Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

14 Pages«<678910>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Allsourceguy  
#141 Posted : Thursday, May 6, 2021 6:40:03 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Proteus Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Allsourceguy Go to Quoted Post
I was told you don't take the PT test until orientation btw, and for my SUPER I was just given a date/time to show no choice in the matter.

ps. Still haven't heard anything back after my SUPER, I see most people receive a COE that day? I had to resign the NDA because we had dates wrong so I know that may have held it up a day or two but still tomorrow is two weeks.

Since you had your SUPER Interview recently, I'm having a little trouble finding information on exactly what the format of it is. I've heard it is roughly 10 questions (standard job interview type things, e.g. "talk about a time you failed, etc.). But is that it? Is there more to it than that, or to prepare should one just have a bunch of applicable stories prepared to give as examples for these types of questions?

Yeah I couldn't find much on the SUPER either lol, but yes just have a few applicable stories prepared. We sign a NDA so I cant give details, but I was caught off guard by like two of them but just be prepared to think on your feet and use the STAR method. Its was actually informative because the Agents explained everything about the process and the job to me before hand.

captmarc  
#142 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2021 8:06:24 AM(UTC)
captmarc

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I retired 7 years ago after over 25 years with USSS (UD 3yrs and SA 22yrs.) In the FO, every month a number of SA's are assigned to the "Rotation" You go about your Investigations but have clothes cleaned and ready to be packed. You get a message to go on a trip (usually a couple of days notice, but not always) or you can volunteer (with approval of your Supv.)

Some Rotations are quiet with no travel, others are busy and you are gone weeks at a time. If your district is having a visit, you may be selected to assist the local advance and others travel to your City for the visit. The short notice trips are usually when someone suddenly can not travel or last minute changes to the Protectee's schedule..

EVERY September is the UN General assembly. No vacation allowed unless planned well in advance and with permission. 25-148 Heads of State arrive in NYC along with POTUS and VPOTUS.. busy time. We tell guys not to get married or have kids that month!! LOL!!

EVERY four years is the Presidential Campaign... Details, advance teams, jump teams are formed and are assigned to various Candidates.. Usually a three week rotation, but others are on the rotation to be available for POTUS, VP and Foreign dignitaries.. Conventions and Inauguration are our Super Bowls, so once again all hands on deck...

This is some of the info discussed during interviews and the home visit. Some spouses get upset when given the worst case scenario... The person at home has to be somewhat independent.. and able to take care of home business. During a true home emergency, the SS will do their best to get you home, but not for a flat tire or leaky pipe... you may be overseas as well.. This info is discussed to make the applicant fully aware of the challenges of the job. They want you to stay after investing in training and and other costs...

The good thing is besides the 25% AUO (Admin Uncontrolled Overtime) USSS is one of the few Agencies that gets Overtime and per diem when you travel or work the weekend..

I hope not to scare anyone away. I found my career with the USSS very rewarding. I traveled the world and saw so many Historic places and events. The Mission is important and something I'm proud to have been a part of...

"Thank you and God Bless the USA!" Marc

Edited by user Friday, May 7, 2021 8:09:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Retired 7, not 5....

thanks 3 users thanked captmarc for this useful post.
GH on 5/7/2021(UTC), Cody47 on 5/7/2021(UTC), Allsourceguy on 5/10/2021(UTC)
captmarc  
#143 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 6:11:39 AM(UTC)
captmarc

I worked in larger offices (Houston and Miami.) We took turns answering after hour calls. Larger offices also handle the Regional call center 24 hours /day. In Miami I would receive calls for Florida, GA, SC and Alabama. We took messages unless it was a true emergency, then we reached out to the appropriate Office to address the issue. Sometimes you worked late hours if a surveillance came up, or you arrest someone late in the day.. As a new SA in an office you will work in one squad for a couple of years (Bank Fraud) then move to Counterfeit, more experienced agents will work Protective Intelligence (Threat Cases.)

I felt there was good life/work balance. A lot depends on the Supervisor and how the office works together..

In Protection Phase there are WDC Assignments Pres. / V Pres. and Dignitary Protection.. also Former Pres. Details (Now Dallas, Plains, GA, NY...) I went to Former Pres. Bush 41 detail from Houston. I did not have to move, but I went to Maine for 4 summers. I received great training on that detail: Marine Law Enforcement (Boat driving) and Rescue Swimmer (a special course with USSS and USCG instructors. We did go the USCG Rescue Swimmer School for one week..)

When in WDC Some people go to Training Division before or after protection or they go to HQ positions...

I wish you all the best of luck...

Marc
thanks 1 user thanked captmarc for this useful post.
Cody47 on 5/10/2021(UTC)
Allsourceguy  
#144 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 9:19:28 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Im sure CaptMarc will elaborate , but I was told during my SUPER that you generally do not get to start at your home field office because they have had agents leave the service once its time for phase 2 and time to move. Maybe its different if your field office is NYC.. Also I was told that every promotion is tied to a move, meaning you must move to a different field office to get promoted.

Thanks for the insight and keeping this forum active.
thanks 1 user thanked Allsourceguy for this useful post.
Cody47 on 5/10/2021(UTC)
M1keBones  
#145 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 9:58:03 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Tri-State applicant here. I was told that you CAN return to the major East Coast FO's (think DC and NY) even if you applied out of them. Edit to add: You will get FO choices when the final offer call comes. You move to DC for protective assignment after spending 3-4 years at your first Field Office.

Edited by user Monday, May 10, 2021 10:01:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked M1keBones for this useful post.
Cody47 on 5/10/2021(UTC)
captmarc  
#146 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 4:47:45 AM(UTC)
captmarc

Im sure CaptMarc will elaborate , but I was told during my SUPER that you generally do not get to start at your home field office because they have had agents leave the service once its time for phase 2 and time to move. Maybe its different if your field office is NYC.. Also I was told that every promotion is tied to a move, meaning you must move to a different field office to get promoted.

Thanks for the insight and keeping this forum active.

Promotion usually comes with a move.. however at Large Offices some promotions had people stay in place, moving to a different Squad. The USSS is usually looking for people to move to the large offices (NYC, CHI, LA, SF, MIA...) SA's in NYC can go the the Former Clinton Detail in Westchester, NY.. Dallas people can go to Former W Bush detail.. More people request PPD or VPPD in hopes of getting to WDC for more promotion opportunities. There are also more people needed on those Details. Sometimes its a flip of the coin of being in the right place at the right time.

As far as I know, you will know what Office you are going to before going to Training.

Marc

thanks 1 user thanked captmarc for this useful post.
Cody47 on 5/11/2021(UTC)
captmarc  
#147 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 7:19:46 AM(UTC)
captmarc

Not sure of the system now, but we had an online "Wishlist" with Protection and FO or Regional Area preferences 3 each... It was a DOS program with green characters on a black screen!!! You could update your preferences at anytime. Hopefully systems have updated since then..

I was in Houston FO 6 years, some people left after 4 or 5 years. Needs of the Service changes the timeline. You follow the seniority list and see who is transferred then you get the idea when you are up for selection.. Most moves are made first of the Year, Late Spring, late summer. In later years, HQ tried to make moves so children can at least finish a School semester..

Once selected for an a transfer there is a 120 transition. This allows you to have a House Hunting trip (Govt. Paid) and allows you to sell you house if needed.. The Moving Contractor also gives you an offer on your house, if you have trouble selling.. The PCS package is pretty good. Govt paid move including furniture, and mileage for your car.. etc.. This is how the USSS handled things in 2002 (my last move) ... I do not know about other Agencies..
thanks 2 users thanked captmarc for this useful post.
GH on 5/11/2021(UTC), Cody47 on 5/12/2021(UTC)
slondon  
#148 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:26:07 AM(UTC)
slondon

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
No GL can go up to GL 15. Im currently in law enforcement. The L just stands for law enforcement
slondon  
#149 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:45:28 AM(UTC)
slondon

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
No GL can go up to GL 15. Im currently in law enforcement. The L just stands for law enforcement
maaaattyboy  
#150 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 5:47:54 AM(UTC)
maaaattyboy

United States

Hey everyone! Submitted my USSS CI application back in Feb 2021, but have yet to hear back regarding the scheduling of my SAEE. I've gone in and edited and "re-submitted" my application a couple of times in hopes of triggering some notification system... to no avail. When I open my applicant dashboard, my application status says "You will be notified via email. You have answered all the required questions for this grade." Like I said, the status hasn't changed since February now. Can't find any recruiter contact info online, anyone else experience this/have any recommendation on ways forward?
M1keBones  
#151 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 6:02:38 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

Originally Posted by: Matt Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone! Submitted my USSS CI application back in Feb 2021, but have yet to hear back regarding the scheduling of my SAEE. I've gone in and edited and "re-submitted" my application a couple of times in hopes of triggering some notification system... to no avail. When I open my applicant dashboard, my application status says "You will be notified via email. You have answered all the required questions for this grade." Like I said, the status hasn't changed since February now. Can't find any recruiter contact info online, anyone else experience this/have any recommendation on ways forward?

There are two separate announcements for USSS CI on USA Jobs. Go back and look at the "Job Announcement Number". One is SA-ORB02-21-NCN. The other is SA-JS002-21. See which one you applied for. Apply for both as they are two separate announcements for the same job title. If I remember correctly, the USSS has recurring openings for CI and they are usually listed under SA-ORB02-21-NCN. This might be the one which works best.
maaaattyboy  
#152 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 6:18:54 AM(UTC)
maaaattyboy

United States

Originally Posted by: M1keBones Go to Quoted Post

There are two separate announcements for USSS CI on USA Jobs. Go back and look at the "Job Announcement Number". One is SA-ORB02-21-NCN. The other is SA-JS002-21. See which one you applied for. Apply for both as they are two separate announcements for the same job title. If I remember correctly, the USSS has recurring openings for CI and they are usually listed under SA-ORB02-21-NCN. This might be the one which works best.

Hmmm, interesting, but I can't seem to find it. Might just resort to trying the 800 number or my local field office; I'm sure someone will be able to point me in the right direction!
M1keBones  
#153 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 6:20:50 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

Originally Posted by: maaaattyboy Go to Quoted Post

Hmmm, interesting, but I can't seem to find it. Might just resort to trying the 800 number or my local field office; I'm sure someone will be able to point me in the right direction!

When you click the + symbol from your home screen (next to the announcement) you'll see a drop down. On the right hand side you'll see "Job Announcement Number" with one of the codes I indicated above under it.
maaaattyboy  
#154 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 6:24:53 AM(UTC)
maaaattyboy

United States

When you click the + symbol from your home screen (next to the announcement) you'll see a drop down. On the right hand side you'll see "Job Announcement Number" with one of the codes I indicated above under it.

So I applied to 2-21 but can't find the specific NCN announcement using the search function.

Edit*
So if I search on USAJobs, 2-21 comes up.
If I click the apply link on their website, it takes me to the NCN listing.

Edited by user Thursday, May 13, 2021 6:27:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

M1keBones  
#155 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 6:30:48 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

So I applied to 2-21 but can't find the specific NCN announcement using the search function.

Edit*

Just follow the steps below on USA Jobs:

Go to USA Jobs,login

Scroll to the bottom of the page, click "Home." Your application page should come up.

Look for the USSS CI announcement you applied to. Click the + symbol.

Look at the right, you'll see a line that says "Job Announcement Number." The full number should be there.

Edit to add: Under "Job Announcement Number" it should say either SA-ORB02-21-NCN or SA-JS002-21

Edited by user Thursday, May 13, 2021 6:33:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

maaaattyboy  
#156 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 6:53:03 AM(UTC)
maaaattyboy

United States

Edit*

Just follow the steps below on USA Jobs:

Go to USA Jobs,login

Scroll to the bottom of the page, click "Home." Your application page should come up.

Look for the USSS CI announcement you applied to. Click the + symbol.

Look at the right, you'll see a line that says "Job Announcement Number." The full number should be there.

Edit to add: Under "Job Announcement Number" it should say either SA-ORB02-21-NCN or SA-JS002-21

For what it's worth, I applied under the SA-JS002-21 announcement and was contacted for the SAEE within 1-2 weeks I believe. Not sure if that is the announcement you applied under, but that seems to be the one that has worked for me at least.

I'll try both one last time and go from there! I didn't know there were 2 different announcements to begin with, so thanks for the heads up!
Allsourceguy  
#157 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 3:42:33 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Still waiting to hear anything after the SUPER interview. its been 3 weeks and I'm getting nervous lol.
Allsourceguy  
#158 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 4:36:08 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Still waiting to hear anything after the SUPER interview. its been 3 weeks and I'm getting nervous lol.

I feel that. I passed the SAEE a little less than a week ago and I'm already super (no pun intended) anxious. I can't image how I'd feel at the 3 week mark! Does anyone know how long is an average amount of time to wait to hear about the SUPER? I have tried calling the contact number on the USSS job announcement for an app status update, but it just keeps ringing with no answer (I stayed on for more than 20 minutes and still nothing). Any insight on how long it usually takes would be really helpful.

So I had the email for a SUPER date a week after the SAEE.

M1keBones  
#159 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 5:20:48 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

I feel that. I passed the SAEE a little less than a week ago and I'm already super (no pun intended) anxious. I can't image how I'd feel at the 3 week mark! Does anyone know how long is an average amount of time to wait to hear about the SUPER? I have tried calling the contact number on the USSS job announcement for an app status update, but it just keeps ringing with no answer (I stayed on for more than 20 minutes and still nothing). Any insight on how long it usually takes would be really helpful.

So I had the email for a SUPER date a week after the SAEE.

Thanks man, much appreciated for the anecdotal insight. Best of luck regarding your SUPER results! Pulling for you.

Mine was also about a week after passing the SAEE. I wouldn't worry too much though if I was you. There is no "weeding out" as far as I know between the SAEE and SUPER. If you pass the SAEE, you will get a SUPER invite; it just depends on how quickly your field office reaches out. Each FO has a different OPTEMPO I'm guessing.

thanks 1 user thanked M1keBones for this useful post.
Cody47 on 5/14/2021(UTC)
Allsourceguy  
#160 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 5:56:10 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

I know this has been asked before, but are any of you guys worried about the seemingly perpetually low morale that seems to be reported for USSS SAs? As a future family man myself, while I am so excited to go through this prospect and pursue this career, I really wonder if USSS is implementing anything to try to make the career more bearable for family life. My hope at least is that the first few years at an FO will involve at least a somewhat more predictable schedule (during non-election years) to allow for somewhat of a transition to adapt to the new lifestyle, but I'm not so sure about that because there isn't quite as much info on the USSS website for SAs than other agencies have (e.g. FBI SAs) to give an idea of exactly what to expect. It's mostly just for USSS SAs who are disgruntled posting on Fed Soup and Officer.com, so it's unclear if their experiences are the norm or if the norm tends to be better/worse.

Yes I am concerned actually. That's why during my SUPER I asked the agents what they thought of this issue. and they said its a very fulfilling career, and this part kind of stuck with me is he said if your family loves you they will do what ever it takes to make you happy. So if you want to be an agent your family will put up with the frequent travel since its what you want.

I have a small child and I already miss some events from being a Army Reservists so this is concerning but they also said its not as crazy as it sounds. There's plenty of down days. And specifically he said if there's more ***** in the pool then there's less pool to fill lol. What he meant was the more agents there are then the less you will get pulled for travel. Ask these questions at the SUPER man, and get real hand knowledge from experienced agents.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed