Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jmep  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 6:41:01 AM(UTC)
jmep

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi - I'm new to the forum and I tried to find the answer or some advice on what to do / how to do it. I have a masters of science degree in computer information systems (engineering school) and have 30 years experience in IT. I have wanted to work in the federal sector since I worked as a federal contractor at Kennedy Space Center. I finally got an interview after years of applying and took the position - a GS 13/10. I realized shortly after I joined that my work in the private sector was way above the position's experience level. What's worse is my IT experience isn't really being utilized and I am answering to people who have significantly less experience and credentials than I do. I have been applying to GS 14 and 15, but the 13/10 gets me kicked out or referred with no further activity; or again, not selected (not even an interview, etc.). I have decided to hire a professional writer to help me with my resume and would like to apply to SES or SL positions. Am I wasting my time and money?

I know I am qualified to do the job (more than qualified) based on my observations, my talent with technology, budget and strategic planning experience. This past year I established the budget and spending plan for information security for my entire agency and I am the go-to person for all things budget and spending (over $40M) - but I am not getting any recognition or credit for it because of the lesser GS-13 status - I am not invited to meetings where budget is discussed with the CIO or DCIO, even though it always comes back to me for answers. Furthermore, I have an opportunity in the private sector to join in an executive position, but if I attempt to return to federal service in the future or even try to stay in the civil service now, I fear I will be stuck in a GS-13 and kicked out automatically for anything above GS-14 in spite of the vacancy announcement clearly stating that private sector experience is considered and counts toward the position responsibilities and qualifications. I have shown that I am technically savvy and have a boatload of credentials - PMP, CISSP, AWS Cloud Practitioner, Professional Scrum Master, FAC-P/PM III with an IT CORE Specialization. The reason I left the private sector is that I was a Senior Technical Project Manager and couldn't advance my career at all (worked in Health Insurance and did a lot of systems analysis and data integrations type projects for major enterprise initiatives and answering directly to the C-Suite and Business Unit heads). So why am I hitting yet another ceiling/not getting any positive movement beyond a 'highly qualified...referred to the hiring manager' (11 at last count) and never hear from them again (not even to tell me someone else is selected even in my own agency). If you assume I am being arrogant or too confident in my experience, I have taken many classes with other IT Project Managers while in the federal government and have found that I have more knowledge and experience with all things technical - computer architecture, computer engineering, programming and software development, than my peers in the class, and I have more years of technical project/program management experience (15 yrs). Any advice from your observations and/or experience would be greatly appreciated.

djp  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 10:54:26 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 144 post(s)
I do t know what levrl your private sector work was like vs the particular job you now have.

Where I work the office has a $300M budget and GS 14s overseethis split up roughly evenly among them all exceeding $40M each.

Based on outsideexperience you can apply fir GS 15 as an outsider

You can app,y for SES positions if you are GS 13-15

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
jmep on 2/8/2020(UTC)
jmep  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 12:36:00 PM(UTC)
jmep

United States

Thank you for the information. I was a Manager in the private sector and a Sr. Technical Project Manager before that for 15 years. I was hired to do technical project management work in cyber-security but I'm not doing that. I am doing more administration work. Thanks again for the info - someone on the forum gave the advice to apply and forget it. That's what I am going to do and follow the same strategy for the private sector, where I have contacts. We'll see where that gets me.
Citrine  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 1:04:28 PM(UTC)
Citrine

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
how long have you been a gs13?

are you applying to jobs open to the public?

a well-experienced person I know took a gs12 spot after retiring from the military. then he learned that had to work a year before being eligible for a gs13 ..... because he was in the system.

GWPDA  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 5:31:40 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 507 time(s) in 425 post(s)
https://www.usajobs.gov/...enior-executive-service/

There are two paths to SES. Both are covered at the above link.
LawOrder  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 8:49:50 PM(UTC)
LawOrder

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There’s a 12-month time-in-grade requirement before you can be eligible for the next grade. If you’ve been in the GS-13 position for less than 12 months, you will not be eligible for any GS-14 positions.

Likewise, for GS-15, you are required to be in GS-14 for 12 months.
FS0201  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 9:06:48 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 286 time(s) in 250 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LawOrder Go to Quoted Post
There’s a 12-month time-in-grade requirement before you can be eligible for the next grade. If you’ve been in the GS-13 position for less than 12 months, you will not be eligible for any GS-14 positions.

SES and SL/ST are not subject to time in grade restrictions. OP may be able to qualify based on private sector experience.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
frankgonzalez  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2020 4:36:52 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1024 time(s) in 812 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LawOrder Go to Quoted Post

SES and SL/ST are not subject to time in grade restrictions. OP may be able to qualify based on private sector experience.
I will also note that DCIPS positions are not subject to TIG restrictions.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed