Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans."

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dominic82  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2020 11:33:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I was discharged from the Army in 1983 with a back injury and suffer from (Chronic Lumbar Strain Syndrome) which over the years have gone from 20% up to 70% in 2012. I've been taking an assortment of meds over the years and as of the last 2 years I've been on Vicodin and getting Bupivacaine Injections 2x a month that allows me to stand and walk for prolong periods of time which my jobs requires. Recently, I was denied Vicodin by both the VA and my private physician due to the crackdown on opiods.

What, if any, would it take to get a 100% disability rating? I would love to take a desk job but at 67, the only descent paying job is as an armed security guard. Admin jobs that I've applied for and a few "I know" I qualified did not select me. One of the major reasons which, by law, the company can't tell me is because of my age (the company can't get 20, 30 or 40 years out of me (and I understand:)

Thanks
djp  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 1:53:42 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Being 100% isn’t going to change what drug you can get
Dominic82  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 5:51:35 AM(UTC)

I'm not talking about the "meds". I'm talking about because of the meds and treatments over the last 2 years by a private physician would this possibly be justifiable to a legal case to obtain a 100% rating...........
Metalhed  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:51:30 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
File for Individual Unemployability
TheRealOrange  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 6:04:10 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dominic82 Go to Quoted Post
I was discharged from the Army in 1983 with a back injury and suffer from (Chronic Lumbar Strain Syndrome) which over the years have gone from 20% up to 70% in 2012. I've been taking an assortment of meds over the years and as of the last 2 years I've been on Vicodin and getting Bupivacaine Injections 2x a month that allows me to stand and walk for prolong periods of time which my jobs requires. Recently, I was denied Vicodin by both the VA and my private physician due to the crackdown on opiods.

What, if any, would it take to get a 100% disability rating? I would love to take a desk job but at 67, the only descent paying job is as an armed security guard. Admin jobs that I've applied for and a few "I know" I qualified did not select me. One of the major reasons which, by law, the company can't tell me is because of my age (the company can't get 20, 30 or 40 years out of me (and I understand:)

Thanks

The VA Schedule for Rating Disabilities (VASRD) should have the requirements for reaching specific percentage levels based on your particular disability. If you have more than one disability, the VA calculation of adding the disability percentages is used, and it is not simple addition, i.e., 40% plus 20% may not equal 60%. For the "General Rating Formula for Diseases and Injuries of the Spine," the current VASRD ratings do not include a 70% rating at any level. Are you rated for more than one disability? In any event, without knowing the VASRD rating code(s) used in your case, it would be difficult to assess whether you could, and what it would take to, receive a 100% rating.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed