Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
karma21rst  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2020 2:42:55 PM(UTC)
karma21rst

Groups: Registered
United States

Ill try to be as short but descriptive as possible.
I retired on April 30th 2018. My paperwork was submitted on April 6th 2018 to get ahead of the game. At the time that was submitted I was waiting to hear back from the Army to see what my percentages were to see if I qualified for Tricare after disability retirement. So at that time I had opted in for FEHB insurance. Between that time and April 18th 2018 I had learned I met percentage requirements for Tricare through the Army based off of my percentages. So I had Human Resources type up the necessary paperwork to terminate my FEHB insurance to OPM because I would no longer be needing it because of my tricare. I have all the proof of this. I got copies from my HR showing that they had submitted it on April 18th 2018 and to have my FEHB terminated on April 30th 2018.

Almost two years later I called OPM to check on the status of my packet. They told me I should be receiving my back pay money. They told me that the back pay amount being paid to me is $7,955.40. I thought that sounded a little low because of my high 3 and that is has been almost two years. They broke it down like this.
$41,250.50 was the gross amount.
Minus $11,746.32 for paying back the money for my FEHB (which I had opted out of)
Minus $4,776.78 for Federal taxes (understandable)
Minus $16,772.00 for over payment of interim payments due to Insurance costs. (insurance once again I had opted out of.)

Now they also tell me that my premium payment for said insurance was $621.27 a month for the FEHB. Even at that price it doesn't justify how much they took. Again...money that should never have been taken to begin with.

Now in this time I had opted in for the Optical and Dental through FEDVIP which I had been paying out of pocket the whole time since I had been receiving the bills to do so.

I don't know what to do now because someone somewhere screwed up bad and I don't believe I should be the one paying for it. I have contacted a state senator and congressman who have started an inquiry into the matter. is there anyone else I can contact to have an investigation opened and someone I can present my evidence that this is all wrong and that someone in the chain of handing my paperwork off screwed up? I'm getting desperate. I had been using credit to get by and was depending on that money to pay it all off. It had taken almost two years to get to this point to begin with and when I finally got to this point someone had screwed it up royally for me.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? What did you do about it? Did you get it worked out in your favor with proof? who can I contact in case my state representatives can not help me?

Thanks in advance. I need help.
mallen  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2020 5:19:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Lawyer
karma21rst  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2020 5:46:54 PM(UTC)
karma21rst

United States

Ive contacted my senators and congressman. An inquiry has been made. Ive thought about a lawyer, but what kind would I contact for that?
mallen  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2020 6:18:55 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
There's often a number for the bar association where they will refer you.
ex-military  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2020 4:58:58 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 84 post(s)
So, have you not been receiving your retirement pay for the last 20 months since you retired? What is all this "back pay" that you keep referring to? Also, if you think 24 days from submitting paperwork to retirement date is "ahead of the game", you are delusional. Next, $621.27 X 20 months (May 2018 - today)= $12,425.40, which is less than what they say you owe.

There may be some issue with OPM here, but you caused this by trying to short circuit the system by dropping retirement papers and then hitting the door. You should have allowed a few months to make sure everything was handled as you wanted before you left. It is always easier to fix things while you are still on board, than to try to fix it from the outside.

Good luck.
karma21rst  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2020 9:04:26 AM(UTC)
karma21rst

United States

I was told that most packets were done after the retirement date or the date of. My HR department said we were doing it then to "get ahead of the game". I have received interim pay since May of 2019. The back pay is the pay dating back to May 1rst 2018. Delusional? Obviously you don't know anything about Disability retirement through the D.O.D. side of things. You obviously have never started the process and nor have you ever gone through it. So your assumptions on how it works makes you look ignorant. If you don't know the process then what are you doing on here making comments on a post that I am genuinely looking for help on the matter by those that have experienced it. I know the math doesn't add up. The numbers I gave up top and the reasons for those numbers are exactly what OPM gave me. Also I didn't try and "short circuit" anything. I did this under the guidance of my HR department. I also did not choose my exit date. That is decided up the chain in this matter. Don't speak on things you know nothing about. Its obvious you don't.
ex-military  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2020 10:09:34 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 84 post(s)
You are correct that I have neither been through nor started a Disability Retirement. However, I have been a Federal worker long enough (26 years and counting) to know that if you are trying to drop any retirement paperwork and be out the door in less than 30 days, you are asking for problems. These circumstances did not just jump up on you out of nowhere, so stop trying to put all the blame on others.

"Packets done after the retirement date or the day of".. sure, if people are doing what you did. Where I am, folks are putting their paperwork in about six months out. Everything is done, all the "i"s dotted etc. Very minimal time on interim retirement pay (like one monthly cycle, if that).

Not sure how much help you are going to get from "those that have experienced it", as most of them probably dont read these boards or keep up with it anymore.
karma21rst  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2020 10:25:33 AM(UTC)
karma21rst

United States

I hate to tell you this but...regular retirement and disability retirement are two different things. I couldn't plan out 6 months when I was going to get booted for and injury. Kind of just happens and you do what you can. On top of that it's O.P.M. that was making my dates for me. Once again...I don't care how long you've been a federal worker, You don't know this side of it. I didn't get to choose the when and where. Time frames were not in my court. I'm sure you'll have a fair share of problems when you get to do your "regular" retirement. Then you'll be on here asking for help as well. You obviously have never dealt with O.P.M. Just stop and enjoy you're time with O.P.M. and good luck. You're going to need it.
GSBS  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 2:48:30 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 311 time(s) in 270 post(s)
Originally Posted by: karma21rst Go to Quoted Post
Ill try to be as short but descriptive as possible.
I retired on April 30th 2018. My paperwork was submitted on April 6th 2018 to get ahead of the game. At the time that was submitted I was waiting to hear back from the Army to see what my percentages were to see if I qualified for Tricare after disability retirement. So at that time I had opted in for FEHB insurance. Between that time and April 18th 2018 I had learned I met percentage requirements for Tricare through the Army based off of my percentages. So I had Human Resources type up the necessary paperwork to terminate my FEHB insurance to OPM because I would no longer be needing it because of my tricare. I have all the proof of this. I got copies from my HR showing that they had submitted it on April 18th 2018 and to have my FEHB terminated on April 30th 2018.

Almost two years later I called OPM to check on the status of my packet. They told me I should be receiving my back pay money. They told me that the back pay amount being paid to me is $7,955.40. I thought that sounded a little low because of my high 3 and that is has been almost two years. They broke it down like this.
$41,250.50 was the gross amount.
Minus $11,746.32 for paying back the money for my FEHB (which I had opted out of)
Minus $4,776.78 for Federal taxes (understandable)
Minus $16,772.00 for over payment of interim payments due to Insurance costs. (insurance once again I had opted out of.)

Now they also tell me that my premium payment for said insurance was $621.27 a month for the FEHB. Even at that price it doesn't justify how much they took. Again...money that should never have been taken to begin with.

Were you ever approved, have you been getting Interim pay during this time? Usually an installment of backpay is paid upfront, and the final funds when your Blue Book comes. Did you get a Blue Book? You should have never made any benefit changes during this time even though it seemed to make sense. Don't expect a State Senator or a State Congressman to fix this complicated mess, only you will be able to address this and it could take months, possibly longer. We have some posts on this in the Disability section, grim reading. OPM's site clearly says you are due a refund, but dealing with the National Finance Center who issues refunds along with OPM & your former FEHB along with Tricare will be the hardest thing you can imagine. OPM just gave me a family I never knew while waiting for Disability Retirement and required $20,000 from my backpay for their heath coverage. I was in current contact with the woman working on my case and she couldn't have cared less. In an act of frustration I asked for her Manager, never took my call again. The problem however was fixed, and there was something extra special sent to me. I felt bad and tried to call "Mrs. Green", but darn if I wasn't still blocked, oh well!
karma21rst  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 9:42:24 PM(UTC)
karma21rst

United States

Were you ever approved, have you been getting Interim pay during this time? Usually an installment of backpay is paid upfront, and the final funds when your Blue Book comes. Did you get a Blue Book? You should have never made any benefit changes during this time even though it seemed to make sense. Don't expect a State Senator or a State Congressman to fix this complicated mess, only you will be able to address this and it could take months, possibly longer. We have some posts on this in the Disability section, grim reading. OPM's site clearly says you are due a refund, but dealing with the National Finance Center who issues refunds along with OPM & your former FEHB along with Tricare will be the hardest thing you can imagine. OPM just gave me a family I never knew while waiting for Disability Retirement and required $20,000 from my backpay for their heath coverage. I was in current contact with the woman working on my case and she couldn't have cared less. In an act of frustration I asked for her Manager, never took my call again. The problem however was fixed, and there was something extra special sent to me. I felt bad and tried to call "Mrs. Green", but darn if I wasn't still blocked, oh well!

I have been receiving interim pat since may 2019. I didn't get any back pay at that time. I also have not received a blue book. I do not know what that is. I didn't make any changes to my insurance after April 18th 2018. Who did you contact there to have a case open and someone running it? I only ever talked to the people that answered the main phone and could look at my progress and status. Do you know who I could start talking to there to see about correcting this issue? And if you don't mind me asking....what do you mean by "something extra special"? Thanks for your reply. This is not an easy situation and I need all the help I can get.
GSBS  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 1:06:57 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 311 time(s) in 270 post(s)
Originally Posted by: karma21rst Go to Quoted Post

I have been receiving interim pat since may 2019. I didn't get any back pay at that time. I also have not received a blue book. I do not know what that is. I didn't make any changes to my insurance after April 18th 2018. Who did you contact there to have a case open and someone running it? I only ever talked to the people that answered the main phone and could look at my progress and status. Do you know who I could start talking to there to see about correcting this issue? And if you don't mind me asking....what do you mean by "something extra special"? Thanks for your reply. This is not an easy situation and I need all the help I can get.
You haven't got the quote button thing down quite right yet! By special I meant a mistake, OPM is prone to making them in Finalization. The Blue Book contains all your figures OPM uses and can be very valuable when trying to make sense of this mess. It will list your time in service, your High 3, your Annuity amount, Money due to you (if any), your taxes, your FEHB or FEGLI (if applicable). I believe any other supplemental benefits you pay direct. I bet there will be no mention of Tricare, just a guess? I find it strange they gave you these figures over the phone, sounds like your book was printed, they took all this extra money from you, and never sent your back pay. I'd call the OPM Retirement Services call center and try to find out if anyone is working on your claim and get their contact info. While 8 months of Interim pay isn't unusual, no backpay is highly unusual, and those numbers OPM gave you are a great indicator you have some big problems ahead.

You may contact OPM's Retirement Office by phone at 1 (888) 767-6738 or by e-mail at retire@opm.gov. The phone lines are open Monday through Friday 7:30am to 7:45pm eastern time.

Edited by user Friday, January 31, 2020 1:26:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked GSBS for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 2/13/2020(UTC)
SD Analyst  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 4:11:10 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 420 time(s) in 359 post(s)
I would post this under the Disability Retirement forum. Lots of folks on there who have been through similar experiences can give you advice. https://forum.federalsou...lt.aspx?g=topics&f=4
Rss Feed  Atom Feed