Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

7 Pages«<567
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
XFed77  
#121 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 1:55:50 PM(UTC)
XFed77

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 28 post(s)

This is the first article from the reporter who was reading posts on this forum and contacted a few of us.

It will not be the last.

I hope Congress takes note and does something.

Many aspiring ISOs have taken EOD offers, moved out of their homes/states only to have to break leases and go back to their old jobs because of this disorganized, reckless, last minute, politial hiring freeze.

This is a Hot Mess, typical of this Administration.

I hope something changes.

This has been a Disaster! Not surprised at tall. Naming people to high posts who don't know what they're doing, they are named because they are donors or are rich, and they either resign or are asked resign... Over and over and over...

At least this article is the beginning.

Let's see what happens.

https://www.govexec.com/...migrant-services/163282/
thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
@TheBADGUY on 2/25/2020(UTC)
Mukapuka  
#122 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 2:35:25 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Wowwwwww 😱😱😱😱
Pumas1234  
#123 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 3:44:13 PM(UTC)
Pumas1234

Kudos to that author and all who participated in crafting it. Not a good look for USCIS, hopefully WaPo or the Times is next.
AlphaOmegre  
#124 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 4:26:40 AM(UTC)
AlphaOmegre

Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post

This is the first article from the reporter who was reading posts on this forum and contacted a few of us.

It will not be the last.

Many aspiring ISOs have taken EOD offers, moved out of their homes/states only to have to break leases and go back to their old jobs because of this disorganized, reckless, last minute, politial hiring freeze.

This has been a Disaster! Not surprised at tall. Naming people to high posts who don't know what they're doing, they are named because they are donors or are rich, and they either resign or are asked resign... Over and over and over...

Let's see what happens.

I think it's unfair what has happened to everyone that this hiring situation has affected. I've also been in government long enough to know that's just part of the system. I think anyone who is a government employee long enough eventually becomes a victim of it one way or another.

Still you're clearly biased towards one side as much of your language choice has indicated. Ask yourself, would you feel the same if ICE and CBP were the ones experiencing the same hiring issues? I hope you and everyone else affected starts their new positions as soon as possible, I really do. I also hope you don't let your views influence your work once you finally do start.
XFed77  
#125 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 4:38:15 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: AlphaOmegre Go to Quoted Post

It will not be the last.

Let's see what happens.

I think it's unfair what has happened to everyone that this hiring situation has affected. I've also been in government long enough to know that's just part of the system. I think anyone who is a government employee long enough eventually becomes a victim of it one way or another.

Still you're clearly biased towards one side as much of your language choice has indicated. Ask yourself, would you feel the same if ICE and CBP were the ones experiencing the same hiring issues? I hope you and everyone else affected starts their new positions as soon as possible, I really do. I also hope you don't let your views influence your work once you finally do start.

The same applies to you.

Don't let your views be biased against others who do not have your same ideology and do not defend the mediocrity, tax waste, financial maneuvers, and utter disregard for aspiring employees that's going on.

Don't be that person. Especially if you're a federal employee and have taken an oath. And don't let your ideology affect the way you handle immigrants who are legally here, are qualified for benefits, and have a different race or religion than you.

Be a professional.

thanks 2 users thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
Medic17 on 2/25/2020(UTC), @TheBADGUY on 2/25/2020(UTC)
AlphaOmegre  
#126 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 4:59:24 AM(UTC)
AlphaOmegre

Originally Posted by: AlphaOmegre Go to Quoted Post

It will not be the last.

Let's see what happens.

The same applies to you.

Don't let your views be biased against others who do not have your same ideology and do not defend the mediocrity, tax waste, financial maneuvers, and utter disregard for aspiring employees that's going on.

Don't be that person. Especially if you're a federal employee and have taken an oath. And don't let your ideology affect the way you handle immigrants who are legally here, are qualified for benefits, and have a different race or religion than you.

Be a professional.

Lol you are ridiculous
randomazngeek  
#127 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 10:50:00 AM(UTC)
randomazngeek

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
So I just heard from the CSC Director, all service centers are in a hiring freeze until FY 2021 and overtime will not come back until then. T_T However, they will conduct internal promotions first before they start hiring to the public. Good news is that there are no talks on furloughs...
thanks 1 user thanked randomazngeek for this useful post.
Mike in VT on 2/26/2020(UTC)
pittsburghirs  
#128 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:36:54 PM(UTC)
pittsburghirs

United States

Would CIS ASSISTANT (OFFICE AUTOMATION) & MISSION SUPPORT ASSISTANT (OFFICE AUTOMATION) be included under this hiring freeze? They recently had a 4 day job posting for DC and over 16 positions to be filled both under recent graduate only.
randomazngeek  
#129 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:46:50 PM(UTC)
randomazngeek

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pittsburghirs Go to Quoted Post
Would CIS ASSISTANT (OFFICE AUTOMATION) & MISSION SUPPORT ASSISTANT (OFFICE AUTOMATION) be included under this hiring freeze? They recently had a 4 day job posting for DC and over 16 positions to be filled both under recent graduate only.

Well it would depend on the directorate, for Service Centers and FOD, no one is hiring. RAIO you might have some luck
pittsburghirs  
#130 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:48:42 PM(UTC)
pittsburghirs

United States

Originally Posted by: randomazngeek Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: pittsburghirs Go to Quoted Post

Well it would depend on the directorate, for Service Centers and FOD, no one is hiring. RAIO you might have some luck

Its in Refugee, Asylum & International Operations, Asylum Pre-Screening Officer Center
Mukapuka  
#131 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2020 3:48:09 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

TSA has a hiring freeze too. This is the second DHS agency with a freeze.

https://www.govexec.com/...eezes-tsa-hiring/163350/
Mukapuka  
#132 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2020 3:50:26 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

PittsburghGirl I applied for that position as well. I don’t think they have a freeze. Asylum does not have a freeze.
XFed77  
#133 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2020 5:14:36 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: randomazngeek Go to Quoted Post
So I just heard from the CSC Director, all service centers are in a hiring freeze until FY 2021 and overtime will not come back until then. T_T However, they will conduct internal promotions first before they start hiring to the public. Good news is that there are no talks on furloughs...

So it takes us through the whole Election year and the hiring freeze is for the Agency that provides benefits to Immigrants but not for the Agencies that check/detain/apprehend Immigrants...

What a coincidence...

A political maneuver with Tax Dollars...

pety4000  
#134 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2020 5:39:19 PM(UTC)
pety4000

United States

Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
This freeze makes me really wish a Democrat was in the Oval Office. : (

I can’t wait to hear this gem...

Please do tell us why you wish a dem was in charge.

The funding would have not been diverted from USCIS to the Border Patrol, CBP, and ICE, for political reasons would be my main reason...

Believe it or not, USCIS enforces immigration law as well. Proper enforcement of our laws is good for all agencies, not just ICE/CBP. Asylum officers are being inundated with unnecessary (i.e. non-qualifying) cases and the same goes for frivolous victim-based petitions as well. I do agree that it's sneaky to pull funds from one agency to another, but it's really no different than a president from issuing an executive order that was not passed by Congress.

At least you agree with the sneaky part. I respect that.

The only reason I voice my opinion on this is because it's affecting my hiring process and it's unfair. Can't turn a blind eye to this no matter which party is in power.

Yes, this is similar to an Executive Order in the sense that it is unilateral, but at least the Executive Orders are publicly announced and in the open; Congress and Everyone knows about them when passed. The maneuvering sneakyness part adds salt to my wounds because us, the victims, are powerless to do something about and we have no knowledge of Congress being aware or not, and if they are, what they're doing or not to intercede. We're in the dark and powerless to ask for answers/help.

So I've read through a few pages of this thread, and all I gotta say is take off the tinfoil hat. There is no conspiracy here. There are no backroom deals, nothing nefarious. Yes, there was a $207 million dollar transfer from USCIS to ICE in FY2019. And guess what? It was in the budget, the same budget that Congress voted on.

"Law Enforcement Fraud Investigations (Transfer to ICE) (-$207.6M): In FY 2019, the IEFA Domestic Operations PPA includes a $207.6M
program increase and a corresponding transfer out of $207.6M to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for law enforcement fraud
investigations. This has no effect on USCIS’s FY 2019 spending authority for IEFA. ICE will use $92.7M of the funds transferred from IEFA for the costs associated with the hiring of 300 new Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) Law Enforcement Officers (LEOs) and $114.9M for costs within ICE’s Domestic Investigations PPA Level II that supports the immigration benefit fraud prevention and detection and the investigatory work necessary to adjudicate immigration benefit applications and petitions, including visa overstay and worksite enforcement. ICE will also support the Operation Janus requirements associated with enrolling historical fingerprint cards into automated systems and associated investigatory work."

Page 58- https://www.dhs.gov/site...migration%20Services.pdf
XFed77  
#135 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2020 5:50:12 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: pety4000 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
This freeze makes me really wish a Democrat was in the Oval Office. : (

I can’t wait to hear this gem...

Please do tell us why you wish a dem was in charge.

The funding would have not been diverted from USCIS to the Border Patrol, CBP, and ICE, for political reasons would be my main reason...

Believe it or not, USCIS enforces immigration law as well. Proper enforcement of our laws is good for all agencies, not just ICE/CBP. Asylum officers are being inundated with unnecessary (i.e. non-qualifying) cases and the same goes for frivolous victim-based petitions as well. I do agree that it's sneaky to pull funds from one agency to another, but it's really no different than a president from issuing an executive order that was not passed by Congress.

At least you agree with the sneaky part. I respect that.

The only reason I voice my opinion on this is because it's affecting my hiring process and it's unfair. Can't turn a blind eye to this no matter which party is in power.

Yes, this is similar to an Executive Order in the sense that it is unilateral, but at least the Executive Orders are publicly announced and in the open; Congress and Everyone knows about them when passed. The maneuvering sneakyness part adds salt to my wounds because us, the victims, are powerless to do something about and we have no knowledge of Congress being aware or not, and if they are, what they're doing or not to intercede. We're in the dark and powerless to ask for answers/help.

So I've read through a few pages of this thread, and all I gotta say is take off the tinfoil hat. There is no conspiracy here. There are no backroom deals, nothing nefarious. Yes, there was a $207 million dollar transfer from USCIS to ICE in FY2019. And guess what? It was in the budget, the same budget that Congress voted on.

"Law Enforcement Fraud Investigations (Transfer to ICE) (-$207.6M): In FY 2019, the IEFA Domestic Operations PPA includes a $207.6M
program increase and a corresponding transfer out of $207.6M to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for law enforcement fraud
investigations. This has no effect on USCIS’s FY 2019 spending authority for IEFA. ICE will use $92.7M of the funds transferred from IEFA for the costs associated with the hiring of 300 new Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) Law Enforcement Officers (LEOs) and $114.9M for costs within ICE’s Domestic Investigations PPA Level II that supports the immigration benefit fraud prevention and detection and the investigatory work necessary to adjudicate immigration benefit applications and petitions, including visa overstay and worksite enforcement. ICE will also support the Operation Janus requirements associated with enrolling historical fingerprint cards into automated systems and associated investigatory work."

Page 58- https://www.dhs.gov/site...migration%20Services.pdf

What Fiscal Year are we in?

2019 is long gone...

Mukapuka  
#136 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2020 5:50:38 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

2nd article from the reporter.
Now TSA has a hiring freeze too. This is the second DHS agency with a freeze.

https://www.govexec.com/...eezes-tsa-hiring/163350/
Rss Feed  Atom Feed