Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dcpassion2009  
#41 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 5:53:48 AM(UTC)
dcpassion2009

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cntpfrm Go to Quoted Post
Offering a Janitor job as part of reasonable accommodation process would be an acceptable accommodation on behalf of the post office, by refusing that job when no other accommodations were available... is what probably opened you up to removal. But, by refusing, you keep yourself open for disability retirement. If you wanted full time work with the post office and you couldn’t perform your clerk duties, I doubt you would qualify to perform janitorial duties either. If the basis for your removal was not accepting a janitorial job, you should show that you were also not qualified based on your restrictions for that job either. But then you are admitting that your basically unemployable for any craft. If you exhausted all those options, then you only really had two avenues left....apply for management or apply for Disability retirement. Cases like yours usually only get resolved through litigation or the merit service protection board, the latter of which, I think you can only use if you’re a disabled Vet.

That's just it, they keep telling the union that I'm not removed, suspended nor emergency placed, they just don't have a job to compliment my restrictions smh, this is the 3rd time they've done this. But I just seen where this man was in my position and they mailed him a letter saying he was medically terminated. Have you ever heard of this?
TheRealOrange  
#42 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 7:23:21 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 160 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dcpassion2009 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Cutie LaSalle Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately, in my case IT IS SO! 😲. I am a employee of over 25 years who has been removed three times, quit once, filed over 20 complaints some with NLRB and most with EEOC. I am stating information based on MY experience. I was removed in 2018 ! Don’t be sad,......,don’t quit......,STAY STRONG! I am one African American Female over 50 who is!!💪🏽💪🏽

Thank you for your kind words and great info, it's very helpful. I seen 2 things that really scared me last night. On another thread, a man was on LWOP, like me, for an extensive period of time, and he received a letter medically terminating him, have you ever heard of this? Second, he got denied SSA but approved for OPM, but I thought you couldn't do one without the other, what's your understanding about it?

You can be approved for FERS disability retirement and not for Social Security disability benefits. Whether your application for Social Security disability benefits is approved or not has no bearing on your possible receipt of a FERS disability retirement annuity. You are simply required to apply for Social Security disability benefits. For a FERS disability retirement, you have to show, by medical evidence, that you can't perform the duties of your current position, that your disability is going to last more than 12 months, and that your employer can't provide any accommodations that would allow you to perform in your current position with your restrictions. So, the determination is based on whether you are prevented from performing your in your current position. For Social Security disability benefits, you have to show by medical evidence that your disability prevents you from performing any type of work and is not based on your current position. It is a different standard, so that's why the FERS disability retirement determination is not dependent on the Social Security disability benefits determination.
thanks 1 user thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
dcpassion2009 on 1/16/2020(UTC)
Cutie LaSalle  
#43 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 12:37:39 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
dcpassion2009, My case is TOTALLY different. I had just filed another (21) EEO against management and a report to OSHA..... I made a complaint concerning a hostile work environment after I was placed on EP . Then all hell broke loose. I found out that the postmaster had lied and falsified a report (threat assessment), stated that I had a mental illness, and an employee had called the postal inspector AFTER I was removed and said that they were having nightmares and feared for their life and the life of their family (because of this FABRICATED story). I was compared to the Royal Oak Shooter of 1991 and as I stated this stuff was FABRICATED. They have tried to sweep this under the rug and have me report to work like NOTHING HAPPENED? I AM ONCE AGAIN HORRIFIED!! I don't know what will happen if I go back....this was extremely devastating after over 25 years of my life working there. I have been injured!!!

I WANT SOMEONE WITH AUTHORITY AND CONSCIOUS TO LOOK INTO THIS!! .....DON'T MAKE ME SAY MY FULL NAME AND ADDRESS......JUST KIDDING!!!!LOL!!

OH...and my sister please do not put any personal identifying information in your profile.....your picture and other things about you can be tracked....BUT CONTINUE TO LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!!!

Edited by user Thursday, January 16, 2020 1:02:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Cutie LaSalle  
#44 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 1:15:18 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post
not to be mean but sometimes postal management is too hard to fight and one must find another job.

this might be one of those times.

I would do that of course, if it weren't an entity with over 50 different positions, job titles, duties and responsibilities. It's too many things, that even people with a lower IQ than me can do, so I know 5 years of college makes me a good fit for something, they're just not pointing me in the right direction, or even trying to show me the correct path to take, to secure the proper position.

Another suggestion...If you can still log on to liteblue….go to the HERO icon. Look for other postal jobs there. You can upload a picture of yourself. It will have all of the jobs that you have had along with an area for your resume (991). And you can peek into the resumes of other co-workers. (Interesting how fast some managers got their positions and their family members....I digress (LOL!) If you really want to stay in the jungle there may be some other job there or in the vicinity. LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE ITS GOLDEN.....TTYL....time for me to get off the forum
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
dcpassion2009  
#45 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 3:44:10 PM(UTC)
dcpassion2009

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately, in my case IT IS SO! 😲. I am a employee of over 25 years who has been removed three times, quit once, filed over 20 complaints some with NLRB and most with EEOC. I am stating information based on MY experience. I was removed in 2018 ! Don’t be sad,......,don’t quit......,STAY STRONG! I am one African American Female over 50 who is!!💪🏽💪🏽

Thank you for your kind words and great info, it's very helpful. I seen 2 things that really scared me last night. On another thread, a man was on LWOP, like me, for an extensive period of time, and he received a letter medically terminating him, have you ever heard of this? Second, he got denied SSA but approved for OPM, but I thought you couldn't do one without the other, what's your understanding about it?

You can be approved for FERS disability retirement and not for Social Security disability benefits. Whether your application for Social Security disability benefits is approved or not has no bearing on your possible receipt of a FERS disability retirement annuity. You are simply required to apply for Social Security disability benefits. For a FERS disability retirement, you have to show, by medical evidence, that you can't perform the duties of your current position, that your disability is going to last more than 12 months, and that your employer can't provide any accommodations that would allow you to perform in your current position with your restrictions. So, the determination is based on whether you are prevented from performing your in your current position. For Social Security disability benefits, you have to show by medical evidence that your disability prevents you from performing any type of work and is not based on your current position. It is a different standard, so that's why the FERS disability retirement determination is not dependent on the Social Security disability benefits determination.

Sorry to keep bothering you, but you're so knowledgeable about this stuff and I need you really bad lol 😂 lls 🤣... 2 things, what do you know about medical termination and also, see how you put current position in bold, they offered me custodian, where I would take a pay and level cut, can I be penalized for declining
dcpassion2009  
#46 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 3:45:56 PM(UTC)
dcpassion2009

Woman
United States

dcpassion2009, My case is TOTALLY different. I had just filed another (21) EEO against management and a report to OSHA..... I made a complaint concerning a hostile work environment after I was placed on EP . Then all hell broke loose. I found out that the postmaster had lied and falsified a report (threat assessment), stated that I had a mental illness, and an employee had called the postal inspector AFTER I was removed and said that they were having nightmares and feared for their life and the life of their family (because of this FABRICATED story). I was compared to the Royal Oak Shooter of 1991 and as I stated this stuff was FABRICATED. They have tried to sweep this under the rug and have me report to work like NOTHING HAPPENED? I AM ONCE AGAIN HORRIFIED!! I don't know what will happen if I go back....this was extremely devastating after over 25 years of my life working there. I have been injured!!!

I WANT SOMEONE WITH AUTHORITY AND CONSCIOUS TO LOOK INTO THIS!! .....DON'T MAKE ME SAY MY FULL NAME AND ADDRESS......JUST KIDDING!!!!LOL!!

OH...and my sister please do not put any personal identifying information in your profile.....your picture and other things about you can be tracked....BUT CONTINUE TO LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!!!

We're allowed to use this site though right, just as long as we don't use specific management or coworker names correct???
dcpassion2009  
#47 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 3:48:00 PM(UTC)
dcpassion2009

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post
not to be mean but sometimes postal management is too hard to fight and one must find another job.

this might be one of those times.

I would do that of course, if it weren't an entity with over 50 different positions, job titles, duties and responsibilities. It's too many things, that even people with a lower IQ than me can do, so I know 5 years of college makes me a good fit for something, they're just not pointing me in the right direction, or even trying to show me the correct path to take, to secure the proper position.

Another suggestion...If you can still log on to liteblue….go to the HERO icon. Look for other postal jobs there. You can upload a picture of yourself. It will have all of the jobs that you have had along with an area for your resume (991). And you can peek into the resumes of other co-workers. (Interesting how fast some managers got their positions and their family members....I digress (LOL!) If you really want to stay in the jungle there may be some other job there or in the vicinity. LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE ITS GOLDEN.....TTYL....time for me to get off the forum

Thanks, I'll check it out 👍☀️👌
Cutie LaSalle  
#48 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 4:10:17 PM(UTC)

OF course! Its best not to use real names period....I think that may be against the rules in SOME forums. AIN'T NOBODY TRYING TO HIDE. Ttyl
TheRealOrange  
#49 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 3:35:21 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Sorry to keep bothering you, but you're so knowledgeable about this stuff and I need you really bad lol 😂 lls 🤣... 2 things, what do you know about medical termination and also, see how you put current position in bold, they offered me custodian, where I would take a pay and level cut, can I be penalized for declining

In the reasonable accommodation process, the EEOC guidance provides that an employer generally must "reassign the individual to a vacant position that is equivalent in terms of pay, status, or other relevant factors (e.g., benefits, geographical location) if the employee is qualified for the position." That said, if there is no vacant equivalent position, then the employer must reassign the employee to a vacant lower level position for which the individual is qualified. If there is more than one vacancy for which the employee is qualified, the employer must place the individual in the position that comes closest to the employee's current position in terms of pay, status, etc. Therefore, in your case, it may be that management offered the custodian position as the only vacant position available for which you qualify. It is difficult to determine that from the posts here, but it's a possibility. If you decline the position, and still cannot perform the essential functions of your current position, then I imagine that management could propose a removal for medical inability to perform.

To sustain a charge of medical inability to perform, management would need to show that you have a medical condition and that there is a connection (legally referred to as a "nexus") between your medical condition and observed deficiencies in your work performance or conduct. Keep in mind that a charge of medical inability to perform is different from a charge of unsatisfactory performance. For a medical inability to perform charge, there must be medical evidence showing that you are incapacitated for particular job duties due to a medical condition. Although non-medical evidence regarding performance deficiencies might support the medical evidence of incapacity, the non-medical evidence alone is not enough to establish the charge of inability to perform job duties. Also, and this might be important down the road, a removal for medical inability to perform the essential functions of a position is evidence that you are presumed to be entitled to disability retirement through OPM (this is referred to as the "Bruner presumption).

I am sure there is a lot going on that none of us here really understand, so all of this information is just for general reference. You really should seek legal advice from a lawyer knowledgeable about federal processes.

Edited by user Friday, January 17, 2020 3:40:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MPE2009  
#50 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 4:56:38 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 671 time(s) in 519 post(s)

In the reasonable accommodation process, the EEOC guidance provides that an employer generally must "reassign the individual to a vacant position that is equivalent in terms of pay, status, or other relevant factors (e.g., benefits, geographical location) if the employee is qualified for the position." That said, if there is no vacant equivalent position, then the employer must reassign the employee to a vacant lower level position for which the individual is qualified. If there is more than one vacancy for which the employee is qualified, the employer must place the individual in the position that comes closest to the employee's current position in terms of pay, status, etc. Therefore, in your case, it may be that management offered the custodian position as the only vacant position available for which you qualify. It is difficult to determine that from the posts here, but it's a possibility. If you decline the position, and still cannot perform the essential functions of your current position, then I imagine that management could propose a removal for medical inability to perform.

To sustain a charge of medical inability to perform, management would need to show that you have a medical condition and that there is a connection (legally referred to as a "nexus") between your medical condition and observed deficiencies in your work performance or conduct. Keep in mind that a charge of medical inability to perform is different from a charge of unsatisfactory performance. For a medical inability to perform charge, there must be medical evidence showing that you are incapacitated for particular job duties due to a medical condition. Although non-medical evidence regarding performance deficiencies might support the medical evidence of incapacity, the non-medical evidence alone is not enough to establish the charge of inability to perform job duties. Also, and this might be important down the road, a removal for medical inability to perform the essential functions of a position is evidence that you are presumed to be entitled to disability retirement through OPM (this is referred to as the "Bruner presumption).

I am sure there is a lot going on that none of us here really understand, so all of this information is just for general reference. You really should seek legal advice from a lawyer knowledgeable about federal processes.

BUT... how does the fact this is not an OWCP case affect the legal obligations of the employer to the employee? If you're hurt on the job, there is an obligation on the part of the employer to the injured employee. There is a lesser obligation towards the employee who was not hurt on the job. That alone is demonstrated by the differences in light duty vs limited duty. In general management is forced to provide a limited duty assignment (for on the job injuries), whereas they generally have the right to deny a light duty request, since that was not an on the job injury.
TheRealOrange  
#51 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 5:29:15 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

BUT... how does the fact this is not an OWCP case affect the legal obligations of the employer to the employee? If you're hurt on the job, there is an obligation on the part of the employer to the injured employee. There is a lesser obligation towards the employee who was not hurt on the job. That alone is demonstrated by the differences in light duty vs limited duty. In general management is forced to provide a limited duty assignment (for on the job injuries), whereas they generally have the right to deny a light duty request, since that was not an on the job injury.

I'm really not familiar with OWCP. Outside of the OWCP realm, the issue would be whether the light duty would still allow for the performance of all of the essential elements of the job. Even if not, it can often take a long time to determine whether an appropriate vacant position exists, so the employer could provide a temporary assignment to a light duty position. Ultimately, if light duty would not allow an employee to perform all of the essential functions of the job, then it would not be deemed to be a valid reasonable accommodation. Of course, the employer also may choose to take actions that go beyond the legal requirements, such as eliminating an essential function of the employee's current position to enable an employee to continue working while a reassignment is sought, but I think that's pretty rare.
Roger.D  
#52 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 11:07:56 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 1001 time(s) in 773 post(s)
Where is the "quote" police at?

EagleDog  
#53 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 11:36:08 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 108 post(s)
Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post

Sorry, I was on another call (actually on my break eating donuts).

I got this.

Please refrain from quoting the entire text from previous replies when responding.
Quote judiciously when replying to a post. It makes everyone's life a little easier.
In general, less is more.

OK, carry on...

TheRealOrange  
#54 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 11:47:53 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Originally Posted by: EagleDog Go to Quoted Post

Sorry, I was on another call (actually on my break eating donuts).
I got this.

Please refrain from quoting the entire text from previous replies when responding.
Quote judiciously when replying to a post. It makes everyone's life a little easier.
In general, less is more.

OK, carry on...

In a thread like this one, which has gone in several different directions and has several different topics, responding without quoting is virtually useless. Well, most of my responses are virtually useless, but that's a different topic. ;-)
Cutie LaSalle  
#55 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 10:47:52 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Cntpfrm Go to Quoted Post
Offering a Janitor job as part of reasonable accommodation process would be an acceptable accommodation on behalf of the post office, by refusing that job when no other accommodations were available... is what probably opened you up to removal. But, by refusing, you keep yourself open for disability retirement. If you wanted full time work with the post office and you couldn’t perform your clerk duties, I doubt you would qualify to perform janitorial duties either. If the basis for your removal was not accepting a janitorial job, you should show that you were also not qualified based on your restrictions for that job either. But then you are admitting that your basically unemployable for any craft. If you exhausted all those options, then you only really had two avenues left....apply for management or apply for Disability retirement. Cases like yours usually only get resolved through litigation or the merit service protection board, the latter of which, I think you can only use if you’re a disabled Vet.

That's just it, they keep telling the union that I'm not removed, suspended nor emergency placed, they just don't have a job to compliment my restrictions smh, this is the 3rd time they've done this. But I just seen where this man was in my position and they mailed him a letter saying he was medically terminated. Have you ever heard of this?

How do you report your leave? Do you use the virtual time clock? What about your benefits? OPM requires updates after certain amounts LWOP. These are things that you need to think about if you are out longer than 30 days. These are rhetorical questions.
Your NBA  
#56 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 8:26:45 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

Was thanked: 1451 time(s) in 1008 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EagleDog Go to Quoted Post

Sorry, I was on d

r u g s when responding.
It makes life a little easier.
In general

OK

Cutie LaSalle  
#57 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 8:36:52 PM(UTC)

Ok. Wanted the reply to go in the right spot.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed