannah Blecter  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:05:36 AM(UTC)
Hannah Blecter

Was thanked: 1248 time(s) in 855 post(s)
As noted, the local addresses this. I can relate that I was a clerk and our vacation weeks started on Saturday. Then we changed it to start on Monday.

Given that Sunday is the day most likely to be a NS day, it makes sense to me to start vacations on either Sunday or Monday and not Saturday. Who wants to come back to work on Saturday and then, most likely, have Sunday off?
colty31  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:40:50 AM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Vacations are Mon-Sat in my office. This allows you to have your long weekend (Fri-Sat off) and then roll it into a full week off the following week.
MileHighBroncos  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 8:59:54 AM(UTC)
MileHighBroncos

Man
United States

I appreciate all the responses, but my main question is how is it suppose to be by the book. Not what has been worked out between clerks. Since we aren't all in agreement with Mon-Sat in my station. I would like it to be by the book if Sat-Fri is how it should be
postalvet  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:18:35 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2905 time(s) in 2297 post(s)

the contract lays out the basic workweek but article 30 sets out the rules for locals to determine when annual will start.

https://d1ocufyfjsc14h.c...bargaining_agreement.pdf

Edited by user Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:24:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:19:58 AM(UTC)
postalvet

I appreciate all the responses, but my main question is how is it suppose to be by the book. Not what has been worked out between clerks. Since we aren't all in agreement with Mon-Sat in my station. I would like it to be by the book if Sat-Fri is how it should be

get a copy of your local memo it will tell you the answer to your question.

we can not answer the question unless we see your local memo.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
122intheshade  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:23:05 AM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 565 time(s) in 454 post(s)
Then you're going to have to have your local "negotiate" that and have it written in stone. Perhaps your station (is there only one, or more stations in your installation) just does it the way it works for most people. If it doesn't work for YOU, you're going to have to push for a change.

Believe it or not, even with all the rules and regs that govern our actions, there is still a LOT of wiggle room that gets worked out in negotiations or arbitration. Look at it this way: Management has its manual of operations. Each craft has its manual of operations. And yet, there exists a THIRD manual to tell both sides how each manual integrates with the other. And if that doesn't work (and often it does not), there's discipline, grieve and arb.

To "answer" your question, the "book" is what anyone interprets it to be. Or, what people WANT it to be. My station is in a high-growth area of Phoenix. Out of 55 routes (up from 50 before the last CDRAAP), probably 20 are overburdened with new growth. In my case, nearly 300 more active addresses from 2016. Now, one of the rocks on which the USPS is built, is the "8-hr route". Guess what. People actually like OT (LOTS of OT) here, so no one is grieving those large routes. Lots of people on Work Assignment. Lots more on the 10 and 12 hour OT list. Early 2021, things will get adjusted and we'll add another five routes; probably more. And then the routes will continue to grow as we still have lots of vacant land in the Valley.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
postalvet  
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:27:00 AM(UTC)
postalvet

go to page 132 in my link above and find this

"The determination of the beginning day of an employee’s vacation period."

that tells you that every office is different.
postalvet  
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:30:38 AM(UTC)
postalvet

now if you office does not have a local memo then this one applies.

https://apwu.org/sites/a...0without%20a%20union.pdf

"The Determination Of The Beginning Day Of An Employee's Vacation Period (Item 6)
The choice vacation period shall start on the first day of the employee's basic work week pursuant to Section 1 0.3.E of the 2010 National Agreement. Exceptions may be granted by agreement among the employee, the union representative and the Employer."
Yukoncarrier24  
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 7:54:24 PM(UTC)
Yukoncarrier24

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Hate to say it but what you would like it to be is irrelevant. As others have stated your local MOU should answer your question. I have worked in three different Post Offices and never have AL scheduling and the work week schedule matched up
Rss Feed  Atom Feed