Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FedCO1102  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 3:59:13 AM(UTC)
FedCO1102

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi all,

Wondering when everyone thinks the best time to ask about relocation expenses is. The jobs I'm looking at all say that relocation expenses are available to be covered but I've never requested them before. What's the appropriate time to bring this up during the hiring process?

Also, since the money I could potentially get would be taxed, should I ask for more than what my expenses are by around 40% or so (the rate I'm assuming it'll be taxed)? For example, if I'm seeing it may cost me $7,500 to move should I ask for $10,500 instead so that my expenses would actually be covered?

Thank you!
FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 7:59:32 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Generally when DoD says that relocation expense is available it means that they will conduct the move for you. (i.e. buy the plane ticket, hire movers to pick up household goods, ship your car, etc.) What will happen is that they will pay the movers/airlines/companies directly and then send you a bill for the taxes that you owe. If you pay for something out of pocket yourself and it is reimbursable, you'll receive whatever the amount that is authorized minus the taxes.

Unless they agreed that they won't do the move, you'll almost never get an advance. In your example, they won't reimburse you until you submit a paid receipt of the $7500 actual expense. Then they'll give you back that amount minus the taxes.
FedCO1102  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 8:42:18 AM(UTC)
FedCO1102

United States

Thanks FatHappyCat, that's interesting. I've heard from Navy colleagues that they received their relocation "bonus" as part of their first paycheck (less the taxes). All they had to do was sign a 1 year agreement. For what it's worth they mentioned they asked for the amount after their TO.
Endless Summer  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 1:39:38 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 215 time(s) in 186 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FedCO1102 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks FatHappyCat, that's interesting. I've heard from Navy colleagues that they received their relocation "bonus" as part of their first paycheck (less the taxes). All they had to do was sign a 1 year agreement. For what it's worth they mentioned they asked for the amount after their TO.

Apples and oranges...

What your colleagues are talking about is a "Relocation Incentive" which is completely different from them covering the PCS costs.

It's common to get PCS costs covered without a Relocation Incentive. Ask your contact which they are talking about.
FedCO1102  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:38:18 AM(UTC)
FedCO1102

United States

Thanks Endless, I just double checked the job postings I've been looking at and some say they cover PCS and others say relocation incentive may be available. Turns out my colleagues got relocation incentives. I guess getting a PCS covered should be a little easier to ask for than an incentive. Though I still have my question about what the appropriate time to bring up the need for either expenses to be covered or a relocation incentive to be offered is.
FatHappyCat  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 8:28:06 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Though I still have my question about what the appropriate time to bring up the need for either expenses to be covered or a relocation incentive to be offered is.

After TO before FO.

Endless Summer  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 1:43:18 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 215 time(s) in 186 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FatHappyCat Go to Quoted Post
Though I still have my question about what the appropriate time to bring up the need for either expenses to be covered or a relocation incentive to be offered is.

After TO before FO.

Yes.

But if the posting didn't offer PCS costs then you are unlikely to get them, especially if this is a move within CONUS. If PCS is authorized, you really don't negotiate anything. They will pay for pretty much everything, There are some added perks you can get such as House hunting trip, TQSE, etc.

If you are going to try to negotiate for any of these you should be ready to justify them. Research the costs of moving, transporting a vehicle, registration, school costs for the kids. It may not help, but it will show them that you aren't just pulling a number out of the sky.

Good luck
djp  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2020 7:04:09 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 140 time(s) in 137 post(s)
DOD authorizes PCS in application. It also can say it’s not covered. Others say nothing then it’s negotiable.

A military ciVilian PCS usually means

1 you don’t handle anything with the move. Packers will come and pack. Loaders come and load. You don’t do anything in this
You will have to pay on your own costs for lodging and food when you move. You may have the movers take your stuff aon Monday but you work till Friday. You are in lodging. You pay for this. Then when you travel in travel days you pay for costs, at new destination you have to book hotel and get food. Then you get yo pkace thrn movers bring stuff. After you move in you submit your hotel costs and get reimbursed.

As part of negotiation if you do the cost estimates for lodging and food you may get an advance to help cover these costs but it has to be negotiated.

GWPDA  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 8:44:46 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 503 time(s) in 421 post(s)
While when to ask for relocation isn't covered, just about everything else to do with paid moves is - at this link: https://www.dfas.mil/civ...anemployees/civrelo.html

DFAS is the defence element for payments of every kind, and covers both military and civilians.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed