Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Matrix  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:16:38 AM(UTC)
Matrix

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It would seem you get early retirement at BOP, no? A GS-14 is excellent, but I get so often it comes at a loss. Of course, it takes a long time for me to get to Step 10.

I'm in a low cost area, houses at 300,000 would be in the millions at high-cost locales. Yet the GS scale only gives maybe 10,000 more/year. It certainly doesn't pay for triple the living costs.

Staying local, just one promotion gets me to $120,000 w/steps. I just feel the 13+ grades are where any potential decision making is made within the organization. Many focus on money, which I'm looking for more meaningful work. I don't know how D.C. fairs there, as maybe a 13 is a dime a dozen and has zero influence. Or maybe because it's the capital, ideas flow easier to senior leadership.
BOPDentist  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 9:34:55 AM(UTC)
BOPDentist

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Yes in the BOP you can get an early retirement. However I came in at a later age. Because I am a dentist, the age requirement did not apply. Anyhow, I still have to do 20 years in the BOP to get Law Enforce. retirement. If I leave BOP earlier than the 20 years, then my total years in federal service will apply towards the non-LEO style retirement.

Still, my perspective (alone) has been that sometimes moving around in search for something better or more, is just too costly. And that staying put is not necessarily bad. But hindsight only comes with experience and time.
djp  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 3:25:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Matrix Go to Quoted Post
It would seem you get early retirement at BOP, no? A GS-14 is excellent, but I get so often it comes at a loss. Of course, it takes a long time for me to get to Step 10.

I'm in a low cost area, houses at 300,000 would be in the millions at high-cost locales. Yet the GS scale only gives maybe 10,000 more/year. It certainly doesn't pay for triple the living costs.

Staying local, just one promotion gets me to $120,000 w/steps. I just feel the 13+ grades are where any potential decision making is made within the organization. Many focus on money, which I'm looking for more meaningful work. I don't know how D.C. fairs there, as maybe a 13 is a dime a dozen and has zero influence. Or maybe because it's the capital, ideas flow easier to senior leadership.

13 is common. It’s usually not supervisory.

Outside of DC or agency HQ ...13s are hard to come by and peop,e will stay till they retire. 14s and 15s are rare.

In DC just on a 13 salary you can afford a house. You can’t afford a house as a 15 in DC.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed