Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
julioh00  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 1:29:19 AM(UTC)
julioh00

Groups: Registered

Unclaimed mail, does the system detect if there might be a forward on file or does the unclaimed mail automatically gets return to the sender?
Seadogg  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 6:16:48 AM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 583 time(s) in 393 post(s)
What is unclaimed mail?
7monthsofwinter  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 9:39:18 AM(UTC)
7monthsofwinter

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
As far as I understand, unclaimed mail is any mail that has a notice left for it that is not picked up in a certain timeframe. A lot of certified letters are returned as unclaimed. Regular mail would be returned as unclaimed if a resident didn't get their mail for a long time and the box got full. That mail gets pulled and a notice is left for them to pick up the mail bundle at the post office. I doubt mail returned as unclaimed gets checked for a forward unless it gets sent through with other forwardable mail. Like ank mail doesn't get checked, it just gets returned. Same thing, but I'm not 100% sure. I am 100% sure someone here will jump at the opportunity to correct me if any of the above is incorrect.
thanks 1 user thanked 7monthsofwinter for this useful post.
julioh00 on 1/16/2020(UTC)
Yukoncarrier24  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 9:44:20 AM(UTC)
Yukoncarrier24

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Well before you submit it unclaimed (UNC), check for a forward
thanks 1 user thanked Yukoncarrier24 for this useful post.
Lady1934 on 1/16/2020(UTC)
Hannah Blecter  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 9:46:00 AM(UTC)
Your NBA

Was thanked: 1311 time(s) in 900 post(s)
I think you are on to what the OP is asking. However, the OP needs to clarify what situation exists and ask a more precise question.

In my office, we are not permitted time or records to see if there are forwards in the system. So some carriers return mail that is forwardable and some try to forward mail that is not forwardable. Then, when CFS sends the supposed COA mail back with a yellow sticker saying there is no COA, they return it as UTF. For these and many other good reasons, our customers complain about our poor service.

The machine can only detect COAs if it is so programmed. Mail that is being returned should not be running through a machine programmed to detect forwards.

Edited by user Monday, January 6, 2020 9:47:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Your NBA for this useful post.
MPE2009 on 1/6/2020(UTC), julioh00 on 1/16/2020(UTC)
baxter0  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 5:24:23 PM(UTC)
baxter0

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
If you're the regular on the route then you should know all of the forwards.

The problem is vacant routes that get split up every day, I cringe at the service the people on those routes get.
thanks 1 user thanked baxter0 for this useful post.
MPE2009  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 5:34:22 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 516 time(s) in 402 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blecter Go to Quoted Post
I think you are on to what the OP is asking. However, the OP needs to clarify what situation exists and ask a more precise question.

It would help to understand exactly what the OP is talking about. The local postalspeak varies so much from office to office along with other variables, which make many of the questions here difficult to comprehend without more explanation and background.
baxter0  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 5:42:10 PM(UTC)
baxter0

United States

He's obviously asking about the carrier mark-up. Is the mail processed the same as if it were a UTF or ANK, etc. that is his question.
Hannah Blecter  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 7:12:43 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

Originally Posted by: baxter0 Go to Quoted Post

The problem is vacant routes that get split up every day, I cringe at the service the people on those routes get.

Agreed. As a T-6 in an office where only a handful of carriers keep their route up to date and where there are only a few months of pink cards allowed and no time to study, there is no way I can know them. But the regular certainly should. I have been the T-6 on 15 routes. I never had more than 2 carriers on any swing who knew or cared to know their COAs. On one route I got so tired of taking out junk mail to vacant houses that one day I determined I would just leave the crap in the mailboxes if the carrier would not even mark the vacants in the case. Well, he got me good. One house had been torn down for many months and there was no mailbox. So I had to take the mail back with me. If the regular cares, I care. I am not going to do their work for them. And I am not going to take 100 notes with lists of UTF names on them because a carrier refuses to fill out MLNAs. One carrier returns mail addressed to active businesses and tries to forward mail for businesses that have been closed for over 2 years.
postalvet  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 7:58:48 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2934 time(s) in 2325 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

It would help to understand exactly what the OP is talking about. The local postalspeak varies so much from office to office along with other variables, which make many of the questions here difficult to comprehend without more explanation and background.

I refer people here to see all the different postal abbreviations.

http://www.quine.org/uspsglos.html
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Hannah Blecter  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 9:07:58 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

I refer people here to see all the different postal abbreviations.

http://www.quine.org/uspsglos.html

Now, that is really confusing.

It does claim to be a list of abbreviations. But that is not what I saw.
colty31  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 8:11:27 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 80 post(s)
UNC mail just gets returned to sender.

I love filling out MLNAs, I've had to do over 50 of them since taking over my new route.
Enigma  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 2:56:36 PM(UTC)
Enigma

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post

In my office, we are not permitted time or records to see if there are forwards in the system. So some carriers return mail that is forwardable and some try to forward mail that is not forwardable. Then, when CFS sends the supposed COA mail back with a yellow sticker saying there is no COA, they return it as UTF. For these and many other good reasons, our customers complain about our poor service.

The machine can only detect COAs if it is so programmed. Mail that is being returned should not be running through a machine programmed to detect forwards.

The machine seems to be faulty in my area. I am constantly getting back good forwards with yellow UTF stickers. I also somehow get mail with UTF stickers that I never attempted to forward and are good addresses so go figure
thanks 1 user thanked Enigma for this useful post.
Your NBA  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 3:34:33 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

The computer has to be running on the correct program for the task. Zip codes need to match, etc. But, even without any human errors, it does seem machines have bad days.
baxter0  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 4:09:15 PM(UTC)
baxter0

United States

Originally Posted by: colty31 Go to Quoted Post

I love filling out MLNAs, I've had to do over 50 of them since taking over my new route.

Do your MLNAs get processed in a timely manner?

I have tried putting them in the outgoing and also bundling them with mail to CFS. Not sure which is correct but either way sometimes takes a month or two before they get processed. It's like they get tossed aside and get lost under other stuff.
I xerox a copy of the form and if I keep getting the mail back UTF i will just send it back to CFS with the copy.
colty31  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 5:53:57 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 80 post(s)

Do your MLNAs get processed in a timely manner?

I have tried putting them in the outgoing and also bundling them with mail to CFS. Not sure which is correct but either way sometimes takes a month or two before they get processed. It's like they get tossed aside and get lost under other stuff.
I xerox a copy of the form and if I keep getting the mail back UTF i will just send it back to CFS with the copy.

I seem to get them back within 1-2 weeks but it has taken close to a month before. I put them in with CFS (as recommended to me by another carrier that fills out a lot of them). It is possible that just the COA sticker gets lost but the MLNA did go through. So you can have a new COA packet printed and double check it if it’s been 1-2 months.

Edited by user Thursday, January 9, 2020 5:56:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PhaseIVDBCS  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 6:44:39 PM(UTC)
PhaseIVDBCS

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
The computer has to be running on the correct program for the task. Zip codes need to match, etc. But, even without any human errors, it does seem machines have bad days.

When I was on tour 2 (days) I (and co-workers on 5 other machines working in pairs) ran Prime Mail, which was the incoming 3 digit mail sorting it to 5 digit zips for the 93 zip codes our plant serviced. (not all of the zip codes were run on DPS) I worked on 1 of the 2 DIOSS machines which would spray barcodes (and the ID tag on the back) to non-barcoded mail. Our finished product went to tour 3 and tour 1 for them to run DPS. Mail coming out on Stacker #2 on the machines is mail going to CFS. Each machine running Prime averaged 3/4 (+/-) of a tray of mail for CFS. When I was on tour 1 running DPS, adding in BBM and presort 5 digit direct trays, zones I ran I'd average 1 loose tray in Stacker #2 for CFS.

When they still did CFS at our plant they would average 1 full web GPMC, which hold 33 full trays. As for human errors, the biggest one I saw on tour 1 was returned mail from a state agency when a contractor sent out 38 full trays of UAA mail with just name and street address visible in the window. MDO had us run it to get the numbers.

Edited by user Thursday, January 9, 2020 6:49:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

julioh00  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 5:28:16 PM(UTC)
julioh00

Originally Posted by: Yukoncarrier24 Go to Quoted Post
Well before you submit it unclaimed (UNC), check for a forward

Some routes there are so many stuffed mailboxes at apartments that dates back to 2017. Checking for a forward would be a long process and since there is many ways to process mail I say unclaimed or giving the customer ten days to pick up mail is sufficient and put it in the unclaimed tray.
julioh00  
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 5:30:34 PM(UTC)
julioh00

That is correct and especially and auxiliary route that doesn't have a regular.
julioh00  
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 5:33:49 PM(UTC)
julioh00

That is exactly what. Talking about. Being a new carrier on a route where there are so many stuffed boxes since who knows how long, and not just one box on the route.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed