Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
onthecoast  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2019 9:50:06 AM(UTC)
onthecoast

Groups: Registered

CSRS Employee - set to retire on February 29, 2020 but my SCD is March 19, 1980. I should have at least 75 days of unused sick leave as of February 29 2020 - can my unused sick leave be used to make up the difference between my retirement date and my SCD anniversary date to total 40 years of service?

postalvet  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2019 10:30:53 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2932 time(s) in 2323 post(s)
Originally Posted by: onthecoast Go to Quoted Post
CSRS Employee - set to retire on February 29, 2020 but my SCD is March 19, 1980. I should have at least 75 days of unused sick leave as of February 29 2020 - can my unused sick leave be used to make up the difference between my retirement date and my SCD anniversary date to total 40 years of service?

I do not believe so but I can not find the rule

https://www.opm.gov/reti...rvices/csrs-information/
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
GoHuskers  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2019 5:13:01 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 100 post(s)
If I understand the question correctly, the answer is yes. Any unused sick leave will be added to your actual service time to compute your total service for annuity calculation purposes. In your case, with 75 days of unused sick leave you'd add 2 months and 15 days which would give total service of about 40 years, 1 month, and 26 days. The 26 days would be dropped and you'd have 40 years 1 month for annuity purposes. If you have 79 days (632 hours) of unused of sick leave you would get one extra month of service for retirement purposes. (I might be off by a day on those figures.)

The reference is the CSRS FERS Handbook, Chapter 20, Section 20A2.3-1.

https://www.opm.gov/reti...rsfers-handbook/c020.pdf

Edited by user Monday, December 9, 2019 1:04:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: to correct some bad math in the initial reply

ex-military  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2019 4:35:43 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 84 post(s)
The net effect of adding SL to time will get OP to his 40 years, but folks reading this post should be very careful not to read too much into this. OP is already eligible to retire on an immediate annuity, so he/she can go at any point, add the SL and get to whatever time he/she wants to use in calculation of annuity. That said, employees cannot use SL to GET THEMSELVES TO RETIREMENT ELIGIBILITY. That means if you have 19 years and six months of service, with six months of unused SL, you CANNOT use the SL to get you to 20 years.
thanks 1 user thanked ex-military for this useful post.
frankgonzalez on 12/9/2019(UTC)
Roger.D  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2019 6:07:31 AM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Was thanked: 815 time(s) in 640 post(s)
http://www.fedcalc.com/

You can use the above calculators to confirm GoHusker's information.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed