Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
1Quik46  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 1:49:03 PM(UTC)
1Quik46

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm Retired Air Force now working in a GS Permanent position. I have been accruing the minimum amount of Annual Leave since my start date, but I'm told I should qualify for a higher rate (6hrs vs. 4hrs a pay period). I haven't gotten a straight answer on how I go about requesting the additional time or if I would even qualify.

I'm told the campaigns would reflect on my DD-214, which I believe they do, so why wouldn't the higher rate be automatic? And how do I know what campaigns are even relevant? I have seen the OPM Appendix A list, so again why wouldn't it be automatic?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Edited by user Monday, January 13, 2020 1:50:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Exit7A  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 5:39:19 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 160 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1Quik46 Go to Quoted Post
I'm Retired Air Force now working in a GS Permanent position. I have been accruing the minimum amount of Annual Leave since my start date, but I'm told I should qualify for a higher rate (6hrs vs. 4hrs a pay period). I haven't gotten a straight answer on how I go about requesting the additional time or if I would even qualify.

I'm told the campaigns would reflect on my DD-214, which I believe they do, so why wouldn't the higher rate be automatic? And how do I know what campaigns are even relevant? I have seen the OPM Appendix A list, so again why wouldn't it be automatic?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Having the campaigns listed is one thing but they (OPM) need the dates to calculate how much time to credit you. When I worked for the USPS, I had to first contact my HR dept. They provided a form (SF Form 813) that you partially fill out and then you send to AFPC (the form has the address). AFPC will verify your dates and send back to HR. HR then updates your record. In my case, I had to send form back to AFPC several times due to missing info (on their end).

Bottom line, contact your HR rep and tell them you have credible service for leave accrual ( https://www.opm.gov/poli...onnel-actions/gppa06.pdf )
That's all I got to say about that.
thanks 1 user thanked Exit7A for this useful post.
1Quik46 on 1/14/2020(UTC)
GWPDA  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 5:40:53 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 503 time(s) in 421 post(s)
As a civilian employee, the rules governing annual leave are specific. Thus:
Less than 3 years of service * 3 years but less than 15 years of service * 15 or more years of service *
½ day (4 hours) for each pay period ¾ day (6 hours) for each pay period 1 day (8 hours) for each pay period

It is automatic. When you reach 3 years of service you will begin to accrue 6 hours a pay period. WHen you reach 15 years, you will accrue 8 hours a pay period.

Earned annual leave is not the same thing as buying former military service for the purpose of retirement.
GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 5:47:35 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 503 time(s) in 421 post(s)
Further, OPM states (https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/annual-leave/):
"Uniformed Service

For non-retired members of a uniformed service*, full credit for active military service** performed under honorable conditions is given for annual leave accrual purposes.
For retired members of a uniformed servivce***, annual leave accrual credit is given only for:
Actual service during a war declared by Congress (includes World War II covering the period December 7, 1941, to April 28, 1952) or while participating in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge is authorized. (See Vets Guide -- War Service Creditable for Veterans Preference (external link).)
or
All active duty when retirement was based on a disability received as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war as defined in 38 U.S.C. 101 and 1101. "Period of war" includes World War II, the Korean conflict, Vietnam era, the Persian Gulf War, or the period beginning on the date of any future declaration of war by the Congress and ending on the date prescribed by Presidential proclamation or concurrent resolution of the Congress.

*Per 5 U.S.C. 2101(3), the uniformed services consist of the Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard), the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service, and the commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

** Includes service as a cadet at the United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, or United States Coast Guard Academy; or service as a midshipman at the United States Naval Academy. See full definitions at 5 U.S.C. 8331(13) and 5 U.S.C. 8401(31).

***Per 5 U.S.C. 3501(a)(2), a retired member of a uniformed service is a member or former member of a uniformed service who is entitled, under statute, to retired, retirement, or retainer pay on account of his service as such a member. Per 5 U.S.C. 5534a, employees appointed on or after October 17, 2006 while on terminal leave pending retirement from the uniformed service are treated as retired members of a uniformed service for the purposes of annual leave accrual credit."
1Quik46  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:18:46 AM(UTC)
1Quik46

United States

Having the campaigns listed is one thing but they (OPM) need the dates to calculate how much time to credit you. When I worked for the USPS, I had to first contact my HR dept. They provided a form (SF Form 813) that you partially fill out and then you send to AFPC (the form has the address). AFPC will verify your dates and send back to HR. HR then updates your record. In my case, I had to send form back to AFPC several times due to missing info (on their end).

Bottom line, contact your HR rep and tell them you have credible service for leave accrual ( https://www.opm.gov/poli...onnel-actions/gppa06.pdf )

EXIT, this sounds like the answer I was looking for! Thanks much!

Although, it seems to contradict what the later response was. I guess I will re-engage with CIV Pers office and go from there.

Thanks again!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed