Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dan01041986  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 7:00:49 PM(UTC)
Dan01041986

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello all, ok so short story. I was injured and been out for awhile because of my restrictions. Well I was in dropping off my paperwork and my manager said he was putting in for the 2 ton truck training so I can do collections. My question is how long and how hard is the training on the 2ton truck?
122intheshade  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 7:39:24 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 584 time(s) in 468 post(s)
Treat it as another vehicle. LLV, ProMaster, 2 Ton. A couple carriers and a supervisor got the training last year. Well, 2018. We had it for a few months, then it disappeared. We're chronically short of vehicles, so they gave us that one. A couple carriers used it for their routes.

That must be one hell of a collection for you to use a 2 ton. I've done collections in an LLV and had plenty of room. Even when picking up parcels.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
vHatch  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 8:05:16 PM(UTC)
vHatch

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dan01041986 Go to Quoted Post
Hello all, ok so short story. I was injured and been out for awhile because of my restrictions. Well I was in dropping off my paperwork and my manager said he was putting in for the 2 ton truck training so I can do collections. My question is how long and how hard is the training on the 2ton truck?

It was one day or less for me. How hard it is really depends on your driving experience and aptitude. If you mean how hard is doing collections physically, it really depends on the pickups. Most of our guys have had an easier time on the collections route than carrying mail though.
donaldworrell  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 9:01:35 PM(UTC)
donaldworrell

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 52 post(s)
It's several hours. First you just drive around to get the feel of the size of the truck. Then you practice backing up. Having the mirrors adjusted so you can gauge your distance is key. After you practice then you do an actual test. Now the newer 2tons have backup cameras. That makes it easy to backup. If you are in an older 2ton you have to judge when you have backed up to a dock. You know you are close so you easy the truck back till you feel resistance. That's the bumper making contact.

Edited by user Sunday, January 12, 2020 9:05:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Roger.D  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 9:12:47 PM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Was thanked: 822 time(s) in 646 post(s)
Have you ever driven a Uhaul truck?

Don't stress over it.

ETA: Are you back to work without restrictions? Doing collections can be a physical job. Make sure you do not violate any restrictions you have.

Edited by user Sunday, January 12, 2020 9:14:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WorkingTitle3484  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 3:11:39 AM(UTC)
WorkingTitle3484

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 70 post(s)
In Richmond, VA, 2-ton training is at least 4 hours. It's the same course as LLV and Promaster training, then you drive around town.

Don't hit the cones and park between the lines. No sweat. The USPS has excellent trainers to guide you.
Take each day one step at a time.
postalvet  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 7:25:53 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2944 time(s) in 2335 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dan01041986 Go to Quoted Post

you need to make sure you do not work outside what ever restrictions you are under.

there could be lots of lifting and bending getting in and out of a truck.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Rss Feed  Atom Feed