Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

30 Pages«<2627282930>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
oujosh29  
#541 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 6:18:24 AM(UTC)
oujosh29

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: specializedRB Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TheCaliGirl Go to Quoted Post
I checked and received a referral notice for ISO 2 today.

Congratulations!

Did you receive your referral notice through an email, or did you check through their monster dashboard?

Thanks, I checked my application status through the monster dashboard. I guess they do not send emails anymore? I haven’t been getting them through email at least.

Thank you! I did not realize that they no longer send out emails.
Do you have any idea when they will start sending out emails for essays or interviews for the ISO 1 position that opened up in early June?

Wish I knew, but I really have no idea. Federal hiring is slow, so once you hit a step in the process, it’s best to just forget about it and think about it again once you get to the next step. Easier said than done, I know!

HOWEVER, the posting did say offers would be made within 90 days of the closing date, so you at least have that to gauge remaining time.

That "within 90 days" is standard language that means nothing. A "quick" hire would be within 6 months.
Mike in VT  
#542 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:05:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Washington Ave Go to Quoted Post

Glad you received a referral.

All I got was:

"You were not among the most highly qualified candidates based on your self-rating of your qualifications."

Even though they have my SF-50 attached, that says ISA, ISO1 and ISO2...

Kind of glad I left the agency. Now, I don't think that I want to come back.

How goes it? Regarding the self-rating...the SF50 will not have an effect on that. The SF50 is only there to prove you qualify to apply for a particular posting that is for merit promotions or for a particular grade level.

Mike in VT  
#543 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:07:31 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: oujosh29 Go to Quoted Post

All I got was:

"You were not among the most highly qualified candidates based on your self-rating of your qualifications."

It's just crazy competitive right now since so many are wanting to get in on the remote working coming up. I know a bunch of people at USCIS who applied for ISO 1, 2 & 3 positions for jobs they are already doing. Not a single one was referred. I got achieved excellence and a bunch of stuff for 2020, but I didn't get referred to anything I applied for.

USCIS will probably be a real pain to get into/get promoted for a while. Feds from all over are taking pay cuts to get in.

Hello there. Can you explain what you mean by, "a bunch of people at USCIS ...applied for ISO 1/2/3 positions for jobs they already have"? Why are they applying for jobs they already have? Do you mean jobs at other centers/field offices?

Mike in VT  
#544 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:09:36 AM(UTC)

Congratulations!

Did you receive your referral notice through an email, or did you check through their monster dashboard?

Thanks, I checked my application status through the monster dashboard. I guess they do not send emails anymore? I haven’t been getting them through email at least.

Do you have any idea when they will start sending out emails for essays or interviews for the ISO 1 position that opened up in early June?

I do know that on the public ISO1 announcement from June, they've already had essay and interviews. Not sure if it's the same one you're referring to. Was it the one that had an application cap (aka limit)
specializedRB  
#545 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:17:02 AM(UTC)
specializedRB

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post

Congratulations!

I do know that on the public ISO1 announcement from June, they've already had essay and interviews. Not sure if it's the same one you're referring to. Was it the one that had an application cap (aka limit)

Do you know how soon essay and interview emails went out after the referral notices? Assuming it’ll be the same for the ISO 2. Thanks.
WasteAbalone  
#546 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:31:29 AM(UTC)
WasteAbalone

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Congratulations!

Aw darn, that was the posting that I was referring to. They already sent out all the emails for all the service centers?
JDSIII  
#547 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 12:06:03 PM(UTC)
JDSIII

Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I don't feel so bad about not getting referred now. I received an "out of the zone of consideration" message.
oujosh29  
#548 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 6:13:25 PM(UTC)
oujosh29

United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)

All I got was:

It's just crazy competitive right now since so many are wanting to get in on the remote working coming up. I know a bunch of people at USCIS who applied for ISO 1, 2 & 3 positions for jobs they are already doing. Not a single one was referred. I got achieved excellence and a bunch of stuff for 2020, but I didn't get referred to anything I applied for.

USCIS will probably be a real pain to get into/get promoted for a while. Feds from all over are taking pay cuts to get in.

Hello there. Can you explain what you mean by, "a bunch of people at USCIS ...applied for ISO 1/2/3 positions for jobs they already have"? Why are they applying for jobs they already have? Do you mean jobs at other centers/field offices?

Jobs they are already doing. ISO 1s applied for ISO 2 jobs on the same team who would work the same form they've been working. Same for ISO 2s for the ISO 3 jobs.
Bros1980  
#549 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 5:20:38 AM(UTC)
Bros1980

If current ISO's are not being referred or selected, than who is?

What type of applicants are moving forward in the process?
Mike in VT  
#550 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 5:38:35 AM(UTC)

Congratulations!

Do you know how soon essay and interview emails went out after the referral notices? Assuming it’ll be the same for the ISO 2. Thanks.

I believe the interviews were held last week for that announcement.

Mike in VT  
#551 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 5:40:49 AM(UTC)

Congratulations!

Aw darn, that was the posting that I was referring to. They already sent out all the emails for all the service centers?

can't speak for all the centers. but they would be under the same time constraints.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
WasteAbalone on 7/21/2021(UTC)
Mike in VT  
#552 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 5:44:17 AM(UTC)

All I got was:

Jobs they are already doing. ISO 1s applied for ISO 2 jobs on the same team who would work the same form they've been working. Same for ISO 2s for the ISO 3 jobs.

Oh i see. I get how someone would say ISO1s should be shoe-ins for the ISO2, but the jump from ISO2 to ISO3 is very different. Hard to get the ISO3 position. It comes down to how well someone answers the self-assessment questions and how well they perform on the subsequent process (i.e. essays, interview, etc.)

Mike in VT  
#553 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 5:49:18 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Bros1980 Go to Quoted Post
If current ISO's are not being referred or selected, than who is?

What type of applicants are moving forward in the process?

It's most often ISO1s are selected for ISO2s, but like I said in a previous post, it comes down to how well you do with the application process. You will be compared to other applicants with your self-assessment questions, essays and interview. All have scoring methodology.
specializedRB  
#554 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2021 7:43:47 AM(UTC)
specializedRB

United States

For current or prior ISO 2’s, when SCOPS did many vacancy ISO 2 posting, any clue on how many were selected/promoted? Is the essay for ISO 1 & 2 similar?
Mike in VT  
#555 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2021 6:11:04 AM(UTC)

For current or prior ISO 2’s, when SCOPS did many vacancy ISO 2 posting, any clue on how many were selected/promoted? Is the essay for ISO 1 & 2 similar?

"Many vacanies" can mean many things. It depends on the current staffing levels at a particular agency. VSC could have 20 openings, while Texas could have 8, etc.

Essays always seemed similar to me. Maybe a different topic, but required structure was always the same.
specializedRB  
#556 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2021 6:13:04 AM(UTC)
specializedRB

United States

"Many vacanies" can mean many things. It depends on the current staffing levels at a particular agency. VSC could have 20 openings, while Texas could have 8, etc.

Essays always seemed similar to me. Maybe a different topic, but required structure was always the same.

Thanks, Mike! You’re very helpful within this forum.
Mixedchix86  
#557 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 5:11:45 AM(UTC)
Mixedchix86

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Anyone know when the TSC will start conducting interviews for ISO 2 internal announcement that closed early this month?
“When one’s expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have.” – Stephen Hawking

Kairo  
#558 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 9:28:22 PM(UTC)
Kairo

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mixedchix86 Go to Quoted Post
Anyone know when the TSC will start conducting interviews for ISO 2 internal announcement that closed early this month?

I am also wondering the same thing. I got referred a few weeks ago and haven’t received any emails regarding an interview yet.
Akash32  
#559 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2021 7:47:38 AM(UTC)
Akash32

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It kind of sucks that people who got offers rescinded wouldnt be able to get back in. I had gone through the whole process and was a class start date away before Covid and now when i reapplied, i didnt get referred. Did the same place as well, Vermont. Oh well, God has his ways. Best of luck to the new ISO's🙏
thanks 1 user thanked Akash32 for this useful post.
@TheBADGUY on 8/7/2021(UTC)
Apollo1990  
#560 Posted : Sunday, August 8, 2021 8:04:24 AM(UTC)
Apollo1990

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kairo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mixedchix86 Go to Quoted Post

I am also wondering the same thing. I got referred a few weeks ago and haven’t received any emails regarding an interview yet.

I also applied for the ISO 2 internal announcement for the TSC and got best qualified/referred. Someone told me that TSC started sending out interview emails on Thursday, August 5th. My heart sank a little when I heard that and didn't receive an email...I'm hoping they are sending them out in waves, and maybe me and many others still have a shot with getting an email next week.

Best of luck!

Edited by user Sunday, August 8, 2021 8:06:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed