Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CombatCameraNJ  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2020 6:41:28 PM(UTC)
CombatCameraNJ

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello everyone,

I recently joined the federal government and wanted to add all my military time for leave purposes. It is not much but it will get me closer to the three year mark of 6hrs of leave per pay period. I received credit for when my National Guard unit was called up. However, my time for my initial active duty (basic training + AIT) was considered not creditable service because the character of service on my DD214 reads as uncharacterized. I thought that if you serve less than 180 days than an entry level seperation is applicable. However, my initial active duty (basic training + AIT) was over a year. My DD214 also states that the type of seperation was a released from active duty training. The narrative reason for seperation states completion of required active service. Normally, I would not care but this represents 14 months of creditable time.

Any thoughts on how to address this would be much appreciated.

Edited by user Sunday, February 9, 2020 6:33:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Exit7A  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 2:32:10 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 141 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CombatCameraNJ Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone,

I recently joined the federal government and wanted to add all my military time for leave purposes. It is not much but it will get me closer to the three year mark of 6hrs of leave per pay period. I received credit for when my National Guard unit was called up. However, my time for my initial active duty (basic training + AIT) was considered not creditable service because the character of service on my DD214 reads as uncharacterized. I thought that if you serve less than 180 days than an entry level seperation is applicable. However, my initial active duty (basic training + AIT) was over a year. My DD214 also states that the type of seperation was a released from active duty training. The narrative reason for seperation states completion of required active service. Normal, I would not care but this represents 14 months of creditable time.

Contact your HR rep...they can let you know what forms to submit to the appropriate service center.
That's all I got to say about that.
thanks 1 user thanked Exit7A for this useful post.
CombatCameraNJ on 2/9/2020(UTC)
ccaia  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2020 11:00:45 AM(UTC)
ccaia

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
how long does it take to be added to your leave category? I am currently at the Post Office and I have 2 years that I bought back from the Peace Corps in December 2019, my AL category still has me at 4 and am wondering how long it takes for time to be credited to move me to the higher AL category.
HR Bubba  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2020 3:54:35 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 243 time(s) in 197 post(s)
I don't think your HR office can do anything for you, civilian HR does not have anything to do with how your DD214 is coded, we simply review them to see if they meet requirements to credit the service. In order to be creditable the service needs to be performed under honorable conditions, "uncharacterized" does not meet the criteria. If you believe your DD214 is coded in error, you will need to address that issue with your branch of service.
SD Analyst  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2020 12:02:28 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 422 time(s) in 361 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ccaia Go to Quoted Post
how long does it take to be added to your leave category? I am currently at the Post Office and I have 2 years that I bought back from the Peace Corps in December 2019, my AL category still has me at 4 and am wondering how long it takes for time to be credited to move me to the higher AL category.

You need to contact Shared Services and request that your Service Computation Date be recomputed based on your Peace Corps time. You will need to provide them with the documentation. Once that is done, your A/L category should change.
FS0201  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2020 12:51:18 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 256 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CombatCameraNJ Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone,

I recently joined the federal government and wanted to add all my military time for leave purposes. It is not much but it will get me closer to the three year mark of 6hrs of leave per pay period. I received credit for when my National Guard unit was called up. However, my time for my initial active duty (basic training + AIT) was considered not creditable service because the character of service on my DD214 reads as uncharacterized. I thought that if you serve less than 180 days than an entry level seperation is applicable. However, my initial active duty (basic training + AIT) was over a year. My DD214 also states that the type of seperation was a released from active duty training. The narrative reason for seperation states completion of required active service. Normally, I would not care but this represents 14 months of creditable time.

See this form for requesting correction to your discharge characterization - https://arba.army.pentag.../documents/DDForm293.pdf

The address to which it is submitted is near the end.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Tanker1497  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 7:39:15 AM(UTC)

Not sure you reach a fix. But I had a similar issue late into my Federal time after buying all what I thought to be all my time. My agency USAF ANG was able to cut a DD215 to correct my time. The mistake. The was all that was needed for OPM. I did the leg work which was done with one call and printed online!
steve
Rss Feed  Atom Feed