Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

32 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Valen203  
#21 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2019 3:52:42 PM(UTC)
Valen203

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm knee deep in my background investigation - 5 months since submitting E-QIP. This was not the Christmas surprise I was hoping for...

Any additional news on whether this impacts asylum officers waiting for EODs to work in the Arlington, VA office, would be much appreciated.
Mukapuka  
#22 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2019 3:55:04 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
HR sent this to me when I asked about it ...

Good Morning,

The hiring freeze is due to budgetary constraints within the Office of Field Operations of USCIS. The agency is primarily funded by non-appropriated funds.
AsylumOff  
#23 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2019 4:08:40 PM(UTC)
AsylumOff

United States

Originally Posted by: Valen203 Go to Quoted Post
I'm knee deep in my background investigation - 5 months since submitting E-QIP. This was not the Christmas surprise I was hoping for...

Any additional news on whether this impacts asylum officers waiting for EODs to work in the Arlington, VA office, would be much appreciated.

Like others, I was told by HR asylum officers were not affected by the freeze. AOs are under the Refugee, Asylum, and International Operations Directorate -- and not the Field Operations Directorate which has been impacted. Unless the freeze goes USCIS-wide, I think asylum officers dodged a bullet.

Good luck to those under the Field Operations Directorate. Hopefully, it's only a temporary setback and you get to start soon.
Mukapuka  
#24 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2019 4:17:44 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

So are Service Centers OA impacted?
Mukapuka  
#25 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 6:56:29 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

I had my background check interview yesterday I mentioned the freeze and she didn’t think it was something to worry about because they wouldn’t have authorized the background check. I submitted my Equip 12/23 and interview was 1/3/20 with investigator.
I have a friend that was high up in USCIS and she said to wait til January when Congress comes back and budget is approved formally. She doesn’t think the freeze will last long and they know so.
Mukapuka  
#26 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 6:58:24 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

And it seems that the freeze only applies to Field Offices only.
imac  
#27 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 7:06:09 AM(UTC)
imac

United States

My GF had a TO back in October but not much happened until about Thanksgiving when they asked for a rescan of a form. Then the week before Christmas HR asked for another document, then Dec 26th she got that hiring freeze letter. Those actions make me think they didn't know a freeze was coming. Now the curious part is that on Jan 2, she (and her current boss!) were contacted by an investigator (who also hit up our neighbors on the 3rd). If it's a prolonged freeze, do you think they'd still be working on investigations?
Mukapuka  
#28 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 7:33:11 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

iMac. I had a hiring freeze email around same time your Gf got one and I had my background interview yesterday in person. The investigator said she didn’t think it was something to worry about because they wouldn’t have approved the investigation. Within two and some days of filling out my equip I had my background interview which is quick!
A friend of mine was high up in uscis said it’s only field offices and that I should wait for January when everyone comes back and budget is permanent. She doesn’t think this freeze is for a long time.
imac  
#29 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 9:26:48 AM(UTC)
imac

United States

Looks like I misread the dates of your interview. So at least two background investigations have been started after the freeze was announced. Hopefully that's a good sign.
KDAC  
#30 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 2:54:10 PM(UTC)
KDAC

United States

Hi, I was also told two days before Christmas that my position was freeze. Now during that time I already relocated and bought furniture and rented an apartment. My EOD was 1/6/2020, I was notified on 1/23/2019. I also rented my house and when I got the news that I didn’t have a job, they pretty much said “I am sorry “ didn’t matter that I was in another state, rented my house and that I bought furniture to the new location. Now, I have to pay almost 3000$ to break the lease, pick up the new furniture(that I don’t know what I am going to do with it) and look pay in my home state the people to not take the apartment. Anyone has any idea when the freeze will be lifted?
Kay.Kay  
#31 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 3:28:53 PM(UTC)
Kay.Kay

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think they are still doing investigations. But I am uncertain how long you all will be waiting. Don't count on this agency. This isn't their first hiring freeze.
XFed77  
#32 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 4:30:08 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KDAC Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I was also told two days before Christmas that my position was freeze. Now during that time I already relocated and bought furniture and rented an apartment. My EOD was 1/6/2020, I was notified on 1/23/2019. I also rented my house and when I got the news that I didn’t have a job, they pretty much said “I am sorry “ didn’t matter that I was in another state, rented my house and that I bought furniture to the new location. Now, I have to pay almost 3000$ to break the lease, pick up the new furniture(that I don’t know what I am going to do with it) and look pay in my home state the people to not take the apartment. Anyone has any idea when the freeze will be lifted?

Hi,

Could you find some type of job in the state where you are living now so that you don't have to break the lease, you don't have to sell your furniture, don't have to go back home, and you will be there when the freeze is over?

It might be a temporary solution, an idea...

XFed77  
#33 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 4:38:11 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: imac Go to Quoted Post
Looks like I misread the dates of your interview. So at least two background investigations have been started after the freeze was announced. Hopefully that's a good sign.

Could it be that the source of funds that pay for background investigations is different from the source which is under the hiring freeze?

Mukapuka  
#34 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 5:12:03 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

I was told by someone familiar with the agency that this could be political to create a backlog in applications to raise the price on all applications. They will justify it as we have a backlog we need to raise the application fees to hire more people.
We are just pawns.
athena79  
#35 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 5:36:23 PM(UTC)
athena79

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Historically, does anyone know how long the freeze may last? Also, as it seems only the field offices are affected, would it be possible for our application to be sent to a service center instead (as it seems as they are not impacted)? A previous agency I worked for had done something similar if the position was the same or at a lower grade.
Mukapuka  
#36 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 5:46:54 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

I had a job interview for a service center and have not heard from them after they requested references.
I read someone else on here received the hiring freeze and they applied for a service center. This is all so confusing and frustrating. At work they are asking me when I am leaving and I am being treated different now. Ughhhhhhh !
Mukapuka  
#37 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 5:47:30 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

I accepted a job offer for a field office
someoldguy  
#38 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 5:53:05 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1010 time(s) in 854 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
I accepted a job offer for a field office
Was this a conditional job offer where you then start the clearance process, or a final job offer with a start date?

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Mukapuka  
#39 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 6:07:36 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Sorry. I accepted a tentative offer the day before Thanksgiving for field office. I had my background interview January 3rd.
I did receive the hiring freeze email prior to the background interview.
I am not sure as to what happens next.
thanks 1 user thanked Mukapuka for this useful post.
someoldguy on 1/10/2020(UTC)
Kairo  
#40 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2020 12:29:25 AM(UTC)
Kairo

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I work at a service center and we haven’t been getting any new employees lately and I know we are in need of employees. Mac - private investigators are contractors that are hired by USCIS to do background checks so I don’t see them getting affected. But I really hope everyone the best!! Just hang on there!!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed