Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

32 Pages«<1516171819>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
daddythedonkey  
#321 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 2:18:47 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ISOapplicant Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MGG Go to Quoted Post
Forget about the freeze. We are in RIF territory now (check email sent Friday evening by the Director).

Yuppers. It's sad that a once fiscally-sound agency is now in trouble. The biggest reason the agency is in a potential RIF status is mostly due to funds being taken from USCIS and put into ICE/CBP. COVID-19 didn't help the situation.

If we do go to a RIF/furloughed status (which is why I think this 'warning shot' went out), hiring would be on a long-term freeze, those with 15 years or more(?) would be offered buy-outs, the RIF would directly affect those with <3 years. Once things get rolling again with the economy, those who were RIF'd could potentially be come back. Congress and USCIS needs to strongly look at charging for humanitarian-based petitions and applications (this was vaguely referred to in the announcement).

Why do you think they would stop at the last three years? If filings are down 61%, then wouldn't they be looking to shed roughly half the workforce? I got hired five years ago and I'm updating my resume, but if there's a reason to not be worried I'd love to hear it.

You nailed it. They're looking to shed more than half the workforce.
daddythedonkey  
#322 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 4:06:37 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: jaxberlin Go to Quoted Post
I can't believe I have to come in here and say this, but jesus christ, this is a public forum. Most of us are here to get honest and valuable inside info about USCIS and other government departments. Meanwhile, some of you are just here taking shots at each other. You are deliberately wasting our time while we have to sift through this garbage to find any useful information. Act like adults. Please grow up.

I believe these forums have monitors. I'd say they need to step up their game and, at least, delete posts if not block users. The last week or so has seen a lot of childish behavior on here.
Taystee  
#323 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 5:40:31 AM(UTC)
Taystee

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
They are extending the contractors through June! Emmanuel Clever got wind of the situation and had been in communication with leadership at USCIS. They have agreed to keep everyone on payroll through June while he urges Congress to act and addresses the agenciy’s budgetary shortfalls.
Maybe just prolonging the inevitable but maybe not! Either way I consider this good news!
Hang onto your butts! This wild ride ain’t over yet!

Edited by user Thursday, May 28, 2020 5:42:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Taystee for this useful post.
athena79 on 5/28/2020(UTC), HurryUpAndWait29 on 5/28/2020(UTC)
croptachi  
#324 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 5:40:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Notes from union call for Local 1924 (HQ/National Capital Area). (20 year agency employee, field/center/and HQ time)

1. If no congressional funding by June 20th, furlough notices will likely go out - per CBA, management needs to give 30 days notice to affected employees.
2. Furlough will follow RIF guidelines found on OPM.gov - Service Comp Date + bonus years for last three PPAs (do your own math)
3. Furlough will affect 60-70% of staff nationwide, including management - this is 60-70% reduction per directorate/office.
4. Furlough is temporary but expected to last until funding is available or FY21 starts, possibly longer.
5. Reminder to call your elected officials
6. Union leadership cautiously optimistic on the bailout - union lobbyists and union leaders meeting daily with appropriations and judiciary to explain the situation.
7. No mention of buy-outs or early retirements, yet.
8. No hiring/onboarding for the foreseeable future.

Personal thoughts based on tenure with INS/USCIS, I think that if an employee has a SCD after 2008, unfortunately they should prepare to be furloughed.
thanks 6 users thanked for this useful post.
Taystee on 5/28/2020(UTC), zizzer on 5/28/2020(UTC), athena79 on 5/28/2020(UTC), HurryUpAndWait29 on 5/28/2020(UTC), jaxberlin on 5/28/2020(UTC), ISOapplicant on 5/29/2020(UTC)
Taystee  
#325 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 5:54:34 AM(UTC)
Taystee

United States

Originally Posted by: croptachi Go to Quoted Post
Notes from union call for Local 1924 (HQ/National Capital Area). (20 year agency employee, field/center/and HQ time)

1. If no congressional funding by June 20th, furlough notices will likely go out - per CBA, management needs to give 30 days notice to affected employees.
2. Furlough will follow RIF guidelines found on OPM.gov - Service Comp Date + bonus years for last three PPAs (do your own math)
3. Furlough will affect 60-70% of staff nationwide, including management - this is 60-70% reduction per directorate/office.
4. Furlough is temporary but expected to last until funding is available or FY21 starts, possibly longer.
6. Union leadership cautiously optimistic on the bailout - union lobbyists and union leaders meeting daily with appropriations and judiciary to explain the situation.

Personal thoughts based on tenure with INS/USCIS, I think that if an employee has a SCD after 2008, unfortunately they should prepare to be furloughed.

Life can be so funny sometimes. My original SCD was mid 2008 but due to a furlough it was changed to March 2009.

I’m still hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.
Taystee  
#326 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 6:17:11 AM(UTC)
Taystee

United States

Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey. Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Taystee Go to Quoted Post

Life can be so funny sometimes. My original SCD was mid 2008 but due to a furlough it was changed to March 2009.

lol u are getting furloughed

It’s a been there, done that situation for me. I’ve always had the experience of it I’m willing to work someone was willing to hire me.

Thankfully due to past experiences I never trusted a government position to be secure so I’ve always had an emergency fund. Dave Ramsey really help guide me to financial peace. I know he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but his plan worked for me.

How are you? I feel like we had some good exchanges on here earlier and now you’re descending into a random mess. If you’re this stressed out maybe take a break from the screens?

Edited by user Thursday, May 28, 2020 6:17:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

athena79  
#327 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 7:22:51 AM(UTC)
athena79

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey. Go to Quoted Post

lol u are getting furloughed

It’s a been there, done that situation for me. I’ve always had the experience of it I’m willing to work someone was willing to hire me.

Thankfully due to past experiences I never trusted a government position to be secure so I’ve always had an emergency fund. Dave Ramsey really help guide me to financial peace. I know he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but his plan worked for me.

How are you? I feel like we had some good exchanges on here earlier and now you’re descending into a random mess. If you’re this stressed out maybe take a break from the screens?

It’s not them. The username is slightly different (period at end of name). Someone is trolling that user.

thanks 1 user thanked athena79 for this useful post.
Taystee on 5/28/2020(UTC)
Pumas1234  
#328 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 11:50:32 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
well, they're bringing back premium processing next month.
daddythedonkey  
#329 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 12:14:53 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy123 Go to Quoted Post

It's for petitions for workers visas. Is that going to help generate revenue considering current unemployment rates?
ISOapplicant  
#330 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 4:42:56 PM(UTC)
ISOapplicant

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Assuming these estimates are correct, it's a huge relief. I mean, I'm pretty bearish on the possibility of Congressional funding and I expect to be furloughed, but two weeks ago I was expecting to get laid off. Being furloughed for a couple months is a much better alternative.
ISOapplicant  
#331 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 4:45:43 PM(UTC)
ISOapplicant

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post

It's for petitions for workers visas. Is that going to help generate revenue considering current unemployment rates?

It won't hurt.
Bros1980  
#332 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2020 8:00:55 AM(UTC)
Bros1980

Taystee....if I may ask what agency were you with when you got furloughed and how long was it?

Does any furlough time count towards service time?
daddythedonkey  
#333 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2020 8:18:20 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post

It won't hurt.

Would make more sense to implement changes that are likely to help than one that won't hurt.
HurryUpAndWait29  
#334 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2020 12:18:30 PM(UTC)
HurryUpAndWait29

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Assuming these estimates are correct, it's a huge relief. I mean, I'm pretty bearish on the possibility of Congressional funding and I expect to be furloughed, but two weeks ago I was expecting to get laid off. Being furloughed for a couple months is a much better alternative.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but during the FOD HQ town hall a couple of days ago, they mentioned that an administrative furlough cannot exceed more than 30 calendar days. After that, a RIF has to happen.

Also, they aren’t considering a part time furlough. It would be for 30 straight days. They will look at each level grade and type of service (competitive) and furlough a portion of them. For example, a portion of GS 9 officers will be furloughed in that category, then a portion of GS 11 officers will be furloughed, then a portion of GS 13s, and so on.

Those who have earlier SCDs with military time would be at the back end of the list.
Taystee  
#335 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2020 1:15:34 PM(UTC)
Taystee

United States

Originally Posted by: Bros1980 Go to Quoted Post
Taystee....if I may ask what agency were you with when you got furloughed and how long was it?

I worked at the IRS, night shift and it lasted almost a year. We were allowed to seek employment elsewhere which I did. Because it was over 6 months it impacted my SCD. I was called back eventually to the day shift but stayed for only a short time as I landed a promotion with a gig in another department (that was more secure).

I believe it didn’t impact my time in grade although I’m not sure.

Since it was over 30 days they had to rank everyone through RIF standards. And they lost pretty much all their young blood. It also did not affect the supervisors. We were well informed. It was all based on the amount of work so I feel like local management was able to answer all questions. This one seems to change everyday. I feel like my supervisor knows as much as I do. Everything is so up in the air.

Also, with this one it sounds like we are not allowed to seek other employment. So I hope that means they don’t anticipated it going over b 6 months. Honestly, the suspense is worse than the actual notice. I was able to receive unemployment last time until I found other work.
Taystee  
#336 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2020 1:19:38 PM(UTC)
Taystee

United States

Originally Posted by: HurryUpAndWait29 Go to Quoted Post

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but during the FOD HQ town hall a couple of days ago, they mentioned that an administrative furlough cannot exceed more than 30 calendar days. After that, a RIF has to happen.

Also, they aren’t considering a part time furlough. It would be for 30 straight days. They will look at each level grade and type of service (competitive) and furlough a portion of them. For example, a portion of GS 9 officers will be furloughed in that category, then a portion of GS 11 officers will be furloughed, then a portion of GS 13s, and so on.

Those who have earlier SCDs with military time would be at the back end of the list.

An administrative furlough can exceed 30 days. If it’s under 30 days the agency can just use seniority based only on CIS time served. Over 30 days they must use RIF guidelines to rank us. And with the push to get everyone’s military time and SCDs right to reflect other agency service it sounds like it will be over 30 days.
HurryUpAndWait29  
#337 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2020 1:44:22 PM(UTC)
HurryUpAndWait29

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Oh I see. You’re right, I read the OPM guidelines. I guess they didn’t want to inform us that it could be more than a year.

N. Procedures—More than 22 Workdays (Extended Furlough)
1. When is an agency required to use reduction in force (RIF) procedures to administratively furlough employees?

A. Agencies must follow RIF procedures for an extended furlough of more than 30 continuous calendar days, or of more than 22 discontinuous workdays (though, importantly, a furlough is a temporary placement in non-pay/non-duty status; it is not a permanent separation from service).

2. Is there a maximum period an employee may be administratively furloughed for an extended period?

A. Yes. An employee may be placed on an extended furlough only when the agency plans to recall the employee to his or her position within 1 year. Therefore, the furlough may not exceed 1 year.
PSEtoPTF  
#338 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2020 2:12:14 PM(UTC)
PSEtoPTF

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Omg this whole thing is giving me so much anxiety it is not even funny. I wish they will just say: yes, we are going on furlough, here is the info. But, they don’t know, and I understand. However, all these town halls, emails, meetings with no particular info just some, “we might be going on furlough, but we don’t know”. Just don’t. Until you know something. People asking questions that they can’t answer now, and it’s just unknown thing is driving me crazy. I think once you said that this is possible, it’s enough. Next time is when you know for sure what’s happening because we all have questions with no answers for now.
AsylumOff  
#339 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2020 4:59:19 PM(UTC)
AsylumOff

United States

Originally Posted by: PSEtoPTF Go to Quoted Post
Omg this whole thing is giving me so much anxiety it is not even funny. I wish they will just say: yes, we are going on furlough, here is the info. But, they don’t know, and I understand. However, all these town halls, emails, meetings with no particular info just some, “we might be going on furlough, but we don’t know”. Just don’t. Until you know something. People asking questions that they can’t answer now, and it’s just unknown thing is driving me crazy. I think once you said that this is possible, it’s enough. Next time is when you know for sure what’s happening because we all have questions with no answers for now.

At least we have the regulations that mandate the agency notify impacted employees in advance, June 20th if you believe the rumors (not too far away!). So we'll get our answers soon. But, yes, the unknown is a killer. Everything is dependent on external funding, and the decisions are being made over the head of the offices or even the directorates. So, on one hand if Congress appropriates the money and the agency staves off financial disaster, perhaps we avoid furloughs altogether. On the other hand, if other things distract Congress or they refuse to offer any funding like they've done with USPS or if the House demands the Administration curtail its more controversial policies (e.g. MPP) in exchange for the funding, we're definitely going to be furloughed. I'm betting on the latter more than the former but we'll see.

For our worst-case scenario, here's an excerpt about the procedure for a furlough that turns into a RIF separation. (Guidance is from 2017, but I doubt it's changed since).

"10. If circumstances change and the agency is unable to recall administratively furloughed
employees at the point specified in their extended furlough notice, what additional
action is required?

A. In this situation, the agency must issue those employees new notices of either an extended
furlough or proposed RIF separation, as the situation requires. This new action must meet all
the requirements in the 5 CFR part 351 regulations (for example, 60 days advance notice)."
Mike in VT  
#340 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2020 3:06:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bros1980 Go to Quoted Post

Furlough time does not count as creditable service time. However, your Time In Grade (TIG) will be credited.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed