Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

33 Pages«<1415161718>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
XFed77  
#301 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:23:26 PM(UTC)
XFed77

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PSEtoPTF Go to Quoted Post
I have started with USCIS recently as well, after reading this thread yesterday, it got me worried, but I hope everything will be fine.
Today we were told that the office will reopen for in-person services in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed! :)

That's good news!
thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
fedwork_milvet on 5/21/2020(UTC)
@TheBADGUY  
#302 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:56:51 PM(UTC)
@TheBADGUY

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I have started with USCIS recently as well, after reading this thread yesterday, it got me worried, but I hope everything will be fine.
Today we were told that the office will reopen for in-person services in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed! :)

Glad to hear this, Hopefully everything from here on out is good news!
thanks 1 user thanked @TheBADGUY for this useful post.
athena79 on 5/20/2020(UTC)
daddythedonkey  
#303 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 6:43:14 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

That's good. Hopefully things pick up. Did they say it they expect to make up for any of the revenue lost over the last 2 months?
Mukapuka  
#304 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 12:53:30 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RainMan666 Go to Quoted Post
OMG: Just got my EOD and am in at USCIS!

CONGRATULATIONS! 🎉
What position?
XFed77  
#305 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 1:24:51 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Congratulations RainMan!!!

daddythedonkey  
#306 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 1:32:48 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post

CONGRATULATIONS! 🎉
What position?

Ditto congrats!
Yes, what position? What location?
What an amazing turnaround from the agency looking for a bailout to avoid layoffs only days ago. Now they are hiring. Almost unreal since the hiring freeze was supposed to last until at least the end of the fiscal in September. Now, we have proof that the hiring freeze is over despite everything the agency said previously.
XFed77  
#307 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:24:38 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

now i feel bad. i wasnt being serious : (

Oh, that's not cool, to do that here.

thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
Taystee on 5/21/2020(UTC)
Taystee  
#308 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 4:14:01 PM(UTC)
Taystee

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Seriously not cool! There are current employees on this forum that are still conditional and have already expressed concern over the situation.

The only new news I’ve received is that our operations is going to have to evolve in order to take on the responsibilities that once were those of the contractors.

I feel like that’s a good sign. But I’m an optimist at heart. I do feel for the contractors. If I’m being completely honest I do feel like mismanaged funds is more to blame then Covid. But there were some inefficiencies I’ve noticed that could only be explained as jobs for the sake of jobs. Which is fine if you can afford it....

That said, hoping that the contractors are the only job losses. I am concerned that if the loan is granted the surcharge could dissuade applicants and the problem will continue to evolve.
daddythedonkey  
#309 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 5:16:31 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
now i feel bad. i wasnt being serious : (

Oh, that's not cool, to do that here.

Originally Posted by: Taystee Go to Quoted Post
Seriously not cool! There are current employees on this forum that are still conditional and have already expressed concern over the situation.

The only new news I’ve received is that our operations is going to have to evolve in order to take on the responsibilities that once were those of the contractors.

I feel like that’s a good sign. But I’m an optimist at heart. I do feel for the contractors. If I’m being completely honest I do feel like mismanaged funds is more to blame then Covid. But there were some inefficiencies I’ve noticed that could only be explained as jobs for the sake of jobs. Which is fine if you can afford it....

That said, hoping that the contractors are the only job losses. I am concerned that if the loan is granted the surcharge could dissuade applicants and the problem will continue to evolve.

Wow. I'm near speechless. Awful thing to come on this forum and lie about being hired at a time like this.

We've heard before on here about contractors losing their jobs. Obviously an effort to meet the payroll for current career employees. Still, a shame for those contractors. Very sad.

Applicants already feel unable to pay the current fees due to the Wuhan pandemic lock down affected economy. I agree, the 10% surcharge won't improve that situation. The bailout would be a band aid on a gaping wound. Truly an evolving problem, as you stated.

An unfortunate situation for current employees and hopeful applicants as well.
jaxberlin  
#310 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2020 10:37:59 AM(UTC)
jaxberlin

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I can't believe I have to come in here and say this, but jesus christ, this is a public forum. Most of us are here to get honest and valuable inside info about USCIS and other government departments. Meanwhile, some of you are just here taking shots at each other. You are deliberately wasting our time while we have to sift through this garbage to find any useful information. Act like adults. Please grow up.
thanks 10 users thanked jaxberlin for this useful post.
uscisapp on 5/22/2020(UTC), fedwork_milvet on 5/22/2020(UTC), @TheBADGUY on 5/22/2020(UTC), zizzer on 5/23/2020(UTC), jys_usa on 5/23/2020(UTC), Mike in VT on 5/24/2020(UTC), Taystee on 5/24/2020(UTC), athena79 on 5/27/2020(UTC), JDSIII on 5/28/2020(UTC), Radical Bears on 6/5/2020(UTC)
GreatlakesISO  
#311 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2020 4:57:04 PM(UTC)
GreatlakesISO

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It looks like the cuts are coming. https://www.kansascity.c...al/article242937081.html

I feel for the contractors that will lose their jobs, especially in this economic climate.

I'm trying to remain as hopeful as possible. Wishing those in a similar situation the best as well.
daddythedonkey  
#312 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2020 5:08:26 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: GreatlakesISO Go to Quoted Post
It looks like the cuts are coming. https://www.kansascity.c...al/article242937081.html

I feel for the contractors that will lose their jobs, especially in this economic climate.

I'm trying to remain as hopeful as possible. Wishing those in a similar situation the best as well.

Yeah, the contractor layoffs were mentioned in a post a couple of days ago. Still, crazy how quickly the dominoes are falling. Requesting a bailout and then laying off contractors two weeks later. Just a horrible situation all around.
bp340  
#313 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2020 8:35:19 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Here’s another article about the current situation with CIS.

https://www.govexec.com/...budget-shortfall/165615/
Pumas1234  
#314 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2020 10:53:34 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Saw on twitter that furloughs will begin on 7/1 if no bailout given. USCIS is more comparable to JC Penney than it is to other agencies.
bleedgreen18  
#315 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2020 4:07:13 PM(UTC)
bleedgreen18

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I saw that Tweet but am wondering how legit It is. Although it was written by an immigration lawyer, it’s still curious where he got the news from.
HurryUpAndWait29  
#316 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2020 5:41:47 PM(UTC)
HurryUpAndWait29

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Scary times for the agency and its employees...it’s terrible that 1,000 contractors in Kansas City were let go. Congress has about one month to make a decision about giving us $1.2B, starting from June 01 when they get back from their break.
randomazngeek  
#317 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2020 12:44:48 PM(UTC)
randomazngeek

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Well major bad news, if Congress does not act by July 20, employees will be furlough. Also, until the end of the fiscal year or unless the financial situation improves:
1. USCIS not extend any job offers until further notice
2. USCIS will not set start dates (EOD) for anyone who has received and accepted a tentative offer
daddythedonkey  
#318 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2020 3:08:16 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: randomazngeek Go to Quoted Post
Well major bad news, if Congress does not act by July 20, employees will be furlough. Also, until the end of the fiscal year or unless the financial situation improves:
1. USCIS not extend any job offers until further notice
2. USCIS will not set start dates (EOD) for anyone who has received and accepted a tentative offer

Yeah, it's becoming more and more clear how serious the situation is. Forget about a job offer or EOD anytime soon. Let's hope it doesn't get too grim for current career employees. Thoughts and prayers.
daddythedonkey  
#319 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2020 3:19:18 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

A few quotes from from a CBS News report:

"The national union representing thousands of USCIS employees was informed by the agency on Tuesday that approximately 10,800 bargaining employees could face furloughs, which would last for more than 30 days, according to a letter obtained by CBS News.

USCIS estimates that applications will continue to drop by about 61% through September, agency officials said. By the end of the summer, the agency is expected to run out of funding, the officials added. USCIS said it has already limited spending to salary and "mission-critical" operations.

According to the letter sent to the president of the national USCIS union, the agency is hoping to use $571.12 million in funds for payroll, rent, office contracts, fingerprint and background check processing and IT services during the remainder of fiscal year 2020. The rest, about $650 million, would be used to ensure "sufficient resources are available" at the start of fiscal year 2021."

I didn't think the number would be as high as almost 11k furloughs. And they don't just want a bailout to make ends meet until the end of the fiscal year. They actually need more of the money for next fiscal year. This has the potential to be a very long term problem.
daddythedonkey  
#320 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2020 3:28:00 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
A few quotes from from a CBS News report:

"The national union representing thousands of USCIS employees was informed by the agency on Tuesday that approximately 10,800 bargaining employees could face furloughs, which would last for more than 30 days, according to a letter obtained by CBS News.

USCIS estimates that applications will continue to drop by about 61% through September, agency officials said. By the end of the summer, the agency is expected to run out of funding, the officials added. USCIS said it has already limited spending to salary and "mission-critical" operations.

According to the letter sent to the president of the national USCIS union, the agency is hoping to use $571.12 million in funds for payroll, rent, office contracts, fingerprint and background check processing and IT services during the remainder of fiscal year 2020. The rest, about $650 million, would be used to ensure "sufficient resources are available" at the start of fiscal year 2021."

I didn't think the number would be as high as almost 11k furloughs. And they don't just want a bailout to make ends meet until the end of the fiscal year. They actually need more of the money for next fiscal year. This has the potential to be a very long term problem.

The agency only has 19k employees, including contractors. They might furlough more than half of the agency. That's unreal!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed