Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
howellminn  
#21 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 7:04:33 AM(UTC)
howellminn

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hey all,

I withdrew from the process about a year ago, and have since thrown my name in the hat with this opening. My previous passing score on the SAEE was carried over so I advanced to the SUPER interview, however I haven;t heard anything and that notification was received on 5/15 or so. Anyone else have a similar experience?
newsgirl55  
#22 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 7:12:30 AM(UTC)
newsgirl55

United States

Originally Posted by: howellminn Go to Quoted Post
Hey all,

I withdrew from the process about a year ago, and have since thrown my name in the hat with this opening. My previous passing score on the SAEE was carried over so I advanced to the SUPER interview, however I haven;t heard anything and that notification was received on 5/15 or so. Anyone else have a similar experience?

A lot of us have passed the SAEE either recently or right before COVID started up and are waiting for the SUPER to be scheduled. I was set to take the test in March but the testing centers shut down three days before my date. I was reauthorized at the beginning of June and passed on the 12th. Rumor on another forum is that they are planning ELAC processing events in July to push a lot of applicants through quickly, but I haven't heard anyone say they have their SUPER scheduled yet. So welcome to the waiting game lol.
Swtpch93  
#23 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 9:08:33 AM(UTC)
Swtpch93

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I took the SAEE this morning and passed. I was surprised I got the results right after testing. I was the only applicant there. I took the CBP officer entrance examine a couple of weeks prior and I believe that helped with the Logic Based Reasoning and Language portions.

Good luck to everyone!
Swtpch93  
#24 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 9:14:28 AM(UTC)
Swtpch93

Originally Posted by: WeirdLaw Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, looking for some insight.

Roughly 5 months ago I was bumped out of FBI SA process at the poly stage.

It dealt with an unclear timeframe on prior use. Long story short, I couldn't narrow down the date specifically, and had about a month timeframe that I believed to be most accurate. That showed on my poly as stress, and ended up in a fail.

How much would this be held against me in application to another agency, aka the CI position in Secret Service? I'd rather not shoot myself in the foot off the bat. I am not in any qualification violations. But would the FBI ding go against me?

From what I read in the other USSS thread, a failed polygraph with one agency will NOT have an effect on the application with another agency.

Edited by user Monday, June 22, 2020 9:17:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

someoldguy  
#25 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 9:31:45 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 938 time(s) in 788 post(s)
Here's a question... I'm not applying for this position, but I saw a recent announcement that said it was "Temporary."

Is that right? I assume this is just a way of giving them an easy way to terminate you if you fail the training or don't work out during the probationary period... but it is like other "Temporary" positions where you do not get full benefits and you don't accrue time toward tenure?
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Tiny_Fed_69  
#26 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 9:56:23 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Here's a question... I'm not applying for this position, but I saw a recent announcement that said it was "Temporary."

Is that right? I assume this is just a way of giving them an easy way to terminate you if you fail the training or don't work out during the probationary period... but it is like other "Temporary" positions where you do not get full benefits and you don't accrue time toward tenure?

IIRC it’s temporary because of the hiring authority used. You’re technically temporary in the FBI too until you finish the probationary period.

You get normal benefits and everything just like a permanent position.
someoldguy  
#27 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 10:08:14 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Thanks... I thought that when you saw "temporary" in a USAJobs announcement it meant twelve months or less.
Tiny_Fed_69  
#28 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 10:13:38 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

You sign an agreement saying you’ll work for the USSS for 20 or 24 months so definitely longer than a year.

Agencies use new kinds of hiring authority so it doesn’t take 3 years to hire new agents. One of the reasons the USSS was getting people to FLETC within 100 days of applying (at least before COVID).

Considering how much putting you through 6-7 months of training costs them, I’d hope they wouldn’t let you go after another 6 months of actually working the job.
eastwest  
#29 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:36:33 AM(UTC)
eastwest

United States

I’m thinking of maybe throwing my hat in the ring. I’m already in the FBI process, but it wouldn’t hurt to increase my chances to land a 1811.

Anyone here concerned about the reported low morale due to crazy OT and non stop travel? Obviously it’s something you would have to deal with knowing what the job entails, but I don’t know how a family man, or rather, their family would survive such an ordeal. I know back in 2017(?) the head of the dept said they would be making changes for major improvements. I always wondered they were getting it done.
someoldguy  
#30 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 7:33:53 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

I was hoping someone else would chime in with direct knowledge, since the only info I have is second-hand at best. But I thought I'd add what little info I do have.

Apparently it is not only the amount of travel but the last-minute nature of it. You might get a call saying you need to be someplace on very short notice. If there were a set schedule and you could plan things out, I'm told, it would not be quite as bad. But much of the travel is unscheduled, possibly due to being short staffed and also the nature of the protectee's schedules.

Something else I did not know is that your first assignment, maybe the first few years, are not in the 'protective' details but you are based out of field offices working other cases. The guy who told me this seemed to think this would cut down on the travel, but at best that would only be at the start.

In other news, I saw a news story about moving USSS out of DHS and back to Treasury.
eastwest  
#31 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 7:50:19 AM(UTC)
eastwest

United States

someoldguy, good stuff.

I think it might benefit the USSS to maybe split up financial investigations and protective details and focus on just one. Or at least put much more man power into protective work to increase personnel thus create better schedules and raise working standards. There are many agencies that can handle financial crimes. Once word gets out that things are better they’ll get more people to join and spend less on OT pay.

Just my 2 cents.
Tiny_Fed_69  
#32 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2020 9:38:12 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Seeing multiple people on the officer.com forum getting through their SUPER in very late July. Looks like it’s all bigger cities.

I’ve called my local FO about three times and haven’t gotten anything solid. About to see if they’d let me travel to a bigger city to actually continue the process. I’d like to get in what has to be an insanely long queue for the FLETC CITP before you’re having to wait 1-2 years to get in lol.
M1keBones  
#33 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2020 4:58:21 PM(UTC)
M1keBones

What was everyone's general timeline from application submission until SAEE invite? I submitted in mid July and my application is still in the "received" status on USA Jobs.
Tiny_Fed_69  
#34 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2020 7:57:17 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Finally got the SUPER invite. Took about 6 months. They're really backed up and trying to work through everything as quickly as possible.

If you submitted an application recently, I'd expect to hear something about the SAEE within 1 to 1.5 months. It seems like testing centers are mostly re-opened.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed