Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WorkerBeeZ  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 9:59:59 PM(UTC)
WorkerBeeZ

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

I tried to do as much research as I could regarding desk audits, WGIs, and QSI's. I'm currently a GS13/7. I am due for a step increase in June. My goal is to become a GS14, making sure I get the highest step possible if I am able to get there. My supervisor believes I should be a 14, and he would back my desk audit (I fully understand that a successful audit is rarely successful, but I am hopeful). My supervisor also said my excellent work this year could get me a QSI. Having said all that, could having a successful audit prior to my step increase and QSI actually hurt me in the long run? Let's assume desk audit is successful and I get my QSI also. Here are a few mock scenarios I thought out:

A) Start desk audit now. Desk audit is successful and I am promoted to GS14 prior to step (GS13/8) increase. Lets say this happened in May 2020. According to the two-step promotion rule, I would be a GS14/4. A QSI shortly after the grade promotion would bring me to GS14/5

B) Wait for step increase in June 2020. This would bring me to a GS13/8. Supervisor gives me QSI, bringing me to GS13/9. Start desk audit after QSI later this year. If Desk Audit is successful, I would still start as a GS14/5.

C) Start desk audit in April or May 2020. While desk audit is occurring, I get my step increase in June 2020, bringing me to GS13/8. Desk audit comes back successfully and I am promoted to GS14/5 let's say in July 2020. I get QSI shortly after GS14 promotion, bringing me to GS14/6.

Are all these scenarios actually possible? C sounds like best case scenario and A & B play out similarly. I totally understand I have no control over the timing of the desk audit. However, a friend of mine mentioned his took 4 months start to finish. I hope to get some feedback from those familiar with the HR process in all this.

Thanks in advance!
nembamike  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2020 4:22:29 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 190 post(s)
All possible but not likely in my opinion. First you are making the assumption that the desk audit would end up in your favor. Maybe, maybe not. The ones I have seen were not successful. I just retired after 34 years and I can count on one hand how many QSI's and WGI's that were given out. I would also add getting a successful desk audit and a QSI is very unlikely. I will assume you are applying for GS-14 positions currently.
WorkerBeeZ  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2020 6:09:52 AM(UTC)
WorkerBeeZ

United States

Originally Posted by: nembamike Go to Quoted Post
All possible but not likely in my opinion. First you are making the assumption that the desk audit would end up in your favor. Maybe, maybe not. The ones I have seen were not successful. I just retired after 34 years and I can count on one hand how many QSI's and WGI's that were given out. I would also add getting a successful desk audit and a QSI is very unlikely. I will assume you are applying for GS-14 positions currently.

Thanks for your input @nembamike. Yes, you are correct, and I have already stated my assumptions as such. QSI's seem to be common where I work, and it came from my supervisor that I would likely get one this year if I continued at an outstanding level. I am NOT currently applying for GS-14 positions. I am going to do the desk audit because I strongly believe the work I am doing now should be a GS14 (and my supervisor believes it also). The QSI seems likely while the desk audit will be more challenging. However, I have looked through the classifications handbook and can easily argue my basis for more pts in the FLD's for my PD.

I'm just pointing out the scenarios b/c scenario C) sounds much better than A and B. Back in the day when I was a 12, I didn't look at timing and just wanted my 13 as fast as possible. I was only a couple months away from my next step increase when I got my 13. If I could go back, I would have tried to work out getting my 13 after my step increase happened...

WorkerBeeZ  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2020 9:28:23 AM(UTC)
WorkerBeeZ

United States

Another question I had about my situation. I agree with my PD for the most part.. at most, it could use a few minor tweaks. However, I disagree with the points assigned for the Factor Level Descriptions of job classification. Would a desk audit help in this situation as well?
djp  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2020 10:04:29 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 144 post(s)
QSI awards depend on agency. Some rarely give them and others will award them to prople.

Desk audit can work...a big factor is how you are relative to coworkers..if you are a 13 and others in your team are 14it can work.

In my first fedjob we had 3 surveys we conducted. Each had a survey lead. 2 were 14 the other was a 13 and she was a woman while the other two were male. They did functionally the same work and requirements and dhould be the same level.

In my current position I can do a desk audit on my job. Mine is more complicated because it also should be a series reclassification first then the desk audit woukd then make it obvious I’m classified incorrectly.

I know the Pom point grading system for levrl scoring.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed