Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OBE17  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:37:55 AM(UTC)
OBE17

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Does anyone have any experience with that stipulation in the Shadrick Formula that states that "2, 5, or 10-year-old claims, where the job rate has either doubled due to boom or halved due to bust, cancel out its effectiveness."

I've been out for 36 years! I was a WG10 Step 3 earning $444.80 at the time of injury. That pay rate today is $950.40 today!

If its use was apropos there is only so much they could hurt me! That would be good news.

Somebody PLEASE tell me something good...lol?
OBE17  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 3:43:34 AM(UTC)
OBE17

United States

This happens to me often. I think it's due to the questions I ask. The simple ones, that usually amount to nothing more difficult than asking someone where the restroom is, get a slew of replies but ask a question that is a little "knotty" and you check-in everyday and stare at a big ZERO in your reply column.

My question relates to the way in which a claims examiner calculates an IWs LWEC benefit and some "expert" throws the Shadrick Formula at you as if the seven numbers in that equation are simple to arrive at. The truth is, there are some less obvious considerations attached to WEC, LWEC, Actual Earning Capacity %. Actual Earning Capacity Amount, and Wage Earning Capacity Loss that call for the application of some in-depth exploration. These "experts" don't delve into the question too far perhaps not because they don't know the answer but because they aren't going to give-up the answer for FREE!

If anyone wants to know the answer (which, by the way I figured out for myself) I'll gladly share it. In my case it has to do mostly with increases over time, cost of living, and the CPI. And for that matter, a seemingly basic quandry of, which figure goes in which Item.
swimmingly  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2020 1:20:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
what agency were you with.. I haven't been on this site in a long time. I had one done an later found out the agency I worked for used bad information and I received a much lower amount. I called when I found some information in the ELM, on how that worked and saw what formala was supposed to be used. OWCP didn't care when I called them on it a couple of years later stating it was to late. If your getting screwed in some way, do a congressional inquire. OWCP will have to respond within 30 days... post updates for us
OBE17  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 12:36:39 AM(UTC)
OBE17

United States

Thanx swimmingly. As you can see from the time-stamp I'm up in the middle of the night again instead of sleeping!

Be sure not to miss my other post. It answers a lot of questions you may have about my case.

Unlike Tom Selleck, "this IS my first RODEO!" lol

But I've learned a lot. I notice most people don't come here faithfully.

There are about half-dozen of us who correspond via email. It's good to have someone to talk to even if it's just to let-off-steam.

I made an Excel spreadsheet for calculating Shadrick and CPI. I can give it to you if you'd like.

Did I tell you my EA? It's NAVSEA Shipyards INACTIVE I was a Sheet metal Mechanic WG-10 I worked at PNSY (PHILLY)
swimmingly  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 6:08:16 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Do you remember filling for disability retirement when you were injured? You need to check with OPM and double check......
OBE17  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 6:27:21 AM(UTC)
OBE17

United States

That's one of the "off-standard" conditions that apply in my personal case. I'm different than most and that's why I have so much trouble being understood. lol

I have nothing to do with the OPM because I didn't make it to 5 years. I get no gov't. pension rights. I got hurt in my 5th year.

Then when you talk about pension, SS comes to mind and when I worked for Uncle Sam we didn't pay FICA taxes so all of the taxes toward my SS I paid while I was working in the private sector. The upside to that is...FECA is not allowed to touch my SS.

The downside is I had only 15 years of good earnings, those years from High School to getting a job at the Navy Yard after GE closed my plant. I didn't pay in while at the Navy Yard and then when they kicked me out the door, the 35 years after that I worked in the private sector again BUT since I was under-employed I was being affected by my injury two-fold...while I was living hand-to-mouth and now that I'm old I get a tiny SS check.

Of course OWCP doesn't care about that, they simply tout their mantra that OWCP is NOT a retirement plan! And so they want to kick retirement age IWs off the rolls. This is what makes me so mad. I explain that to them but it falls on deaf ears!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed