Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
XDS2112  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 6:26:48 AM(UTC)
XDS2112

Groups: Registered
United States

So I recently accepted a new position in the same agency I've worked for for several years. I will be moving to a different office. My EOD is in a couple weeks. Today on USAjobs I found my same job (job I'm leaving) in my home state-a state my wife and I desperately want to return to. In my home state, it's extremely rare for jobs in my series to open at my level. In fact, this is the first time since we left (8 years ago) that I've seen a job in my series at my level in our home state. As I said, I just accepted a new position.
If I apply for this opening and am offered a job, can I leave the new position that I'm just starting? I realize it's bad form and it will be a burned bridge. I get all of that. But are there any rules about leaving a new job so soon? I haven't even applied and there's a chance I wouldn't even get referred. But if there are no rules against this sort of thing, I am going to apply. We live in an area where we are very unhappy and we would love to return home.
nembamike  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 6:31:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 190 post(s)
Of course you can. The problem you will most likely encounter is once the job announcement closes, you get referred (hopefully) and then the interviews are scheduled that may happen after your on boarding date. You will have to see what the timing works out. Good luck.
XDS2112  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 6:36:15 AM(UTC)
XDS2112

United States

Originally Posted by: nembamike Go to Quoted Post
Of course you can. The problem you will most likely encounter is once the job announcement closes, you get referred (hopefully) and then the interviews are scheduled that may happen after your on boarding date. You will have to see what the timing works out. Good luck.

I thought I read somewhere that if you are new in a fed position, you can't be considered for a new position for a certain amount of time. But maybe I'm making that up? I imagine, given my experience with federal jobs, that it would be at least a couple months before a decision is made (assuming I'm referred/interviewed.) The job is far enough away (opposite side of the country) that I imagine they will do phone interviews. So even at the new job, I wouldn't have to worry about taking leave for an interview.
djp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:28:12 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Just apply and see what happens

Since you are a tenured fed these rules don’t apply.

If you are offered the job, the fact it’s in your home area won’t burn bridges. It’s understandable peop,e move back home.

Why are you leaving the job you are in?
mallen  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 12:20:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: XDS2112 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: nembamike Go to Quoted Post

I thought I read somewhere that if you are new in a fed position, you can't be considered for a new position for a certain amount of time. But maybe I'm making that up? I imagine, given my experience with federal jobs, that it would be at least a couple months before a decision is made (assuming I'm referred/interviewed.) The job is far enough away (opposite side of the country) that I imagine they will do phone interviews. So even at the new job, I wouldn't have to worry about taking leave for an interview.

Just apply. Your putting the cart before the horse. If your interviewed, interview. IF your offered a job, THEN you can worry about whether you can (or want to) accept it.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
frankgonzalez on 1/27/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed