Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

33 Pages«<1314151617>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mike in VT  
#281 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 10:53:45 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pumas1234 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RainMan666 Go to Quoted Post
They should just give the agency congressional funding in 2021. Or, if Trump is re-elected just scrap the agency and transfer everyone to ICE/CBP.

So back to the INS structure?

Maybe keep it under DHS, as i believe INS was DOJ. But, i do think the agency needs to be reorganized, especially if the bailout is given.

This is actually a really good idea. CIS, ICE, and CBP would be able to function more smoothly if they consolidated back into one agency again.

It didn't happen before, no reason to think it would work well this time.
daddythedonkey  
#282 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 11:04:17 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
They should just give the agency congressional funding in 2021. Or, if Trump is re-elected just scrap the agency and transfer everyone to ICE/CBP.

So back to the INS structure?

Maybe keep it under DHS, as i believe INS was DOJ. But, i do think the agency needs to be reorganized, especially if the bailout is given.

This is actually a really good idea. CIS, ICE, and CBP would be able to function more smoothly if they consolidated back into one agency again.

It didn't happen before, no reason to think it would work well this time.

It doesn't work now.
Mukapuka  
#283 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 11:17:29 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
That’s the truth 👆🏽
daddythedonkey  
#284 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 11:18:48 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
Wow just wow. I can hear Stephen Miller laughing like an evil villain right now. They have brought USCIS to its knees.

Someone in an earlier post quoted a 61% drop in applications. An email from the Deputy Director of Policy for CIS was also posted which explains the agency's current woes. Can't self-fund w/o a revenue source.
daddythedonkey  
#285 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 11:23:14 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

That’s the truth 👆🏽

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good opinion. LOL
XFed77  
#286 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 12:58:26 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ISOapplicant Go to Quoted Post
Wow just wow. I can hear Stephen Miller laughing like an evil villain right now. They have brought USCIS to its knees.

Someone in an earlier post quoted a 61% drop in applications. An email from the Deputy Director of Policy for CIS was also posted which explains the agency's current woes. Can't self-fund w/o a revenue source.

The COVID woes have been greatly exacerbated due to the lack of a competent, coherent federal government response. Whether the crippling effects to our government is a side effect or the intention is better discussed elsewhere.

Agree!

daddythedonkey  
#287 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 1:29:07 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

bp340 is the zaniest middle aged man, I know. Honestly, this guy gets it. He knows what it's like to hate themself. To not want to live anymore. To have no wife, kids, or meaning. Bp340 is the kinda guy that when you see him, you walk the other way. A man without a family, thats who you dont want to be around. To me, that man is bp340.

Really? Let's keep it civil.
daddythedonkey  
#288 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 1:47:43 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: ISOapplicant Go to Quoted Post

The COVID woes have been greatly exacerbated due to the lack of a competent, coherent federal government response. Whether the crippling effects to our government is a side effect or the intention is better discussed elsewhere.

I don't see what difference it makes to someone wanting to know the status of the hiring freeze. The situation is what it is. Just look at what the agency is telling its current employees.
bp340  
#289 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 2:51:07 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 26 post(s)
bp340 is the zaniest middle aged man, I know. Honestly, this guy gets it. He knows what it's like to hate themself. To not want to live anymore. To have no wife, kids, or meaning. Bp340 is the kinda guy that when you see him, you walk the other way. A man without a family, thats who you dont want to be around. To me, that man is bp340.

I know you may play a psychologist in your own mind..... but that doesn’t mean you have any “insight”. Good luck with your future CIS prospects.

bp340  
#290 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 3:22:09 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: bp340 Go to Quoted Post

I know you may play a psychologist in your own mind..... but that doesn’t mean you have any “insight”. Good luck with your future CIS prospects.

Lol never applying to CIS again!

You sure told me!!! I’m sure CIS is missing out. Good luck at Burger U.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Just StartingOut on 5/18/2020(UTC)
bp340  
#291 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 3:36:38 PM(UTC)

At the end of the day BP is right, he is too depressed to function. The lack of any good humor, a product of being old and awaiting death has made him bitter toward people who will make it to the year 2025. Dont worry BP we will continue the good fight, and in time, will remember you for what you were. A smelly old single man who lived by himself in an apartment. I know that hits home. Its ok not all people were meant to be surrounded by loved ones.

LOL.... you stick to the “would you like fries with that” and let Dr Phil do the made for TV psychological profiles.

I realize that the loss of a potential GS 5 position can feel overwhelming and force you to lash out at those that have it better than you. Keep the faith and you may just make assistant manager.
bp340  
#292 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 3:42:05 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: janathan48 Go to Quoted Post
You raised the point. I have been working with this agency for a decade.
HOWEVER I am deeply concerned about job security, what the RIF strategy will be :layoffs of underperforming employees, senior retirement age seniors, or cutting employees with the do-more with less strategy. Bailout or not, there will be more consequences in FY 2021 if the fee increase cannot break-even the declined applications.
Not the time to blame game and point fingers at each other, lot of good folks may lose their jobs, that's my thought.

These are crazy times but I doubt that someone with 10 years on the job will get RIF’d. I don’t think they will be laying off half of the staff. I would double check the OPM RIF policies to see where you would end up if they move to start a reduction in force. RIFs are done almost exclusively by seniority but veterans have the advantage.
daddythedonkey  
#293 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 3:51:24 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: bp340 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: janathan48 Go to Quoted Post
You raised the point. I have been working with this agency for a decade.
HOWEVER I am deeply concerned about job security, what the RIF strategy will be :layoffs of underperforming employees, senior retirement age seniors, or cutting employees with the do-more with less strategy. Bailout or not, there will be more consequences in FY 2021 if the fee increase cannot break-even the declined applications.
Not the time to blame game and point fingers at each other, lot of good folks may lose their jobs, that's my thought.

These are crazy times but I doubt that someone with 10 years on the job will get RIF’d. I don’t think they will be laying off half of the staff. I would double check the OPM RIF policies to see where you would end up if they move to start a reduction in force. RIFs are done almost exclusively by seniority but veterans have the advantage.

Let's hope you're right. Still, it's telling that someone with the agency for a decade is concerned. And he's right, the bailout is just a stopgap to make it through the summer and to the end of the fiscal year in September. The agency is in this position because applications are down almost 2/3 because applicants can't afford it. Now they're going to increase the fees by 10% to pay back the bailout. That doesn't bode well for FY21

janathan48, best of luck. Keep in mind that many other agencies are now hiring despite the Wuhan pandemic and its economic repercussions.
Taystee  
#294 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:53:33 AM(UTC)
Taystee

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I also have over a decade of service within the federal government and am concerned. I know contractors were told today that many will be laid off.

If this helps anyone here’s OPM’s guidelines for RIF. https://www.opm.gov/poli...ns-in-force/#url=Summary

I read it that everyone is ranked on the same 4 factors ( bargaining vs bargaining and non vs non) within a commuting area.

I’m hoping they offer early retirement incentives and enough take them that we are able to keep the ship afloat until applications increase.

If not perhaps staggered furloughs to keep everyone? I feel pretty good about my odds but I know so many people that don’t even have three years in and are some of the best officers.
GreatlakesISO  
#295 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:22:44 AM(UTC)
GreatlakesISO

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I’m pretty worried about the situation. Started as an ISO II (no prior federal experience) in November, so I feel like I am going to be one of the first ones to go.

Hopefully things work out.
thanks 1 user thanked GreatlakesISO for this useful post.
@TheBADGUY on 5/19/2020(UTC)
XFed77  
#296 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 12:27:42 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Taystee Go to Quoted Post
I also have over a decade of service within the federal government and am concerned. I know contractors were told today that many will be laid off.

If this helps anyone here’s OPM’s guidelines for RIF. https://www.opm.gov/poli...ns-in-force/#url=Summary

I read it that everyone is ranked on the same 4 factors ( bargaining vs bargaining and non vs non) within a commuting area.

I’m hoping they offer early retirement incentives and enough take them that we are able to keep the ship afloat until applications increase.

If not perhaps staggered furloughs to keep everyone? I feel pretty good about my odds but I know so many people that don’t even have three years in and are some of the best officers.

I'm hoping the only "early retirement" we see is one forced after November 2020 of the guy who wanted to inject people with disinfectant. Then USCIS would be OK...

daddythedonkey  
#297 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 5:23:11 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: Taystee Go to Quoted Post

Your concern is understandable. If they can't make payroll w/o a bailout, I wonder what kind of early retirement incentive they'd be able to offer. Feel bad for the contractors that will be laid off. Wonder if that will save any current career employees'jobs. Definitely wouldn't end the hiring freeze.
daddythedonkey  
#298 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 5:24:49 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: GreatlakesISO Go to Quoted Post
I’m pretty worried about the situation. Started as an ISO II (no prior federal experience) in November, so I feel like I am going to be one of the first ones to go.

I feel for you. Just know that there are many agencies currently hiring. Best of luck.
thanks 1 user thanked daddythedonkey for this useful post.
GreatlakesISO on 5/20/2020(UTC)
@TheBADGUY  
#299 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 7:19:33 PM(UTC)
@TheBADGUY

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GreatlakesISO Go to Quoted Post

These are scary times, I hope everything works out for you, please keep us updated.
thanks 1 user thanked @TheBADGUY for this useful post.
GreatlakesISO on 5/20/2020(UTC)
PSEtoPTF  
#300 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:20:40 PM(UTC)
PSEtoPTF

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I have started with USCIS recently as well, after reading this thread yesterday, it got me worried, but I hope everything will be fine.
Today we were told that the office will reopen for in-person services in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed! :)
thanks 2 users thanked PSEtoPTF for this useful post.
@TheBADGUY on 5/20/2020(UTC), athena79 on 5/20/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed