Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

31 Pages«<1617181920>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mike in VT  
#341 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2020 4:57:25 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: croptachi Go to Quoted Post
Notes from union call for Local 1924 (HQ/National Capital Area). (20 year agency employee, field/center/and HQ time)

1. If no congressional funding by June 20th, furlough notices will likely go out - per CBA, management needs to give 30 days notice to affected employees.
2. Furlough will follow RIF guidelines found on OPM.gov - Service Comp Date + bonus years for last three PPAs (do your own math)
3. Furlough will affect 60-70% of staff nationwide, including management - this is 60-70% reduction per directorate/office.
4. Furlough is temporary but expected to last until funding is available or FY21 starts, possibly longer.
5. Reminder to call your elected officials
6. Union leadership cautiously optimistic on the bailout - union lobbyists and union leaders meeting daily with appropriations and judiciary to explain the situation.
7. No mention of buy-outs or early retirements, yet.
8. No hiring/onboarding for the foreseeable future.

Personal thoughts based on tenure with INS/USCIS, I think that if an employee has a SCD after 2008, unfortunately they should prepare to be furloughed.

Will USCIS use Service Comp Date or USCIS EOD date?
Pumas1234  
#342 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2020 4:39:32 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Lol who cares at this point
Mike in VT  
#343 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 3:47:29 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: janathan48 Go to Quoted Post
In May, USCIS cited a projected budget shortfall and asked Congress for $1.2 billion in emergency funding. The agency said if it doesn’t get the appropriations, it will begin to furlough employees by July 20. But a Democratic aide on the House Appropriations Committee said lawmakers still have not received a formal appropriations request, so the status remains unclear.

https://www.rollcall.com...rs-in-2000-new-citizens/

"lawmakers still have not received a formal appropriations request"...

as of what date?
ISOapplicant  
#344 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 10:13:38 AM(UTC)
ISOapplicant

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
In May, USCIS cited a projected budget shortfall and asked Congress for $1.2 billion in emergency funding. The agency said if it doesn’t get the appropriations, it will begin to furlough employees by July 20. But a Democratic aide on the House Appropriations Committee said lawmakers still have not received a formal appropriations request, so the status remains unclear.

https://www.rollcall.com...rs-in-2000-new-citizens/

This does not sound promising.
bleedgreen18  
#345 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 2:05:51 PM(UTC)
bleedgreen18

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked bleedgreen18 for this useful post.
YanYan on 6/11/2020(UTC)
GreatlakesISO  
#346 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 3:55:11 PM(UTC)
GreatlakesISO

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Yeah, upper management informed us about this. From the way they were talking about it, it seems like we are for sure getting furloughed as they don't think we will get the funding in time. We are also getting a session on how to apply for unemployment. Depressing times keeps getting more depressing.

Originally Posted by: bleedgreen18 Go to Quoted Post
https://www.govexec.com/workforce/2020/06/dhs-begin-sending-furlough-notices-15000-employees-next-week/166096/

Take this with a grain of salt.

thanks 1 user thanked GreatlakesISO for this useful post.
ISOapplicant on 6/12/2020(UTC)
GIjoe  
#347 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2020 12:21:59 PM(UTC)
GIjoe

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Came across this great article, answers most of my question.

https://www.rollcall.com...-in-this-falls-election/

Been saying this for a while now. The use of Covid was a scapegoat to shutdown/slowdown the agency. This election will be a close one and we all know new naturalized citizens don’t tend to vote red
GreatlakesISO  
#348 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2020 12:39:28 PM(UTC)
GreatlakesISO

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Looks like the furlough has been pushed back to August 03rd. Hopefully, this will buy the agency enough time to get emergency funding.
daddythedonkey  
#349 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2020 3:10:03 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GIjoe Go to Quoted Post
Came across this great article, answers most of my question.

https://www.rollcall.com...-in-this-falls-election/

Been saying this for a while now. The use of Covid was a scapegoat to shutdown/slowdown the agency. This election will be a close one and we all know new naturalized citizens don’t tend to vote red

If Wuhan never happened, USCIS isn't in this position. Period. Saying the agency used it as a "scapegoat" is venturing into conspiracy theory territory.
Mike in VT  
#350 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 3:45:36 AM(UTC)

There are several things at play that will likely cause the furlough to happen...

Two things for sure: COVID-19 and the $200 million transferred from USCIS to ICE.

The President has NOT formally requested funding from the appropriations committee and until then, Congress may not consider the loan. So reaching out to our Reps and Senators will do nothing in the long run. It's on the Prez's desk right now. Sit and wait.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
ISOapplicant on 6/15/2020(UTC)
Washington Ave  
#351 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 3:59:12 PM(UTC)
Washington Ave

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
There are several things at play that will likely cause the furlough to happen...

Two things for sure: COVID-19 and the $200 million transferred from USCIS to ICE.

The President has NOT formally requested funding from the appropriations committee and until then, Congress may not consider the loan. So reaching out to our Reps and Senators will do nothing in the long run. It's on the Prez's desk right now. Sit and wait.

thanks for the news

I wonder how long this is going to take.

and I even turned down a job at DOS a few months ago.....

Moving to CN, and you can't stop me!!!
Pumas1234  
#352 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 4:05:59 PM(UTC)

Had really tasty salmon for dinner. Usually I like to use flavors from my past. Today I decided to use flavors from my future.
ISOapplicant  
#353 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 4:27:20 PM(UTC)
ISOapplicant

United States

Originally Posted by: daisy33 Go to Quoted Post

thanks for the news

Going from the headlines, I don't think employment at DOS would be any less tumultuous in the short term.

Since a formal request still has not been made, I see no reason to expect that it ever will. In that case, I think it's reasonable to expect this to continue through January.
Mike in VT  
#354 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 3:15:31 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: ISOapplicant Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: daisy33 Go to Quoted Post

thanks for the news

Going from the headlines, I don't think employment at DOS would be any less tumultuous in the short term.

Since a formal request still has not been made, I see no reason to expect that it ever will. In that case, I think it's reasonable to expect this to continue through January.

Why January specifically? Just curious.

This could go much longer than that if the Administration wishes to eliminate/ban H1B and other guest worker programs. Depending on the job you applied for at DOS, they're going to be affected too, since they handle the visa side of our work.

ISOapplicant  
#355 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 4:12:16 AM(UTC)
ISOapplicant

United States

This could go much longer than that if the Administration wishes to eliminate/ban H1B and other guest worker programs. Depending on the job you applied for at DOS, they're going to be affected too, since they handle the visa side of our work.

I have no inside information, I'm just making guesses based on the figures that have been made public. It seems to me that 5-6 months with 70% of the workforce off, and with receipts returning to near the pre-COVID levels, the agency would return to solvency by that time.

I don't think it's likely that any administration would eliminate H-1B programs. I believe those programs would be the last to be eliminated due to influence from the business community.
Mike in VT  
#356 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 5:14:36 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: ISOapplicant Go to Quoted Post

I have no inside information, I'm just making guesses based on the figures that have been made public. It seems to me that 5-6 months with 70% of the workforce off, and with receipts returning to near the pre-COVID levels, the agency would return to solvency by that time.

I don't think it's likely that any administration would eliminate H-1B programs. I believe those programs would be the last to be eliminated due to influence from the business community.

Fingers crossed - I hope you're right.
Heathersmiles844  
#357 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 3:31:56 PM(UTC)
Heathersmiles844

Antigua and Barbuda

Pumas1234  
#358 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 4:49:19 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Heathersmiles844 Go to Quoted Post
https://www.govexec.com/workforce/2020/06/more-homeland-security-employees-fear-furloughs-funding-fee-collections-drops/166199/

Glad that CBP can join in on the fun!
Eternal-Itch  
#359 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 8:16:01 AM(UTC)
Eternal-Itch

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

For what it's worth, during FOD Town hall, the ICE transfer part was pretty much denied or maybe lessened. Again, for what's it's worth :)
daddythedonkey  
#360 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:19:47 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Eternal-Itch Go to Quoted Post

For what it's worth, during FOD Town hall, the ICE transfer part was pretty much denied or maybe lessened. Again, for what's it's worth :)

They also figured it into the budget before the fiscal year started. No accounting for a pandemic.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed