Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Federal Employees Benefits Q &A

Do you have questions about your federal employee CSRS or FERS pension/annuity or federal employee retirement planning? Concerns about your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account or what about federal employee pay and leave issues?

Ask your question here.

You must Register before posting to this forum.
The Q&A forum is moderated by Ed Zurndorfer -- an expert on federal employee benefits -- and a Certified Financial Planner, chartered life underwriter and chartered financial consultant in Maryland.

Zurndorfer is also the author of several federal employee benefits guides published by Federal Employees News Digest.

Your question will be put into a message queue and submitted for review. We cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, however any answered questions will appear below, and some will also be featured in our daily Federal Daily e-newsletter (Subscribe here). Federal Soup users should not submit replies to the questions posted, as we leave the replies for the moderator only. Any replies to questions other than the moderator will be deleted.

Please do not submit employee benefits questions to the webmaster or the forum moderator.

Note: FederalSoup.com has attempted to compile information that is as accurate and current as possible for federal employees. Federal policies, laws, regulations, statistics and addresses continually change. Therefore, no warranties are made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information presented in this column. If additional clarification or information is needed, it is suggested that competent and professional assistance be sought. Mr. Zurndorfer does not moderate other forums on FederalSoup and will not reply to general FederalSoup inquiries submitted in this Q&A forum.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 6:13:20 AM(UTC)

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/10/2014(UTC)
Posts: 29

If I understand correctly, when I retire at 56 (mra in theory), my sick leave is converted to creditable years/months for calculation of my pension. I have 4 years military time (paid to convert to Civil Service time), and 32 years continuous Federal civil service. I will have 1 year of sick leave when I retire. So I understand that my pension is calculated (1% x average of high 3) x 37. BUT is the sick leave credit also used to calculate the SRS? Which would be the non-military time (36 - 4 military years = 32 years) divided by 40? OR would my sick leave give me an extra year so that it is 33/40 ?
Ed Zurndorfer  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 12:01:19 PM(UTC)
Ed Zurndorfer

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/10/2001(UTC)
Posts: 5,706

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 142 post(s)
Unlike the FERS annuity, unused sick leave (converted to years, months and days) is not used in the calculation of the Special Retirement Supplement (SRS) annuity.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.192 seconds.