Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

32 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kay.Kay  
#41 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2020 4:12:14 PM(UTC)
Kay.Kay

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kairo Go to Quoted Post
I work at a service center and we haven’t been getting any new employees lately and I know we are in need of employees. Mac - private investigators are contractors that are hired by USCIS to do background checks so I don’t see them getting affected. But I really hope everyone the best!! Just hang on there!!

I can see that people won't accept the offer if they do remove the freeze.
Mukapuka  
#42 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 6:18:51 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Okay everyone. After lots of research. I think I know why this freeze is going on. The funds that USCIS got are mostly being diverted to CBP. The Administration wants to put their effort in stopping at the border rather than helping people be processed to stay. They rather less people apply for benefits. The fees for all applications are about to go up this year. The fees are going to be extremely high. They want to create a backlog to prevent people from applying.
To justify the fee hike they will say that there is a backlog. Most of the fee revenue will be used to pay for the wall and border protection.
athena79  
#43 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 7:48:37 AM(UTC)
athena79

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
Okay everyone. After lots of research. I think I know why this freeze is going on. The funds that USCIS got are mostly being diverted to CBP. The Administration wants to put their effort in stopping at the border rather than helping people be processed to stay. They rather less people apply for benefits. The fees for all applications are about to go up this year. The fees are going to be extremely high. They want to create a backlog to prevent people from applying.
To justify the fee hike they will say that there is a backlog. Most of the fee revenue will be used to pay for the wall and border protection.

Thanks for the information!
Mukapuka  
#44 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 4:43:46 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

A service center called my supervisor for reference today.
I have turned in all required paperwork for the tentative offer I accepted with the field office.

I wonder if my background check and paperwork submitted for the field office can be used for the service center. It’s the same agency. Anyone know?
Mukapuka  
#45 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 4:45:07 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Pumas I turned down a services assistant for Asylum today.
Pumas1234  
#46 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 4:52:48 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Pumas I turned down a services assistant for Asylum today.
What about your FO offer?

Mukapuka  
#47 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 5:11:20 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

I worked to hard to walk away lol
Hopefully the service center sends me a tentative offer. I will definitely turn the field office down then.
Pumas1234  
#48 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 5:33:09 PM(UTC)

I worked to hard to walk away lol
Hopefully the service center sends me a tentative offer. I will definitely turn the field office down then.
me too : /. Just hope they make a move on it before too long.

@TheBADGUY  
#49 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 10:46:44 PM(UTC)
@TheBADGUY

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hello Everyone,

I accepted my TO in August and was set to begin 01/06/2020, however like many of you I received a notification about a hiring freeze on December 23rd. Very disappointing, I hope they resolve this ASAP, I had been applying for ISO for quite sometime and first time I accepted the job my offer was rescinded in 2018. I hope this is just a freeze and nothing more. I'll keep everyone updated as I'm constantly emailing HR.
Kay.Kay  
#50 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 12:26:02 AM(UTC)
Kay.Kay

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Rumor has it they will be calling people in 45 days?

Idk how true this is?

They are continuing with investigations. That is contracted work.
athena79  
#51 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 7:01:01 AM(UTC)
athena79

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: @TheBADGUY Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everyone,

I accepted my TO in August and was set to begin 01/06/2020, however like many of you I received a notification about a hiring freeze on December 23rd. Very disappointing, I hope they resolve this ASAP, I had been applying for ISO for quite sometime and first time I accepted the job my offer was rescinded in 2018. I hope this is just a freeze and nothing more. I'll keep everyone updated as I'm constantly emailing HR.

If you don't mind me asking, why was your offer rescinded in 2018? Was it because of a freeze as well?
Pumas1234  
#52 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 6:27:31 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Kay.Kay Go to Quoted Post
Rumor has it they will be calling people in 45 days?

Idk how true this is?

They are continuing with investigations. That is contracted work.

Can you explain what you mean by this???
Also, who is your source?
Mukapuka  
#53 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 6:28:53 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Thank you for asking. I want to know where she heard the 45 day rumor.

The freeze started December 23, 2019
Megs2693  
#54 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 5:31:05 AM(UTC)
Megs2693

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Anyone who is seeing movement on their background investigation - those are done by outside contractors, not USCIS. So just because you're getting phone calls or background interviews does not mean you're getting closer to a start date unfortunately.
Mukapuka  
#55 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 5:38:37 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

That’s true. In the last two weeks all my background interviews and paperwork is done. My background investigator did mention that I shouldn’t worry about the freeze because uscis wouldn’t have allowed the investigation to start since they have to pay 💰 money for it.
I am waiting for a start date. When ever that will be. Sigh 😔
Megs2693  
#56 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 5:40:23 AM(UTC)
Megs2693

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hello Everyone,

Was your TO for a field office or service center? The freeze affects both, I'm just curious. For what it's worth, the ISO position is worth the wait and frustration in the end. You received your 1/6 EOD before the freeze so that is a good thing. The position is being held for you and the hard part is over, just need to hold on for that start date. I work as an ISO at a service center and absolutely LOVE it. Hang in there!
thanks 1 user thanked Megs2693 for this useful post.
@TheBADGUY on 1/19/2020(UTC)
XFed77  
#57 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 7:24:17 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Megs2693 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everyone,

Was your TO for a field office or service center? The freeze affects both, I'm just curious. For what it's worth, the ISO position is worth the wait and frustration in the end. You received your 1/6 EOD before the freeze so that is a good thing. The position is being held for you and the hard part is over, just need to hold on for that start date. I work as an ISO at a service center and absolutely LOVE it. Hang in there!

Hi Megs,

Do you have an idea or heard anything about the approximate time the freeze might last? 1 month, 3 or 6?

Thanks

Gopeder  
#58 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 12:03:33 PM(UTC)
Gopeder

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I know someone (career employee) who EOD at one of the CIS service centers in Vermont on 01/05/2020. Have patience, try to keep a positive mind set, and hang in there. There is always a hurry up and wait with the government. They gave the person two dates to work with. All enter on duty (EOD) dates are 2 weeks apart because it is easier to have someone come on board at the beginning of a pay period.
@TheBADGUY  
#59 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 10:05:18 PM(UTC)
@TheBADGUY

United States

Originally Posted by: athena79 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everyone,

If you don't mind me asking, why was your offer rescinded in 2018? Was it because of a freeze as well?

It was due to me not being a Federal employee at that time, I had just quit my job as I moved out of state, however I applied because it was open to the public but they processed my paperwork as a current federal employee so a lot of issues and confusion.
thanks 1 user thanked @TheBADGUY for this useful post.
athena79 on 1/20/2020(UTC)
@TheBADGUY  
#60 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 10:08:06 PM(UTC)
@TheBADGUY

United States

Originally Posted by: Megs2693 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everyone,

Thanks, I definitely know it's worth the wait, my current TO was for a Field office. If you don't mind me asking, what is the difference from a Field Office to Service Center?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed