Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

32 Pages«<29303132>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CalKent  
#601 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2021 9:58:02 PM(UTC)
CalKent

Groups: Registered
United States

It looks as I have an interview for an ISO position coming up. Could anyone give me an idea of what kind of questions I should expect out of this?
XFed77  
#602 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2021 2:20:36 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)

Anyone here apply for the ISO 1, Mass hiring, at NBC, Lee's Summit/Overland Park that opened & closed on 08/30/2021?

The announcement stated that it would close after the first 200 received and it closed the same day...

A couple of weeks after it closed I checked the "Track this application" feature and I made BQ/Referred, but never received the email with the Referral...hmmm.

I have read here about others finding out they were Selected for other ISO positions the same way and not getting emails first.

They used to be better at that. They're probably swamped with mass hirings and short on personnel.

Hopefully things get smoother/better.

CalKent  
#603 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2021 10:42:32 PM(UTC)
CalKent

United States

I'm lined up for an interview in Chicago for an ISO position but they seem to be delaying the interview date. Does anyone know if this is because of the budget/debt ceiling issues in Congress?
Edfaka  
#604 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2021 4:47:45 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I don't think so. USCIS is self funded.
CalKent  
#605 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2021 11:06:17 AM(UTC)
CalKent

United States

Originally Posted by: Edfaka Go to Quoted Post

Ah I see, thank you. Then I wonder what the cause for the delay could be. They may have simply not selected me, but if they asked for references and told me of the tentative week for interviews, I would hope I'd at least get to the interview. =/
XFed77  
#606 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2021 11:28:19 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: CalKent Go to Quoted Post

Ah I see, thank you. Then I wonder what the cause for the delay could be. They may have simply not selected me, but if they asked for references and told me of the tentative week for interviews, I would hope I'd at least get to the interview. =/

So they asked for references before the interview? Hmmm

Do you know if they've already checked them?

I've interviewed and been hired for different positions/agencies with the Federal Government and my experience has been that they've asked for references after the interview, when they had decided to select me.

Curious to know,

Thanks!
CalKent  
#607 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2021 12:07:02 PM(UTC)
CalKent

United States

Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post

I've interviewed and been hired for different positions/agencies with the Federal Government and my experience has been that they've asked for references after the interview, when they had decided to select me.

Curious to know,

Thanks!

Last I checked my references haven't been contacted yet. I'm a bit puzzled at the timeline/order of things as well. My fear is that this isn't a delay, but that they've simply decided to pass me over even without the interview.
XFed77  
#608 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2021 4:05:25 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Curious to know,

Thanks!

Last I checked my references haven't been contacted yet. I'm a bit puzzled at the timeline/order of things as well. My fear is that this isn't a delay, but that they've simply decided to pass me over even without the interview.

If they haven't checked your references, and haven't interviewed you, there seems to be no information/reason to pass you over unless they decide to cancel the announcement.

I would check with the source that asked for your references/informed you about the interviews in a week or two to see if they have made their selections.

Best of luck!
XFed77  
#609 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2021 10:25:31 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Anyone here apply for the ISO 1, Mass hiring, at NBC, Lee's Summit/Overland Park that opened & closed on 08/30/2021?

The announcement stated that it would close after the first 200 received and it closed the same day...

A couple of weeks after it closed I checked the "Track this application" feature and I made BQ/Referred, but never received the email with the Referral...hmmm.

I have read here about others finding out they were Selected for other ISO positions the same way and not getting emails first.

They used to be better at that. They're probably swamped with mass hirings and short on personnel.

Hopefully things get smoother/better.

Just received notification for the Writing Assessment later this week for this position.

I'm glad the hiring process is moving along.

Edfaka  
#610 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2021 10:27:18 AM(UTC)

Good luck!
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
XFed77 on 10/19/2021(UTC)
XFed77  
#611 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2021 10:35:28 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Good luck!

Thank You!

I had applied for that job 10/2019, did the assessment, was in hiring process, and then came the Hiring Freeze.

Now that the hiring freeze is over, I have just received a Tentative Offer for more pay at another Agency.

Decisions, decisions, that is life.

RIPTikiCat  
#612 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 9:21:52 AM(UTC)
RIPTikiCat

Good luck!

Thank You!

I had applied for that job 10/2019, did the assessment, was in hiring process, and then came the Hiring Freeze.

Now that the hiring freeze is over, I have just received a Tentative Offer for more pay at another Agency.

I also just did the writing assessment for this position at the NBC a few days ago! Curious to know when/if I'll hear anything else.("hurry up and wait", as they say I guess) I started lurking this site when I first saw my application was referred but decided to register.
XFed77  
#613 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 2:05:09 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: RIPTikiCat Go to Quoted Post
Good luck!

Thank You!

I also just did the writing assessment for this position at the NBC a few days ago! Curious to know when/if I'll hear anything else.("hurry up and wait", as they say I guess) I started lurking this site when I first saw my application was referred but decided to register.

Just as a reference, before Covid-19, the rule with USCIS was that HR normally had 30 days to take actions but could be extended to 45 days if needed. What I'm talking about is, that if the application closed 8/30, you would usually see your qualifications decision/referral emails by 9/30. Rare times it would go to 45 days. USCIS was pretty effective at that, and the IRS also (if you qualified or were referred, but if you were not, sometimes you would never know). I have seen that time limit be blown away in the last year, with some federal jobs taking, 60, 90, or more days for actions to occur. So, pre-COVID-19, after the referral, you would count 30 more days to get an interview after the referral and "bang!", the interview was at or before the 30 days. Now, it's more unpredictable. They are swamped with work, less employees and working remotely.

Also, you don't see that many actual emails of referrals sent to you because that would mean that you can follow the email date. Now you have to go into the "track this application" and you can see that you were referred, but there is no date. So, you are somewhat unaware of when exactly you were referred or not referred unless you are checking every day and write down the date that you were referred. I guess they are allowing themselves more time because of the circumstances. That is what I see now.

Anyway, I hope things go back to normal somewhat and this process with the NBC doesn't take that long.

Good luck to you and all!

RIPTikiCat  
#614 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 2:29:20 PM(UTC)
RIPTikiCat

Good luck!

Thank You!

Just as a reference, before Covid-19, the rule with USCIS was that HR normally had 30 days to take actions but could be extended to 45 days if needed. What I'm talking about is, that if the application closed 8/30, you would usually see your qualifications decision/referral emails by 9/30. Rare times it would go to 45 days. USCIS was pretty effective at that, and the IRS also (if you qualified or were referred, but if you were not, sometimes you would never know). I have seen that time limit be blown away in the last year, with some federal jobs taking, 60, 90, or more days for actions to occur. So, pre-COVID-19, after the referral, you would count 30 more days to get an interview after the referral and "bang!", the interview was at or before the 30 days. Now, it's more unpredictable. They are swamped with work, less employees and working remotely.

Also, you don't see that many actual emails of referrals sent to you because that would mean that you can follow the email date. Now you have to go into the "track this application" and you can see that you were referred, but there is no date. So, you are somewhat unaware of when exactly you were referred or not referred unless you are checking every day and write down the date that you were referred. I guess they are allowing themselves more time because of the circumstances. That is what I see now.

Anyway, I hope things go back to normal somewhat and this process with the NBC doesn't take that long.

Good luck to you as well! Be it with that position or with another agency! I am actually a contractor at the NBC currently. A few months back I applied for the ISO-1 at the CSC but had already renewed my lease by the time they contacted me about their written assessment. But that was the case for me with that as well with the CSC-- as in seeing I referred 30 days later. I didn't get a referral email with this job posting but I checked almost daily and saw it said referred on 9/13 (which I was absolutely blown away by). Seems like they are trying to hit the ground running with the hiring process.
XFed77  
#615 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 3:04:37 PM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Good luck!

Thank You!

Good luck to you as well! Be it with that position or with another agency! I am actually a contractor at the NBC currently. A few months back I applied for the ISO-1 at the CSC but had already renewed my lease by the time they contacted me about their written assessment. But that was the case for me with that as well with the CSC-- as in seeing I referred 30 days later. I didn't get a referral email with this job posting but I checked almost daily and saw it said referred on 9/13 (which I was absolutely blown away by). Seems like they are trying to hit the ground running with the hiring process.

Good thing that you are keeping track!

For your peace of mind, I have a friend who applied for the CSC, he lives in San Bernardino CA, and hasn't been notified of an interview or knows anyone that has as of today, unless he and none of his friends made it. I've heard that sometimes a Service Center won't do interviews in Mass hirings. I have seen that with other federal agencies during this Pandemic. I received a couple of Tentative Offers without interviews or even assessments.

I lived in the Overland Park area but relocated a few months ago. I am betting that by the time this pans out if I'm hired, I can move back there if I am offered and decide to take it. Hopefully would get to work in Overland Park. It is just a great area to live, (for me). Consistently coming out as one of the best places to live in the US. Not that crowded compared to other cities, relatively pretty city, taxes are relatively low, people are not that bad, and there are areas around it in which houses are affordable.

I have received a TO for a position with another Agency and waiting for the Final Offer to see what step they're gonna give me and that would sway me to stay here if I get what I asked. Otherwise, heading to OP if hired over there. Mine is probably a different situation than yours, I have been a federal employee for a few years and now looking to settle down and to get the highest pay I can. If you're new with the federal government that area is not a bad place to start. The ISO work in a Service Center is so much better than working in a Field Office. I've done both. In the service center you are pretty much adjudicating cases all day and have a quota, but after a while, you pick up the speed and reach your numbers. I bet you've seen and know something about that since you're a contractor there. You can have flexible schedules in which you can pretty much manage your time and they days you work.

I've been to Laguna Niguel and the area surrounding it is dreamy. Laguna Hills and the beach cities... Beautiful, great weather, beaches, lots of places to go, people to see, but expensive. Maybe a good place to go after you're in USCIS for a little while have promoted to higher grades. Your pay will go up in California because the locality pay is higher and housing more expensive. There are cheaper areas about 20 to 40 miles away. The travel can be offset by working from home.

When I worked at the Service Center there were contractors there bringing us new cases that we ordered who were very professional, friendly and helpful. Anyway, wish you the best, keep me posted!

RIPTikiCat  
#616 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 3:55:16 PM(UTC)
RIPTikiCat

Good luck!

Thank You!

Good thing that you are keeping track!

For your peace of mind, I have a friend who applied for the CSC, he lives in San Bernardino CA, and hasn't been notified of an interview or knows anyone that has as of today, unless he and none of his friends made it. I've heard that sometimes a Service Center won't do interviews in Mass hirings. I have seen that with other federal agencies during this Pandemic. I received a couple of Tentative Offers without interviews or even assessments.

I lived in the Overland Park area but relocated a few months ago. I am betting that by the time this pans out if I'm hired, I can move back there if I am offered and decide to take it. Hopefully would get to work in Overland Park. It is just a great area to live, (for me). Consistently coming out as one of the best places to live in the US. Not that crowded compared to other cities, relatively pretty city, taxes are relatively low, people are not that bad, and there are areas around it in which houses are affordable.

I have received a TO for a position with another Agency and waiting for the Final Offer to see what step they're gonna give me and that would sway me to stay here if I get what I asked. Otherwise, heading to OP if hired over there. Mine is probably a different situation than yours, I have been a federal employee for a few years and now looking to settle down and to get the highest pay I can. If you're new with the federal government that area is not a bad place to start. The ISO work in a Service Center is so much better than working in a Field Office. I've done both. In the service center you are pretty much adjudicating cases all day and have a quota, but after a while, you pick up the speed and reach your numbers. I bet you've seen and know something about that since you're a contractor there. You can have flexible schedules in which you can pretty much manage your time and they days you work.

I've been to Laguna Niguel and the area surrounding it is dreamy. Laguna Hills and the beach cities... Beautiful, great weather, beaches, lots of places to go, people to see, but expensive. Maybe a good place to go after you're in USCIS for a little while have promoted to higher grades. Your pay will go up in California because the locality pay is higher and housing more expensive. There are cheaper areas about 20 to 40 miles away. The travel can be offset by working from home.

When I worked at the Service Center there were contractors there bringing us new cases that we ordered who were very professional, friendly and helpful. Anyway, wish you the best, keep me posted!

Haha! well in addition to just renewing my lease, I am actually more partial to living in the midwest. I like seasons too much. It seemed kinda silly to apply to that position if I didn’t have a real desire to leave but it worked out well. At least after doing that I didn’t have to worry about that initial assessment for the NBC position since I had just taken a few months prior.

You’re right! OP is a nice place. I currently live on the Missouri side, sort of my preference. I wouldn’t mind living in OP though. It is surprisingly affordable, especially compared to LS. I have worked at both the OP and LS sites.

I started as a contractor at the NBC shortly after graduating college and getting my bachelor’s. That was nearly 4 years ago. I really enjoy it here. I’ve bounced around promotions but I am in more of a support role as opposed to production. I have been interested in transferring to the federal side for a while now but alas, Covid. The contract side has been complete chaos for a year now. All started when they laid off around 70% (maybe more) of the contract staff in August 2020. Many of them were able to return at the beginning of the year but it’s still pretty wonky. It would be nice to have a little bit of stability, haha.

I wish you the best as well. Thank you for all the info! Much appreciated.
WasteAbalone  
#617 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2021 5:35:32 AM(UTC)
WasteAbalone

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Anybody have any updates or information on ISO 1 at Laguna Niguel? It’s going on 2 months since the Writing Assessment and references were contacted.
specializedRB  
#618 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 5:54:33 AM(UTC)
specializedRB

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WasteAbalone Go to Quoted Post
Anybody have any updates or information on ISO 1 at Laguna Niguel? It’s going on 2 months since the Writing Assessment and references were contacted.

Not CSC specific; however, interviews at the VSC were conducted months ago and still nothing.
XFed77  
#619 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 10:58:57 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: specializedRB Go to Quoted Post

Not CSC specific; however, interviews at the VSC were conducted months ago and still nothing.

I know that some federal agencies are waiting to see what happens with the continuing resolution that ends on 12/03 to continue the hiring process because of the gridlock in Congress.

They don't want to schedule hiring actions and then see a possible Government Shutdown like it happened during the end of 2018/beginning of 2019, interfere with their plans.

Following that concern I know of a federal agency that is not USCIS that scheduled start dates for new employees on 11/08/2021 and 01/03/2022, avoiding December altogether because of the continuing resolution concern and also because December is Holiday season and many human resources employees are on vacation or out the whole month with use or lose.

I'm a federal employee waiting for an ISO position so I'm thinking the next EODs for the POD I'm applying for will be January 2022 and thereafter.

Edited by user Friday, November 5, 2021 12:42:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WasteAbalone  
#620 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 1:58:56 PM(UTC)
WasteAbalone

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: specializedRB Go to Quoted Post

I know that some federal agencies are waiting to see what happens with the continuing resolution that ends on 12/03 to continue the hiring process because of the gridlock in Congress.

They don't want to schedule hiring actions and then see a possible Government Shutdown like it happened during the end of 2018/beginning of 2019, interfere with their plans.

Following that concern I know of a federal agency that is not USCIS that scheduled start dates for new employees on 11/08/2021 and 01/03/2022, avoiding December altogether because of the continuing resolution concern and also because December is Holiday season and many human resources employees are on vacation or out the whole month with use or lose.

I'm a federal employee waiting for an ISO position so I'm thinking the next EODs for the POD I'm applying for will be January 2022 and thereafter.

I hope the potential shutdown is the reason for the delay. I was starting to wonder if I just wasn’t selected for the position as it’s already going on 2 months since my references were contacted and I know USCIS is fee funded.

I’m also a current fed with another agency, and management at my office has started preparing for a possible shutdown in December as well.

Good luck to everyone who applied and I hope we all hear back sooner than later.

Edited by user Friday, November 5, 2021 2:00:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed