Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
snowrider52  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 9:29:48 AM(UTC)
snowrider52

Groups: Registered
United States

I just received an advice of payment for my 2018 HHG move which totaled $35,518. I now have a debt of $7,879 in income tax, $2220 in FICA, and $519 in Medicare. Total debt of $10,619. This was moving to remote Alaska.

I heard that people have had form letters to congressional leaders that I am looking for to be able to let congress know how this is putting a financial burden on government workers that move for a job. I understand RITA but this is still going to cost me a lot out of pocket that I never saw in actual income.

Thanks for any help.
smithandjones  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 12:16:19 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'm not sure what your question is. You need to sit down and work it out. You said you understand RITA but have not indicated an understanding of what expenses are taxable and which expenses are not taxable. I'm not sure where you got the taxable amounts? Hopefully you do, but if not, figure it out.

If you do have a complaint that your Congressman can address I would suggest NOT using a form letter. Tell them your situation.

You could email Don Young right now:
https://donyoung.house.gov/contact/
FS0201  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2019 1:13:36 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 278 time(s) in 242 post(s)
Originally Posted by: snowrider52 Go to Quoted Post
I just received an advice of payment for my 2018 HHG move which totaled $35,518. I now have a debt of $7,879 in income tax, $2220 in FICA, and $519 in Medicare. Total debt of $10,619. This was moving to remote Alaska.

I heard that people have had form letters to congressional leaders that I am looking for to be able to let congress know how this is putting a financial burden on government workers that move for a job. I understand RITA but this is still going to cost me a lot out of pocket that I never saw in actual income.

Thanks for any help.

Have you filed the RITA paperwork yet? That it a significant amount, I only owed $1106 for a move from Asia. I agree that a form letter isn’t best when contacting your representative, but also that it doesn’t do much good to contact them about this.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:44:00 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 497 time(s) in 415 post(s)
Speaking of RITA paperwork, when I retire next summer with orders to 'return to my home of record', where do I get that paperwork? URL? Website? Have to start everything well ahead of time of course.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed