Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jakeabambo  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 8:57:27 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Good Evening Everyone,

So, I am in a odd situation. I got hired on a ladder position 7/9/11/12, and I am only on my 8th month mark. I have a GS 14 classmate from college that wants to pick me up as a GS 13. Is this possible? She said she might need to switch a billet to GG 13 but it would be easier for it to stay in the GS pay scale. I am trying to be proactive and do research on her part. I haven't found anything on OPM, but I think this situation is under the normal T.I.G standard or maybe because it is unique it is not.

Any feedback is good. Even if you point me in the right direction for me to find the information. Maybe I am looking for the wrong keywords on Google.
Jakeabambo  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 9:55:15 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Man
United States

Is this cheating the system? If it is then I can say no

It is a direct hire so I see why it wouldnt be posted.

I am in a PhD program and have 3 years of work experience in the field that I am currently in and what shes trying to get me in...

I took this more as she seen my technical proficiency and thought I was undersold with the ladder position. I took that so I could get my foot in the door
Jakeabambo  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 10:10:34 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Man
United States

Interesting. maybe I will reconsider then. Thank you.

The only reason why I know this direct hire portion as a GS 7 is cause my current boss did the same thing. His exact words for me becoming a GS7 was " I like you. You are willing to learn anything, a hard worker, and I have a direct hiring billet. you dont need to interview. Come on board and I'll get your foot in the door as a 7"
Jakeabambo  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 10:14:52 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Man
United States

I am a 80% disabled vet. Maybe that is why?
Jakeabambo  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 10:25:09 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Man
United States

Thank you, this is all great information. I think I need to talk to my HR department beforehand. I'd like to avoid all legal punishment.
Jakeabambo  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 10:51:23 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Man
United States

Thank you regardless. I will tread lightly and make sure HR is aware so that if it is against the rules that it gets stopped instead of caught later and my federal career is over.
Jakeabambo  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 10:53:17 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Man
United States

Also I am not fimilar with schedule A. I wonder if direct hiring authority is a slang for schedule A now. I'll do some research.
Jakeabambo  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 11:08:30 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Man
United States

So, I found some information pretty quickly. This also might be beneficial to other people that get into this situation. Now I am not saying what is being done is right, I will talk to my HR department to get confirmation:

Direct hiring are for critical positions in STEM fields (and some few select others if I am reading this correctly). Mine is a STEM field. I am a Computer scientist with a focus in cyber warfare, and that is what my PhD. Here is the resources for that information. One is OPM directly and one is Reddit, because it is easier to digest. Apparently, it cuts a lot of the requirements needed for the hiring process but has to be approved for it to be a direct hiring billet.

https://www.reddit.com/r...direct_hire_experiences/
https://www.opm.gov/poli...Governmentwide-Authority

Edited by user Friday, February 7, 2020 11:11:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jakeabambo  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2020 11:33:20 PM(UTC)
Jakeabambo

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Unknown User Go to Quoted Post

Thank you
DaVinci95  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 6:30:07 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 86 post(s)
As long as you meet the requirements for the position and have outside experience equivalent to a GS-12, there is nothing wrong with your friend hiring you for the position. However, you say that you only have 3 years experience. In my opinion that is not enough.

As for Schedule A, being an 80% disabled vet doesn't necessarily mean you have a qualifying disability. Check out the requirements. You would also have to meet the qualifications for the position.
djp  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 11:04:54 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jakeabambo Go to Quoted Post

Being 30% gives you non announced job placement

If you have a PhD entry is 11 and 2 yrs experience gets you to 13.

djp  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 12:14:49 PM(UTC)

Schedule A and 30% disabled are direct hiring authority.

General idea of schedule A eligibility ...if you have a disability that woukd likely DQ from military service you likely are eligible.

I have schedule A eligibility....I haven’t used it but it’s in my back pocket because it’s non compete appt but you are in a separate status group for 2 yrs thrn you shift into normal fed status.
djp  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 12:21:08 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: DaVinci95 Go to Quoted Post
As long as you meet the requirements for the position and have outside experience equivalent to a GS-12, there is nothing wrong with your friend hiring you for the position. However, you say that you only have 3 years experience. In my opinion that is not enough.

As for Schedule A, being an 80% disabled vet doesn't necessarily mean you have a qualifying disability. Check out the requirements. You would also have to meet the qualifications for the position.

That doesn't matter in this case as his friend is hiring him. The reason I disagree, if any other applicants to call this individual friend about any jobs, they would be told to look on USAJOBS.

Greater than 30% is a schedule A category for non sompetitive placement into jobs BEFORE they are EVER announced on USA jobs

There are a person or people that handle these placements

If you wotk and are looking inside an agency many job announcements usually have a short list of applicants in mind for the job. If they have a person in mind they tailor the job to them so they score the best and can be selected.

FrankJr  
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 5:20:45 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jakeabambo Go to Quoted Post

At the office 40% of the employees are veterans and the level of disability is a badge of honor. As the saying goes, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? How is percentage of disability a qualification? Rhetorical. The noted example is textbook favoritism, another badge of honor.
FrankJr  
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 5:25:53 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 117 post(s)
I think Schedule A Hiring Authority would be the safest bid to go through. I can imagine the federal employees working in that office and same position, would make noise about this hiring. When I was working at DoD, all staff call meeting slides had all jobs pending to be posted on USAJOBs.

The individual in charge of this did not post their job on the staff call slide. There were people that wanted to apply. The job was only open for 24 hrs period, so the individual could be upgraded from a GS-11 to GS-12. After people found out the information was hidden, there were 12 angry federal employees.

Schedule A is an excepted service position with a 24 month "trial period". Not the safest as management can walk you out the door without a moment's notice during the "trial period", regardless of the number of years of service.
HR Bubba  
#16 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 11:11:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 249 time(s) in 200 post(s)
Easiest route assuming that you meet any educational requirements (if a degree is required at all for the position) and you have the relevant experience (1 year equivalent to next lower grade) is to place you using the 30% or more disabled veteran hiring authority. Only documentation you need to provide for this authority is DD214 & documentation proving disability (e.g., VA letter). Here is the info for it from the vetguide:

30 Percent or More Disabled Veterans

An agency may give a noncompetitive temporary appointment of more than 60 days or a term appointment to any veteran:
•retired from active military service with a disability rating of 30 percent or more; or
•rated by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) since 1991 or later to include disability determinations from a branch of the Armed Forces at any time, as having a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more.

There is no grade level limitation for this authority, but the appointee must meet all qualification requirements, including any written test requirement.

The agency may convert the employee, without a break in service, to a career or career-conditional appointment at any time during the employee's temporary or term appointment.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed