Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jeffreys  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 5:10:15 AM(UTC)
jeffreys

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi,
I'm in my second year as a govt employee for the Forest Service and my supervisor is just now creating a Performance Plan. My question is this: is there anything I should know about this that I can use for my benefit? I looked it over, have not signed yet. It feels like a contract, though loosely worded meaning at the end of the year some measures could easily be interpreted subjectively. What should I be weary of?

If I see anything that seems unrealistic, can I push for an edit?

More to this story: We have a temporary hire with my team for the season, who was hired at 2 full GS paygrades above me. He's unskilled & inexperienced, and often I'm the one training him taking on additional responsibility which irks me to no end. It was mentioned to me that I can use the Performance Plan somehow to show light on this arrangement in a way that benefits me. I'm not sure I understand what that means.

Any suggestions or help on this would be great. Thanks!

DaVinci95  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 6:25:39 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Your Performance Plan is intended to describe your main duties and goals so that there is a clear understanding between you and your supervisor on how to evaluate your performance. I'd make sure that the duties are clear and the goals are achievable. If you have concerns with anything, discuss it with your supervisor. Recognize that this is a plan, not a contract. You can be tasked with duties that are not in your plan, and duties that are in your plan can be taken away from you. If you find that your main duties have changed during the year, you can ask your supervisor to revise your plan.

If you include training temps in your plan, you will be expected to train temps as part of your regular duties. It sounds like this isn't a duty you want, so I wouldn't include it in your plan. However, you can still cite it as one of your "other duties as assigned" in your annual self-evaluation.

tic32003  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 7:23:44 AM(UTC)
tic32003

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jeffreys Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I'm in my second year as a govt employee for the Forest Service and my supervisor is just now creating a Performance Plan. My question is this: is there anything I should know about this that I can use for my benefit? I looked it over, have not signed yet. It feels like a contract, though loosely worded meaning at the end of the year some measures could easily be interpreted subjectively. What should I be weary of?

If I see anything that seems unrealistic, can I push for an edit?

More to this story: We have a temporary hire with my team for the season, who was hired at 2 full GS paygrades above me. He's unskilled & inexperienced, and often I'm the one training him taking on additional responsibility which irks me to no end. It was mentioned to me that I can use the Performance Plan somehow to show light on this arrangement in a way that benefits me. I'm not sure I understand what that means.

Any suggestions or help on this would be great. Thanks!

Our agency requires that employees provide input into their performance plans and appraisals. It also requires that all goals meet two criteria. 1. The goals must be measurable and 2. They must be achievable.

You should check to see what your agency's performance appraisal policy says and then go from there. A quick google search found some links you may want to review. https://www.dm.usda.gov/...loy/policy/perf-mgmt.htm

mallen  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:10:00 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Are you in a bargaining unit. There's usually a section in the bargaining agreement about performance plans. (In any case, if your in a bargaining unit you should ALLWAYS read and be familiar with the CBA.
FrankJr  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:12:02 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 114 post(s)
More to this story. Do not compare yourself to other employees in an attempt to improve your standing in the organization. Focus on you and you alone. The other employee may or may not be the son-in-law of the daughter of the Forest Service Chief.

If the performance plan is subjective the performance plan is intentionally subjective. The same goes for final ratings.

The union and the union contract are important components; but do not underestimate the hostile relationship between unions and the current administration. Better to pay the union dues, hostile relationship or not. The unions do not have a lot of leverage today.

The better time to force issues is after the probation and after the transition to career from career conditional. The difference from management is night and day.

The administration is forcing the agencies to address both inflated scale and inflated ratings. The expectation for "outstanding" is 15% of the total but 50% isn't out of the ordinary. 50% of the workforce should not in the outstanding category. The end result is the new employees are forced into the meets category (or lower). The rating is set in stone prior to the performance meeting so no amount of argument will change the rating; but the comments may be changed but may be changed to your detriment.

Guidance from a mentor would be of value. Be involved with every opportunity to learn more about the performance management process.

Run with the cues from the immediate management. Some management have one-on-one meetings every two weeks and some do not. Management unwilling to go to bat for the employees will have no issues with a mass of employees with low ratings. Nothing out of the ordinary for a mass of unhappy federal employees.
djp  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:13:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Is your job flat or a ladder?

Have you seen your job classification based on points?

You could try to tailor job to demonstrate you are actually at a higher GS level.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed