Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

14 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tt24  
#61 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2020 3:03:50 AM(UTC)
tt24

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I received a final job offer last week! I was given 7 locations to choose from and decided to stay in Baltimore. Here is my time line:

6//2017: took the SAEE and passed but failed the interview
03/2020: reapplied- didn’t have to take the SAEE again due to having passed it previously
06/2020: SUPER scheduled- expedited process- passed the interview, and then went over the clearance forms (which took two hours). Left with a conditional offer
07/2020: took the drug test
8/2020: took the medical exam
9/2020: took the poly (was in there for a little less than four hours)
9//29/20: received the call to except a final offer.

Good luck to everyone! I also would like to say never give up! I’ve been at my current job for years and always kept pushing no matter the obstacles and challenges I faced. Don’t get discouraged by negativity and/or failed attempts.
thanks 1 user thanked tt24 for this useful post.
FederalDreams on 10/5/2020(UTC)
M1keBones  
#62 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2020 6:29:23 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tt24 Go to Quoted Post
I received a final job offer last week! I was given 7 locations to choose from and decided to stay in Baltimore. Here is my time line:

03/2020: reapplied- didn’t have to take the SAEE again due to having passed it previously
06/2020: SUPER scheduled- expedited process- passed the interview, and then went over the clearance forms (which took two hours). Left with a conditional offer

Good luck to everyone! I also would like to say never give up! I’ve been at my current job for years and always kept pushing no matter the obstacles and challenges I faced. Don’t get discouraged by negativity and/or failed attempts.

Congrats man! I like seeing stories like this where someone was persistent and finally made it. The 1811 process has been brutal thus far between the 4 applications I have running and between the daily physical training, balancing my current career, and the waiting game, it sometimes gets discouraging when I feel like it's a pipe dream. For the field office selection, did they generally offer you areas in your current geographical location?

TheTexasCuban  
#63 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2020 9:59:25 AM(UTC)
TheTexasCuban

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Made a rookie mistake on my application and did not submit my full transcript for announcement ending on 8/30/2020. Got notice I am not qualified for GS9.

Luckily also applied for announcement on 9/30/2020 as a redundancy and did it right that time.

Hopefully they’ll be reviewing those as well soon.
glasscannon  
#64 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2020 9:55:00 AM(UTC)
glasscannon

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Congrats on the final offer!

Would you mind commenting on the other locations that were available selection? Are you aware of any continuous need for agents in certain locations (i.e. FBI - NY, SF, LA, etc.)? Thanks in advance for any info.

Edited by user Sunday, October 11, 2020 9:55:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Borq93  
#65 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 10:00:30 PM(UTC)
Borq93

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

First, congratulations! Second, I have a couple questions if you don't mind. Did they not conduct a final board interview before the final offer?
Lastly, what academy date are you set for? Thanks in advance.
App 5/12
SAEE Inv 5/15
SAEE 6/2
ELAC SUPER 9/10
Med 10/19
Poly 10/20
Phone Intvw 10/26
Home Intvw 11/2
Final offer 11/3
WeirdLaw  
#66 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2020 6:41:24 PM(UTC)
WeirdLaw

United States

Originally Posted by: glasscannon Go to Quoted Post

I know it's been asked several times, but any insight as to how they offer regions? Was it offered outright? Or simply because you happened to live in an area of need? I'm curious as to how their office offers go.

Congrats on the final offer!

Would you mind commenting on the other locations that were available selection? Are you aware of any continuous need for agents in certain locations (i.e. FBI - NY, SF, LA, etc.)? Thanks in advance for any info.

USSS
App 08/20
SAEE 09/20
Super 10/20
tt24  
#67 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2020 4:22:57 PM(UTC)
tt24

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello

I know some ppl asked me several questions about my offer, but for some reason I can’t reply to the post on my phone.... They say they send you wherever the needs of the Service is, with that being said they offered LA, San Diego, Chicago, Oklahoma City, New York City, DC, and Baltimore- I chose Baltimore because I already live there, and I’m also hoping to get into cyber crime, which I heard is done out of that office.

As far is there a final interview... there is a home interview where an agent came and went into depth about the job and the impact it will have on you and you family’s life.

I’m scheduled to leave for fletc on December 5th; my phone orientation is this coming Monday.

Hope this answered some of your questions. Good luck everyone!
thanks 4 users thanked tt24 for this useful post.
FederalDreams on 10/21/2020(UTC), glasscannon on 10/21/2020(UTC), 1800seriesHopeful on 10/22/2020(UTC), Borq93 on 10/23/2020(UTC)
newguy724  
#68 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2020 7:38:49 AM(UTC)
newguy724

I see that there is a new posting for 1811 for USSS. I have a quick question of which I have read conflicting responses and was hoping this forum could give me an absolute answer. This in no way effects my application to the agency just purely curious. Do Secret Service Agents get a take home vehicle? If so, is it only certain agents or is it across the board? Any insight is appreciated.
Tiny_Fed_69  
#69 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2020 8:48:20 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
My understanding is they do get cars. I think the agents in my SUPER confirmed this, but I can’t recall 100%.

Of course it’s probably going to be a Ford Fusion lol
Borq93  
#70 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2020 3:17:22 PM(UTC)
Borq93

United States

Originally Posted by: newguy724 Go to Quoted Post
I see that there is a new posting for 1811 for USSS. I have a quick question of which I have read conflicting responses and was hoping this forum could give me an absolute answer. This in no way effects my application to the agency just purely curious. Do Secret Service Agents get a take home vehicle? If so, is it only certain agents or is it across the board? Any insight is appreciated.

Had my home interview today and this topic came up, here's the answer:

In regards to a take home vehicle yes, SA's do get a vehicle. This is what you will use to commute to work/field IF you are doing criminal investigative work, I was told when you are on protective assignment you do not get a vehicle, you use your own.

Also some additional info regarding the vehicle - it is STRICTLY for your work use only. That vehicle doesn't pick up your kids from school, go grocery shopping, in fact I was told there is one person allowed inside, you (and other LEO's if you're working together on a case. Apparently some people have lost their job due to not adhering to this rule).
App 5/12
SAEE Inv 5/15
SAEE 6/2
ELAC SUPER 9/10
Med 10/19
Poly 10/20
Phone Intvw 10/26
Home Intvw 11/2
Final offer 11/3
Tiny_Fed_69  
#71 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2020 3:33:43 PM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Misuse of take home cars is the most common infraction people get written up for apparently. Since it’s so easy to do. Going home and need to pick up your kid or something? Too bad, that’s technically misuse of the car.
newguy724  
#72 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2020 5:03:05 AM(UTC)
newguy724

I currently am in a job where my employer provides a vehicle. Seems to be the same rules. The only passengers I can have are my coworkers. I can only use it to drive to and from work. And obviously to lunch. And as far as the criminal investigative side of the Secret Service, I read somewhere that all new agents are assigned criminal investigative work for the first three years regardless of any prior law enforcement or protective experience.
Borq93  
#73 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 5:34:20 AM(UTC)
Borq93

United States

Happy to let you all know that last week I accepted my final offer. Unbelievably excited to begin this career journey. Keep grinding and stay patient.
App 5/12
SAEE Inv 5/15
SAEE 6/2
ELAC SUPER 9/10
Med 10/19
Poly 10/20
Phone Intvw 10/26
Home Intvw 11/2
Final offer 11/3
Tiny_Fed_69  
#74 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 7:46:41 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

That was a very quick turnaround after the poly, congrats!

How was the poly? Without mentioning specifics of course. Seems like people either find it straightfoward or it's the worst experience of their life, with no in-between lol.

I do mine in a few weeks after applying in early-Feb.

newguy724  
#75 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 7:56:15 AM(UTC)
newguy724

I am not sure if this was already posted, however I am curious how the Service picks the location you report to after training. Do they give you a list based on preference or do they place you wherever they want? I know you have to sign a mobility agreement, just wasn't sure if they took agent preference into account. Thank you
Borq93  
#76 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 8:07:57 AM(UTC)
Borq93

United States

Originally Posted by: Tiny_Fed_69 Go to Quoted Post
That was a very quick turnaround after the poly, congrats!

How was the poly? Without mentioning specifics of course. Seems like people either find it straightfoward or it's the worst experience of their life, with no in-between lol.

I do mine in a few weeks after applying in early-Feb.

I'll say this about the poly - I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, lol.
Best of luck in a few weeks.
App 5/12
SAEE Inv 5/15
SAEE 6/2
ELAC SUPER 9/10
Med 10/19
Poly 10/20
Phone Intvw 10/26
Home Intvw 11/2
Final offer 11/3
1800seriesHopeful  
#77 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2020 12:43:05 PM(UTC)
1800seriesHopeful

United States

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone that has taken the polygraph has any advice. I am scheduled for January. I know to obviously tell the truth, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Please do not say anything that you are not allowed to talk about, but anything that you wish you would have known going into it? any tips on how to relax without appearing to be trying to "beat" the test? Again, I am not fishing for any information that you are not allowed to share. Also, could you share how long it took you to get the results of your test? Anyone that has failed is more than welcome to give advice, I like to learn from others experiences, good or bad. Thanks in advance. I applied in March by the way.
M1keBones  
#78 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2020 8:46:31 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1800seriesHopeful Go to Quoted Post
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone that has taken the polygraph has any advice. I am scheduled for January. I know to obviously tell the truth, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Please do not say anything that you are not allowed to talk about, but anything that you wish you would have known going into it? any tips on how to relax without appearing to be trying to "beat" the test? Again, I am not fishing for any information that you are not allowed to share. Also, could you share how long it took you to get the results of your test? Anyone that has failed is more than welcome to give advice, I like to learn from others experiences, good or bad. Thanks in advance. I applied in March by the way.

Dude, it's the polygraph. Go in, take it, let the chips fall where they may. This posts sounds like you're trying to "game" the polygraph. Go in, tell the truth, be honest, that's it. It's not a PFT or a written test, there are no "tips." Also, don't look up info on the polygraph on the internet. This can come back to bite you in the ass.

Edited by user Saturday, November 14, 2020 8:47:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

George Maschke  
#79 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2020 12:46:11 PM(UTC)
George Maschke

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)

The U.S. Secret Service uses a polygraph screening format called the Law Enforcement Pre-Employment Test. You can prepare by educating yourself about polygraphy, which actually depends on the operator lying to and deceiving you about the nature of the procedure, which has no scientific basis. For detailed information on polygraph procedure and ways to mitigate the risk of wrongly failing, see The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, a free book I coauthored. Good luck. 🤞
Signal/WhatsApp/Snapchat/Telegram/iMessage: +1-202-810-2105
thanks 1 user thanked George Maschke for this useful post.
1800seriesHopeful on 11/17/2020(UTC)
1800seriesHopeful  
#80 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:08:43 AM(UTC)
1800seriesHopeful

United States

Originally Posted by: M1keBones Go to Quoted Post

Dude, it's the polygraph. Go in, take it, let the chips fall where they may. This posts sounds like you're trying to "game" the polygraph. Go in, tell the truth, be honest, that's it. It's not a PFT or a written test, there are no "tips." Also, don't look up info on the polygraph on the internet. This can come back to bite you in the ass.

Sir, I am sorry that you misunderstood my intentions. I had previously stated that I am not trying to beat the test. I thought that was pretty straightforward. The backstory, is that I had failed one after following advice such as yours. I told the truth and was redundantly honest. I appreciate the advice to not look anything up on the internet. Can you elaborate on how it would end up biting me in the ass?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed